Dog Walking

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
lothar

Dog Walking

Post by lothar »

Not sure if this belongs here,but here it is.My wife and I were out walking our Catahola this morning.We usually see other people with dogs,This morning we met up with a person on the trail no leash on dog nor did he have one.His dog circled behind us and attacked.Our dog went into protection mode,as this dog was approaching her Mom.darn near pulled her off her feet.I always carry started to draw but my Catahola did her job.My question would be at what point could I shoot,certainly felt threatened by other dog and owner was showing no concern as to what was going on.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

This kind of crap really bugs me. We try to do all the right things and there’s others that just don’t care so what do you do! We had a Catahoula so I know what their temperament is like. But if I had to draw and I’m no attorney I would do as the statutes say I can, and in my own words, that is to protect/defend the well-being of my wife or another or myself. Period. Sorry for your trouble.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Dog attacking you/mom, likely legal to shoot, you/mom bitten=legal shoot. Dog attacking your dog, not so much from what I've gathered as it's a property thing, I'd likely still shoot it and sort out the mess. Not an attorney, maybe one on the board will chime in for clarity.
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

It's tricky. And better have the camera rolling.

767.03 Good defense for killing dog.—In any action for damages or of a criminal prosecution against any person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that said dog had been or was killing any animal included in the definitions of “domestic animal” and “livestock” as provided by s. 585.01 shall constitute a good defense to either of such actions.

The law in Florida could definitely be improved. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... /0767.html
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

This is one area where I would not venture to give an opinion. Personally, I know under which circumstances I would shoot a dog.

What the law, as written, clearly wants to avoid is people shooting dogs left and right. In some instances properly, in other instances not.

It's "funny" that if we define "Mom" as a domestic animal or livestock then it's OK to kill, if "Mom" is being killed (or has been killed). Whatever that means...
Let's Go Brandon
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

red nose pit bull at 12 'O' Clock logical leather collar and leash.

In all seriousness off leash is bullshit. I had a neighbors dog run up on us a few times and snap at mine. I dropped the leash and left it up to mine to fight or flee. I rather not shoot a dog due to their owners stupidity.
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

A dog attacks me or my family including my dogs and I’m putting it down.
It’s funny we just got a Catahoula puppy.

TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Should have turned your dog loose!

Catahoula's don't play!