Barrel length vs. Handguard length?

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
Saburai

Barrel length vs. Handguard length?

Post by Saburai »

Hi gang!
How does barrel length correlate with handguard length? In other words, for instance will a 9" handguard be even with the end of a 9" barrel?
Thanks!
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable people on AR15's here but...

I have a 7" handguard on a upper with a 7.5" barrel and the handguard ends right before the threads for the muzzle brake begin. So maybe a 9" handguard would be flush with a 9" barrel?
George W

Post by George W »

Handguards are different than rail systems. Typically, handguards are held on by the FSB, so they have no correlation to barrels length. Rail systems however, typically are true to the stated length. Since they are usually attached at or with the barrel nut, they are usually true to length.... a 9 inch rail will probably come very close to the end of a 9 inch barrel.
Saburai

Post by Saburai »

Thanks guys! Yes, I should've stated that I was referring to a free floating handguard.
BTW, on the JP Rifles tube that I put on my 6920 the rail was optional. George thanks again for the clarification! Yes, I should have realized that since it's held on by the barrel nut, they should be pretty darn close.
Last edited by Saburai on Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Also note that not all rails clearly advertise their actual length, but as mentioned a 10" rail typically ends just about at the threads on a 10.5" barrel +/- a touch.