Voting Early?

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
FfNJGTFO

Voting Early?

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Just curious. I see one of the better Republican strategists complain on TV that Republicans, in general, wait until Election day to vote in person, whereas the democrats take full advantage of "early voting" and "mail in voting." He warns that waiting until election day might have consequences... (i.e. you're sick and can't get to the polls, or there's a household emergency or something going on with the kids and you can't go). Furthermore, if everyone descends on the polling place on election day, there could be other problems and everyone who shows up might not get to vote, etc. OTOH, on the "pro" side of waiting for election day, you get to see all the "interactions" between the candidates before voting (i.e. late debates, etc.). Some people who voted one way might have "voter's remorse" after seeing a certain debate performance. Furthermore, and a very remote if not unlikely scenario, one might think that if we don't publicize, in advance, the actual number of republican voters via "early voting" it might be more difficult for the dem machine to know in advance, how many "phantom" votes would be needed to throw the election to their candidates. Unlikely, as stated, because I'm sure the dem operatives would know registration figures in advance and would know how many are needed.

I tend to try and vote on election day at the polling place. I vote in the morning after commuter rush hour when the polling place should be less crowded. I have voted early on occasion and I voted by mail only once (in a primary). I much prefer to vote in person on election day.

Thoughts? Are the republicans "shooting themselves in the foot" by not spreading out the vote over the early period and ensuring that all republicans that intend to vote get the chance? Or, is it better to wait until election day?
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I usually do the same, as our voting place is usually quite empty. But since they mailed me a ballot, I filled it out, & mailed it back. GARY.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

N4KVE wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:31 am I usually do the same, as our voting place is usually quite empty. But since they mailed me a ballot, I filled it out, & mailed it back. GARY.
In Pasco County, mail-in ballots are not distributed automatically. You have to request it, and provide ID on their website.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:25 am Just curious. I see one of the better Republican strategists complain on TV that Republicans, in general, wait until Election day to vote in person, whereas the democrats take full advantage of "early voting" and "mail in voting." He warns that waiting until election day might have consequences... (i.e. you're sick and can't get to the polls, or there's a household emergency or something going on with the kids and you can't go). Furthermore, if everyone descends on the polling place on election day, there could be other problems and everyone who shows up might not get to vote, etc. OTOH, on the "pro" side of waiting for election day, you get to see all the "interactions" between the candidates before voting (i.e. late debates, etc.). Some people who voted one way might have "voter's remorse" after seeing a certain debate performance. Furthermore, and a very remote if not unlikely scenario, one might think that if we don't publicize, in advance, the actual number of republican voters via "early voting" it might be more difficult for the dem machine to know in advance, how many "phantom" votes would be needed to throw the election to their candidates. Unlikely, as stated, because I'm sure the dem operatives would know registration figures in advance and would know how many are needed.

I tend to try and vote on election day at the polling place. I vote in the morning after commuter rush hour when the polling place should be less crowded. I have voted early on occasion and I voted by mail only once (in a primary). I much prefer to vote in person on election day.

Thoughts? Are the republicans "shooting themselves in the foot" by not spreading out the vote over the early period and ensuring that all republicans that intend to vote get the chance? Or, is it better to wait until election day?

During one of the RPOF Quarterly Meetings I attended. The Party was concerned about election day only voters. The word from the Party was simple, they hated Trump and his message of "you must only vote in person on election day, don't trust vote by mail or early voting."

Why? Because early absentee voting is a huge win for the Democrats not because of fraud, but because of circumstance.

The RPOF was losing a lot of local elections to Democrats and couldn't figure out why at first. Then it dawned on them. Mail in ballots were automated reminders to voters to vote. Since Trump pushed the mantra that mail in ballots are bad, a lot of Republican voters were missing local and special elections.

Democrats were getting mail in ballots and that let them know that there was an election, Republicans weren't and they didn't vote.

A good chunk of election day only voters usually come out only for Presidential elections. Since FL's gubernatorial election is not during the presidential election, some of those staunch election day only voters skip the gubernatorial election too.

All in all, the RPOF has spent the past year worried about it along with voter turnout as a whole due to the "election was stolen, so it doesn't mean anything anymore, not worth voting anyways" message Trump pushed in Georgia back in 2020.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:35 am
N4KVE wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:31 am I usually do the same, as our voting place is usually quite empty. But since they mailed me a ballot, I filled it out, & mailed it back. GARY.
In Pasco County, mail-in ballots are not distributed automatically. You have to request it, and provide ID on their website.
That is statewide per election law. You must request a ballot.

https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/for ... e-by-mail/

You can deal directly with the Dept. of State or deal with your local Supervisor of Elections office. But you must request it.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

I personally do vote by mail for two reasons.

1. It allows me to study the ballot in extreme detail and do research on any issue without feeling the pressure of the clock of beingin a polling location. No rush, whatsoever.

2. Since I have the ballot early, I can hold onto it. You don’t have to return it by mail. You can deliver it in person to the local polling place. I've done that a few times too.

Been voting by mail since 2008.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Miami_JBT wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:56 am
Democrats were getting mail in ballots and that let them know that there was an election, Republicans weren't and they didn't vote.
Would not the "sample ballot" that all voters receive and sent out by the county election commission serve as that reminder?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:10 am
Miami_JBT wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:56 am
Would not the "sample ballot" that all voters receive and sent out by the county election commission serve as that reminder?
Not really since the sample ballots are not mailed in the same manner as an official ballot. Sample ballots are not mailed in larger marked envelopes and not marked as such in big bold lettering. They're mostly mailed in a folded in pamphlet and are smaller than official mail in ballots. Official mail in ballots also have it printed in larger bold print with something like "OFFICIAL BALLOT, Do Not Forward".

Basically, the sample ballot is in the same class as junk mail and some folks throw it away. While mail in ballots being mailed differently, marked different, and packages differently, stand out.

Remember, a lot of people are politically apathetic.

This is a big issue the RPOF has been discussing for over a year now. It was really interesting to listen to these meetings because this is something the RPOF will not broadcast out loud.

Also, it was funny when the RPOF asked me how they can win over more gun owners. I told them "stop being anti-gun". Apparently, that is a hard concept for some in the Party to understand.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Nothing new.... they do it at actual polling places on election day too. Do you not remember what happened in Philly?

They were armed with bats/batons.