Bank tellers overstepping, asking about cash withdrawls?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

It might also be a "terrorist" test, not necessarily 2A tracking. A lot of this bank snooping came as a result of 9/11. It's why, after that, a corporation cannot get a bank account in the "corporate identity." It has to be registered to an individual human (officer of the "C" corp). The objective is to ensure that the $$$ aren't going towards terrorist activities.
Casual

Post by Casual »

It's part of the IRS 8300 reporting form they fill out when there is suspicious activity or generally transactions over 10k$
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Exactly. It's in a bulletin to banks, "Know your customer." Too bad some are extending that to the Biblical sense.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I don't find that Inappropriate at all.

Some guy over on arf was once asked "What are you going to buy with it?"

Now THAT might make me a mite prickly! :evil:
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

15 years ago, I had a high volume online business and had to take $3-$5k in cash out per day for my business for holiday season resale purchase purposes (hard to find toys, back then) because they would not up my business debit card limits to more than $3k a day (lol).

Not once did I get asked what the cash was for.

Now, of course, people look at you funny when you use cash.
tector

Post by tector »

Flame Red wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:59 am Either small talk, or he wanted to make sure you were not sending the $ to a Nigerian that told you that you won the lottery and needed $ to pay the taxes!
Actually, and no disrespect meant Jeepsnguns, once you reach...a certain age...this becomes a concern for the banks. Part of it may actual concern for the customer (it's possible!) and a very large part is concern about legal entanglements (i.e. getting sued) if they let senile uncle Joe dump off his life's savings on scamsters. Joey's heirs might not like to see his money dissapated.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

tector wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:58 pm Actually, and no disrespect meant Jeepsnguns, once you reach...a certain age...this becomes a concern for the banks. Part of it may actual concern for the customer (it's possible!)
No disrespect taken sir.
A few months ago I was depositing a $1000. check from a consignment that sold at a LGS.
From selling the Ruger No.1 .357 I had for sale here.
The same Credit Union from my original post.
The teller asked me if I knew where the check came from, in her defense it did not have the LGS name on the check, generic looking.
I looked at her as if she just landed here from another planet, and asked her why she was asking me if I knew where the check was from.
She said she wanted to make sure I wasn't being scammed.
Last edited by Jeepsnguns on Sun May 01, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ss1

Post by ss1 »

philasteen wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:13 am He may very well have been trying to make sure you weren't being scammed by one of those "your nephew is arrested" things.
tector wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:58 pm
Flame Red wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:59 am Either small talk, or he wanted to make sure you were not sending the $ to a Nigerian that told you that you won the lottery and needed $ to pay the taxes!
Actually, and no disrespect meant Jeepsnguns, once you reach...a certain age...this becomes a concern for the banks. Part of it may actual concern for the customer (it's possible!) and a very large part is concern about legal entanglements (i.e. getting sued) if they let senile uncle Joe dump off his life's savings on scamsters. Joey's heirs might not like to see his money dissapated.
Sadly, there are scammers that target the "elderly" with common scams that occur on a regular basis. The only other reason that tellers probe a cash transaction of $2-3K is if they see a number of large cash transactions in the last couple of weeks with that account that may total close to the $10K that would trigger a SAR.
Shadowbob

Post by Shadowbob »

My fiancé works at Suntrust now Truist and anything over $10k I think they have to report.
A lot of the other amounts, they ask about because their fraud has gone through the roof with the merger. I know it sounds like BS however there is pretty sound reasoning behind it.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

ss1 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:10 am

Sadly, there are scammers that target the "elderly" with common scams that occur on a regular basis. The only other reason that tellers probe a cash transaction of $2-3K is if they see a number of large cash transactions in the last couple of weeks with that account that may total close to the $10K that would trigger a SAR.
Yup. The former NASA scientist (and now YouTube Mogul) Mark Rober did a video about scammers bilking the elderly. They were able to intercept some of the packages of cash, return them to the victims, and replace the pkgs with one of his "glitter bombs." Fantastic.

If you haven't yet seen Mark Rober's "Glitter Bomb" Series, here they are:

#2 (with guest star, Macaulay Culkin)

#3 -

#4 -

:mrgreen: