custom reloaded ammo sellers?

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
kayakingsteve

custom reloaded ammo sellers?

Post by kayakingsteve »

Was wondering if any companies sell ammo reloaded to spec?

I need .45 ACP ammo loaded to a certain FPS range for shooting competition and it's much slower than any factory ammo made. I just don't physically have time to load enough of it for the matches... anyone ever heard of a service that would make ammo to spec? Like "make me 200 rounds of .45 acp, 200 grain hardcast SWC with 3.7 grains of bullseye"? I'm sure it'd be expensive, but curious if anyone does this?
Pizzim

Post by Pizzim »

We do “custom” runs at 1000 rounds minimum. Changing the press over for less is too time consuming.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Pizzim wrote:We do “custom” runs at 1000 rounds minimum. Changing the press over for less is too time consuming.
That doesn’t make sense to me. Aren’t you interested in loading to customer requests which are less than 1,000 rounds as long as they pay you for the time it takes you to set up your press?
You’d really rather make $0 than any amount above that from running less than a thousand rounds through your press? I can only understand the concept if you don’t really need the money.
Pizzim

Post by Pizzim »

Most of the custom loads we do are between 3-5k rounds. Your assuming if we are not running a custom load the presses are not running. Most people wanting a custom load are shooting competitively and are going through 1k rounds a month or more
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Pizzim wrote:Most of the custom loads we do are between 3-5k rounds. Your assuming if we are not running a custom load the presses are not running. Most people wanting a custom load are shooting competitively and are going through 1k rounds a month or more
Thank you for explaining why you would lose money to load 1000 only. Makes perfect economic sense to me now!
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

It's easy to understand the above explanation.
Even just reloading for my self, it's not worth the effort to do less than 1,000 to 2,000 rounds at a time on my Dillon Progressive.
Even at my current and much reduced shooting schedule, that only lasts a few months at most.
USRS

Post by USRS »

We have a reloading store down in the Venice area and run custom loads in small quantities. Most of our customers are long range shooters and we seldom load more than 100 rounds for them. Of course, it takes more time so it costs a little more too, but if you are interested, let me know and we can look at what you need done. On occasion, we do larger runs of 500 or more, but that is pretty unusal for us.