Gmountain's BROTHER now also passed...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I wonder where one of them might have picked it up?

It takes about two weeks+ for symptoms to appear.

It makes you sick as sh1t for a week or two, but fatalities are rare.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Apparently there is a possible outbreak in Martin. Another couple on the same street was diagnosed. 12 in all since mid January, on news this am.

Common way to get is eat or drink something contaminated with fecal matter.

Local resturant maybe. Produce from a grocery store. Investigation should tell.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

No foul play determined after Stuart attorney and wife's deaths in Martin County

MARTIN COUNTY — A Stuart attorney and his wife who were found dead last week in their Palm City home died from "complications of hepatitis A," according to a spokeswoman for the Treasure Coast Medical Examiner's Office.

The manner of death was natural, said Christine Canard, the administrative manager for the Examiner's Office.

Jeffrey Kirsch and his wife, Nancy Kirsch, both 62, were found dead in their home in Palm City on March 28.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, hepatitis A is a communicable disease of the liver caused by the hepatitis A virus. It is spread by food or water contaminated by fecal matter. Symptoms include stomach pain, a decreased appetite, nausea and fatigue. It is prevented by being vaccinated against it.

Theresa Hewitt, Jeffrey Kirsch's paralegal for three years, and Randall Fischer, an attorney who worked with him, both said Jeffrey Kirsch was sick with what appeared to be the flu about a week before he died and was "extremely ill."

"They (Jeffrey and Nancy Kirsch) were both so sick, and I honestly think he was so sick he wasn't thinking clearly," Fischer said. "The whole thing is absolutely bizarre."

Martin County sheriff's spokeswoman Christine Christofek wrote in an email Thursday afternoon that the agency concluded its investigation and found no foul play and no criminal cause to the couple's deaths.

Deputies said they went to the couple's home in the 3700 block of Southwest Sunset Trace Circle in Palm City about 4:50 p.m. March 27 after a relative said they had been sick and were not responding to phone calls.

Jeffrey Kirsch met deputies at the door and told them he and Nancy were both sick, but that they did not need medical help.

Deputies said they returned to the home the next day after they received another call to check in on the couple, and found them both dead.

According to the Florida Department of Health in Martin County, hepatitis A can spread when someone touches objects, food or drinks that are contaminated by fecal matter from a person with hepatitis A.

Renay Rouse, spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Health in Martin County, said as of Thursday afternoon, the agency is not investigating any restaurants or businesses in the county for being effected by hepatitis A.

Rouse said there has not been any contaminated food or water in the county.

No further information was available Thursday.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

He was a vegetarian. Bad spinach from the local farmer's market? What a way to go. :(
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Martin County officials looking at how to deal with risk of hepatitis A (WPEC)

STUART, Fla. (CBS12) — Startling medical news on the Treasure Coast.

County health officials say Martin County is now considered a high-risk area for hepatitis A.

County officials are not taking this lightly.

This news is especially alarming news for parents and the elderly.

Health officials have been watching the hepatitis A cases climb in recent days.

According to the Florida Department of Health Martin County, there have been 12 confirmed cases of Hepatitis A in Martin County since January.

And it only takes five cases for an area to be designated as a high-risk area for hepatitis A.

Hepatitis A is a liver disease that can be fatal.

It's spread though food contaminated by the stool of an infected person.

Children are typically vaccinated as toddlers.

On Thursday night, CBS12 News talked to a spokeswoman for Martin County government.

She said county staff members plan to meet Friday morning to plan their strategy and then hold a news conference.

CBS12 News also called the Martin County School District to ask how this will impact the school system or what steps the school district is taking.

However, CBS12 News has not heard back.
photohause

Post by photohause »

God rest their souls
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
tector

Post by tector »

Just terrible all around.

R.I.P.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
RyanHK21EOwner

Post by RyanHK21EOwner »

Holy Chit ~ Just reading the update from the medical examiner’s report...

Hep A was the culprit... Very Sad 😞

Fate has terrible power... We all face it...
The Storm is coming on the Horizon...
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Neighbors got it, too. Wonder if they're using poop-water (reclaimed water) for irrigation in that apartment complex?

13 cases of hepatitis A in Martin County since January

Posted: 11:45 PM, Apr 04, 2019 Updated: 6:41 PM, Apr 05, 2019

By: Meghan McRoberts

PALM CITY, Fla. — Martin County officials said in a Friday news conference there have been 13 confirmed cases of hepatitis A since January. It takes five cases for a county to be considered a high risk area for hepatitis A.

"Things are under control. This is not an unusual thing to occur even in our nation. The state has identified about half the counties as having an outbreak,” said Fire Rescue Fire Chief Bill Schobel.

Schobel said good hygiene, like washing your hands, is key to preventing the spread of this disease.

Martin County Sheriff William Snyder said Friday that his agency's investigators are volunteering their services to help the state with the outbreak.

On Thursday, the District 19 Medical Examiner’s office confirmed that a Palm City husband and wife, whose deaths were considered suspicious, were the result of complications related to hepatitis A.

Local attorney Jeffrey Kirsch and his wife, Nancy, were discovered deceased inside their Sunset Trace home.

Shortly after WPTV first reported the cause of death, another man approached WPTV’s Meghan McRoberts, saying he and his wife were also recently diagnosed with hepatitis A. They live on the same street and in the same block as the Kirsch family.

“I’d like an investigation done to figure out where this came from,” the man said, who did not want to be identified. He provided medical records proving his diagnosis and his wife's diagnosis.

He started having symptoms two weeks ago.

“I’m still having sweats and still exhausted,” the man said. He’s slowly getting better. “I got up to a 103.8 fever and I was completely dehydrated to where I had to go to the hospital.”

When he went to the hospital, he learned what was giving him “flu-like” symptoms. “Came back that I tested positive for hepatitis [A],” he said.

His wife began having symptoms soon after.

“I was completely shocked. The first thing that came to me is I have three children…It went to worrying about them before worrying about myself and they all have the vaccine,” the man said.

They have been trying to determine where they might have contracted the virus, known to spread through exposure to fecal matter from someone who has the virus, such as if someone with hepatitis A handles food without washing their hands, or it can be spread through physical contact.

“When you’re in bed for two weeks, you rack your brain day in and day out trying to figure out where this could have come from,” the man said.

Hearing the cause of death of his neighbors has him deeply concerned and wanting answers.

“It's scary to know we have two people that are dead and now we’re infected as well. There could be other people that have it and they don’t know yet.”

At least half a dozen deputies with the Martin County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Kirsch’s home when they were sick through a series of welfare checks.

That includes animal control officers who responded to the home to remove several pets after the couple was discovered deceased. Medical staff for the sheriff’s office is monitoring the health of those deputies and taking appropriate precautionary health measures.

The Florida Department of Health confirmed Martin County is currently considered a "high risk" area for the virus, and is urging people to be vaccinated.

Doctors say if you are not vaccinated, you are at risk. Practicing good hygiene and washing hands often is important.

Symptoms of hepatitis A include fever, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal discomfort and jaundice.

"Most people if you are healthy, you're not going to get sick and die from this. Most people will get the symptoms but then get better," said Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center Dr. Jamie Snarski.

The incubation period of hepatitis A is 28 days and symptoms can last two months.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Local news had a spot on a restaurant that had to close awhile and send notice to workers and patrons that they may have been exposed to hepA. I didn't catch the name or town.

:!: