Apollo Beach?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
REDinFL

Apollo Beach?

Post by REDinFL »

Looking for info on Apollo Beach, such as how crowded, tourist destination, some reasonable restaurants though nothing extreme, house costs, flood zones, stuff to watch out for.

My wife and I are considering moving, and Apollo beach is near the top of the short list (maybe #1 on hers, probably from friends). Both retired, Pinellas is getting too crowded. We're near Indian Rocks Beach, and it's getting to be more of a "Clearwater South" than the mom and pop place it used to be. Obviously one needs to tolerate some traffic, which exists anyplace people would want to be. We're on the water now, but likely will have to give that up because we'd like to shed the $$$ flood insurance. Stilts really aren't an option as we're getting older, and the stairs will be more of an issue.

Anyway, sure, I can scout Zillow, but there's nothing like local knowledge.

Thanks
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

The flood insurance is gonna get you in more places than you think.I had to have it on my farm out in the boonies.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

TonyR wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:06 pm The flood insurance is gonna get you in more places than you think.I had to have it on my farm out in the boonies.
You're right.My wife's aunt has a place in Lakeland, and it's technically below sea level. The house is paid for, so no requirement for flood, but when someone buys it.... She's 86, her husband is 92. House needs work, but he says when they go, their kids can sell it for the land.
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

Growth wise Apollo Beach has exploded in recent years (hasn't everywhere) and it's no longer just a wide spot on Hwy 41.
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I doubt any place worth being hasn't exploded. Some more so than others, or for a longer time like Pinellas. I'm just trying to avoid extremes. Actually, one may be better off if some part of a boom has taken place. I remember a lot of the growth in Manatee, and people who came in early were shocked when the roads got worse and worse until a widening project. (SR 64)