Ban on guns with serial numbers removed is unconstitutional -U.S. judge

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
RafMan

Ban on guns with serial numbers removed is unconstitutional -U.S. judge

Post by RafMan »

A federal judge in West Virginia has ruled that a federal ban on possessing a gun with its serial number removed is unconstitutional... :o

https://www.reuters.com/legal/ban-guns- ... 022-10-13/
TANSTAAFL
George W

Post by George W »

Good ruling. Hopefully, it will stick and be used to help overturn any legislation on "ghost guns."
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

All that does is protect criminals who have stolen firearms. Except with the extreme right, I can't imagine anyone needing/wanting to remove a serial number "just because". Even in regards to homemade weapons, adding a serial number is useless if it's not required to be, in some way, registered. Am I suggesting that we need to register our homemade weapons? No. But I don't particularly care if it needs to be added or it doesn't.
GreyShark

Post by GreyShark »

I wonder if this ruling could be used to facilitate custom serial numbers or other customizations of markings? Being able to avoid or modify serial numbers could be a nice benefit for certain kinds of collectors or people building specialized reproductions.
George W

Post by George W »

I'm not expert, but from what I have heard and seen with family members is the charge for having an obliterated S/N is usually an add-on charge, and rarely the only or primary charge. Could it make things harder to prove a gun is stolen? Sure, but the millions of unserialized guns out there already are being stolen. The right to alter or build property without government permission overrides easy of policing.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Wakko wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:34 am All that does is protect criminals who have stolen firearms. Except with the extreme right, I can't imagine anyone needing/wanting to remove a serial number "just because". Even in regards to homemade weapons, adding a serial number is useless if it's not required to be, in some way, registered. Am I suggesting that we need to register our homemade weapons? No. But I don't particularly care if it needs to be added or it doesn't.
Can't do a full stiple job on a Hi-Power because of Serial Numbers.

The requirements for a Serial Number is asinine. Plenty of firearms were made without 'em prior to 1968.

Furthermore, you're pushing for registration.

GTFO with that.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Who is pushing for registration?
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Wakko wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:46 am Who is pushing for registration?
Everytime I hear universal background checks, it can never be enforced without a national mandatory registration which will result in a lot more firearms to go underground.