80% receiver update

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

So they can’t get you that way they’re gonna get you another. Latest ruling is anytime I as a manufacturer or a Gunsmith takes in a gun to work on. If I have it in inventory for more than 24 hours and it has been Home built I have to put my FFL number and a serial number on it ……. Now how do you think somebody that just had 40 hours with engraving work done on a gun is gonna feel about that shit ?
chạy trốn hoặc giết tất cả và đốt hooches của họ.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Sweep wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:35 am So they can’t get you that way they’re gonna get you another. Latest ruling is anytime I as a manufacturer or a Gunsmith takes in a gun to work on. If I have it in inventory for more than 24 hours and it has been Home built I have to put my FFL number and a serial number on it ……. Now how do you think somebody that just had 40 hours with engraving work done on a gun is gonna feel about that shit ?
That's not the latest ruling. It's the original ruling... if an FFL takes one in for more than 24 hours, it has to be serialized while there and then a 4473 for the owner to get it back.

That said... I can't imagine too many reasons an 80% builder would need the services of a gunsmith on an 80% build. I don't know of a single builder that has ever done that. To do what? It's already built, right?

And if I think about it... If I was a gunsmith, I would probably not want to take one in for work. Why? Liability. If I touch it, now it's MINE. If there's a problem, I can't go to S&W or Ruger or Colt... if the problem may be related to a manufacturing issue. So, a smith would have to be pretty trusting of the builder who brought it in. I'm a builder and a big advocate of the hobby. But, if I was an FFL / Gunsmith.... I think I'd refuse to work on home-builds.... just from a legal / risk management standpoint.

I don't follow your last question, though. Are you talking about another customer who hired you for engraving? How is another customer going to feel about a different customer's P80 being engraved with a ser #?? I'm confused about what you're asking there. How are they going to feel about what shit?

In the end... almost nothing has changed. We can still get 80% frames. We can still build. It's just that now the jigs have to be purchased separately. It's a joke, really. Quite amusing!

We do not have to serialize our builds contrary to popular belief.

Meanwhile my gun building forum is growing in membership and traffic. 8-)
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

No a customer built a 80 percent then had it engraved with artwork now he has to have my ffl engraved on it cause it was in my hands for over 24 hrs what if he sent to a plater or anodizer I believe this is back door registration
chạy trốn hoặc giết tất cả và đốt hooches của họ.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Ah, I see... was this a metal AR receiver that you engraved? I'm guessing not a polymer 80% frame.

The owner should have known about the new rule. It wasn't much of a secret, eh? :-)
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Racer88 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:36 pm Ah, I see... was this a metal AR receiver that you engraved? I'm guessing not a polymer 80% frame.

The owner should have known about the new rule. It wasn't much of a secret, eh? :-)
I’ve seen custom stipple and contour jobs on Poly80 frames, maybe Ben at Boresight, I can’t remember. But that definitely isn’t a same day turnaround.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

ss1 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:30 pm
Racer88 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:36 pm Ah, I see... was this a metal AR receiver that you engraved? I'm guessing not a polymer 80% frame.

I’ve seen custom stipple and contour jobs on Poly80 frames, maybe Ben at Boresight, I can’t remember. But that definitely isn’t a same day turnaround.
Yes. If you're going to have someone else stipple an 80% frame, do it before the frame is finished. Send the raw frame. No tabs removed. No holes drilled. Once the frame is finished or modified to accept parts.... it's a gun.

Of course, check with the business doing the stippling on how they do the shipping back and forth.