When does FL require sales tax be collected on internet sales?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

rentprop1 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:09 pm
Odessaman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:16 pm how and when does an out of state seller get to charge local sales tax?
you have always been required claim internet purchases on your taxes, since most were out of state, no one ever did it, so the Gov stepped in and back about June of 2019 made it known to online sellers, ecommerce folks, Amazon, etc that the hammer was coming....I think Amazon started before 2020 collecting sales tax, when you try and figure out the tax base ( for your county ) it never works out, I believe the percentage is from the county of the dist center location, or if out of state, again location.

FWIW GunBroker started collecting sales tax on Jan 1, 2021 they supposedly are collecting it and remitting it on your behalf. We havent seen our Jan statement yet but I can tell you its gonna be a chit show.

some folks believe its your county tax base, some say its where the item came from, either way I don't think the Gov even knows , last I heard the credit card companies were scrambling to design a database of the tax base in every city, county, state, but that can change all the time at the local level, total chit show.

bottom line the hammer is coming and no one wants to let anyone slide and then be responsible for tax they should have charged you, now are out of state people still skimming and not reporting it to FL, sure, will they get caught probably not, at least not now, but I couldn't imagine the total with fines and interest, should the state make me back-pay for 18 months worth of tax I should have collected and didn't. :mrgreen:
If it has come to Gunbroker, then some of the sellers there haven't yet got the memo. I think all of my recent purchases from out of state sellers (i.e. within the last 45 days) have had no tax collected. Now, maybe GB is charging the sellers and they're eating it, but I doubt that seriously.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Just to throw in my 2 cents, but I seems that sometimes Bezo's collects the sales tax and other times, not. Looks like things stocked at the local Amazon warehouse collects them, but not all prime items get sales tax collected. Some third party do, others not. Hard to tell what the rhyme or reason is. It is like a big guessing game :roll:
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Flame Red wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:02 pm Just to throw in my 2 cents, but I seems that sometimes Bezo's collects the sales tax and other times, not. Looks like things stocked at the local Amazon warehouse collects them, but not all prime items get sales tax collected. Some third party do, others not. Hard to tell what the rhyme or reason is. It is like a big guessing game :roll:
Anything sold by "Amazon LLC" (no matter from which warehouse it ships) will incur FL Sales tax because Amazon has tax nexus in FL due to the warehouses built there. These states were very smart to cut a deal with Amazon whereby they got "incentives" to build warehouses in the various states so they could get tax nexus there.

Anything sold by 3rd party merchants but "fulfilled by Amazon" may not incur tax if the seller does not have tax nexus in FL. Well... at least until June 2019. Now, they may be required to collect tax but may not be complying.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

E-mail from Gunbroker (12/30/20):

As previously communicated, GunBroker.com will be collecting and remitting sales tax in several states beginning January 1, 2021.

Subsequent to the Supreme Court Wayfair decision, several states have enacted sales tax laws designed to target companies like Amazon. Laws in some states apply to GunBroker.com as well. GunBroker.com will be required to collect and remit sales tax on items sold or shipped into one of these states. State tax (if applicable) is calculated based on the ship-to address of the order.

We have released important additional information about this process. Please read the update here: Marketplace Facilitator Sales Tax .

Please check the above page regularly for our most recent updates on this matter.

Thank you,

The Team at GunBroker.com

The GunBroker.com MPF States

Starting on January 1, 2021, GunBroker.com will collect and remit sales tax on behalf of all sellers for sales in which the item is sold into the following states:

Georgia – GA
Iowa – IA
Indiana – IN
Kentucky – KY
Maine – ME
Nebraska – NE
New Jersey – NJ
Nevada – NV

As GunBroker.com works to implement tax collection and remittance for all relevant states, the list of states for which we carry out the process described below will increase and/or change. We will strive to notify sellers of the changes being made to the list of states above as they occur. As used in this document, the term “GunBroker.com MPF States” means all the states listed above, as updated on this webpage from time to time.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/ ... +Sales+Tax
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I received a similar e-mail from E-Bay, too...
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:25 pm E-mail from Gunbroker (12/30/20):

As previously communicated, GunBroker.com will be collecting and remitting sales tax in several states beginning January 1, 2021.

Subsequent to the Supreme Court Wayfair decision, several states have enacted sales tax laws designed to target companies like Amazon. Laws in some states apply to GunBroker.com as well. GunBroker.com will be required to collect and remit sales tax on items sold or shipped into one of these states. State tax (if applicable) is calculated based on the ship-to address of the order.

We have released important additional information about this process. Please read the update here: Marketplace Facilitator Sales Tax .

Please check the above page regularly for our most recent updates on this matter.

Thank you,

The Team at GunBroker.com

The GunBroker.com MPF States

Starting on January 1, 2021, GunBroker.com will collect and remit sales tax on behalf of all sellers for sales in which the item is sold into the following states:

Georgia – GA
Iowa – IA
Indiana – IN
Kentucky – KY
Maine – ME
Nebraska – NE
New Jersey – NJ
Nevada – NV

As GunBroker.com works to implement tax collection and remittance for all relevant states, the list of states for which we carry out the process described below will increase and/or change. We will strive to notify sellers of the changes being made to the list of states above as they occur. As used in this document, the term “GunBroker.com MPF States” means all the states listed above, as updated on this webpage from time to time.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/ ... +Sales+Tax
Ah, so FL is not included in that list. That (and the orders I've had through GB in the last days) make sense. Carry on!
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

Flame Red wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:02 pm Just to throw in my 2 cents, but I seems that sometimes Bezo's collects the sales tax and other times, not. Looks like things stocked at the local Amazon warehouse collects them, but not all prime items get sales tax collected. Some third party do, others not. Hard to tell what the rhyme or reason is. It is like a big guessing game :roll:
I have gotten hooked on downloading Kindle books since. No tax. How does one make sense of that ?
joel

Post by joel »

p7fl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:58 am I have gotten hooked on downloading Kindle books since. No tax. How does one make sense of that ?
Kindle books are not tangible property
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

As far as I know, the State of Florida hasn't made some kind of arrangement yet for collection of taxes by online companies for my sales. I wish they would, it would make my paperwork easier. Though I'm sure the State is going to give me shit for filing zero dollar returns every quarter, since you still legally have to have the sales tax permit as a retailer...even if you only sell online like me.
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

joel wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:19 am
p7fl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:58 am I have gotten hooked on downloading Kindle books since Covid. No tax. How does one make sense of that ?
Kindle books are not tangible property
I looked up a past order for tax software and there was no state tax on that either.
thx