Polk County Sheriff Judd rocks !

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:36 am
Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:18 am He can refuse, instead, he does it with zealous action and created a special unit just for it.
This is true I guess...

I agree its shitty, but it is his job to make sure laws are enforced, whether he/you/anyone likes those laws or not.

Creating a special unit for it sounds like a savvy way to get more funding.
As a LEO, I had discretion in what I'd enforce for the most part. As Sheriff, he has considerable power to tell them to fly a kite. He'll gladly enforce laws or court orders even if they go against the very foundation of the Constitution since Red Flag Laws do exactly that.

If tomorrow, a law was passed saying he has to go door to door and take your guns away and the court ordered it. Is that a just and constitutional order?
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Taco

Post by Taco »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:36 am I agree its shitty, but it is his job to make sure laws are enforced, whether he/you/anyone likes those laws or not.
But what about his other actions used to gain media notoriety? Arresting people selling fire sticks, prostitution arrests, drug dealer round ups, tobacco store busts, biker gang pick ups, picking up people hanging out in a park at night... All accompinied with glossy 8x10s of people accused and a harrowing story like they picked up Jeffrey Dahmer. What the tax payers get for these shows are a higher tax bill, lots of wasted time, and a court littered with cases that make the community no safer and will ultimately be dropped or settled as a non-criminal offense.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:36 am If tomorrow, a law was passed saying he has to go door to door and take your guns away and the court ordered it. Is that a just and constitutional order?
If a court ordered it?, as a result of legislature passing that requires it? Yeah...I guess so.

But thats why we have lawyers.

By your logic all the "sanctuary cities" that refuse to enforce immigration laws are OK too. Selective enforcement of laws goes both ways, and I don't think thats OK....regardless as to where you land on specific issues.

I don't agree with red flag laws, but thats no reason for someone to purposefully not do their job.

Being butthurt over a guy doing his job seems kinda silly.

The guy working for the electric company doesn't choose who gets their power shut off and who doesn't. If he did, he wouldn't have a job.

The cook doesn't choose which items on the menu he will, or won't cook. If he did, he wouldn't have a job.

The Sherriff shouldn't choose which laws apply to people and which ones don't. It sounds like the issue here is the failures of Florida legislators.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:18 am
flcracker wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:54 am
Miami_JBT wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:04 pm He's not pro-gun. Polk County is the biggest in Red Flag Law confiscations.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that a Red Flag confiscation is an order issued by a judge which the sheriff is legally obligated to carry out.
He can refuse, instead, he does it with zealous action and created a special unit just for it.
Have any of Florida's 67 Sheriffs refused to carry out RFOs? If not, then why single out Judd for it?

The creation of a special unit might imply that the deputies involved have received specialized training related to the issues associated with RFOs.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:36 am
NorincoKid wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:36 am
Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:18 am He can refuse, instead, he does it with zealous action and created a special unit just for it.
This is true I guess...

I agree its shitty, but it is his job to make sure laws are enforced, whether he/you/anyone likes those laws or not.

Creating a special unit for it sounds like a savvy way to get more funding.
If tomorrow, a law was passed saying he has to go door to door and take your guns away and the court ordered it. Is that a just and constitutional order?
Most cops will follow the order to and less!!! Anyone that believes that cops are on the citizens side is a damm fool!
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:56 am
Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:36 am If tomorrow, a law was passed saying he has to go door to door and take your guns away and the court ordered it. Is that a just and constitutional order?
If a court ordered it?, as a result of legislature passing that requires it? Yeah...I guess so.

But thats why we have lawyers.

By your logic all the "sanctuary cities" that refuse to enforce immigration laws are OK too. Selective enforcement of laws goes both ways, and I don't think thats OK....regardless as to where you land on specific issues.

I don't agree with red flag laws, but thats no reason for someone to purposefully not do their job.

Being butthurt over a guy doing his job seems kinda silly.

The guy working for the electric company doesn't choose who gets their power shut off and who doesn't. If he did, he wouldn't have a job.

The cook doesn't choose which items on the menu he will, or won't cook. If he did, he wouldn't have a job.

The Sherriff shouldn't choose which laws apply to people and which ones don't. It sounds like the issue here is the failures of Florida legislators.
The "sanctuary cities" actually are using their constitutional powers. Ever heard of separation of powers? Those cities under the Constitution don't have to provide any material, financial, or logistical support to enforce Federal immigration law. When the Federal Government places an immigration detainer on a suspect. They're informing the local government that they'd like them to hold in their jail a person wanted for violating Federal immigration law. Nothing more and nothing less. The city is spending their tax dollars and using their resources to comply with that.

They don't have to.

Under Printz v United States, Sheriffs Jay Printz of Ravalli County, Montana sued the Federal Government and won. What was the issue? Gun Control.

On November 30, 1993, President Bill Clinton signed into law the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, Pub. L. 103–159, amending the 1968 Gun Control Act. This "Brady Bill" required the United States Attorney General to establish an electronic or phone-based background check to prevent firearms sales to persons already prohibited from owning firearms. This check, entitled the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), went into effect as required on November 30, 1998.

The Act also immediately put in place certain interim provisions until that system became operative. Under the interim provisions, a firearms dealer who proposes to transfer a handgun must receive from the transferee a statement (the Brady Form), containing the name, address and date[clarification needed] of the proposed transfer along with a sworn statement that the transferee is not among any of the classes of prohibited purchasers, verify the identity of the transferee by examining an identification document, and provide the "chief law enforcement officer" (CLEO) of the transferee's residence with notice of the contents (and a copy) of the Brady Form.

When a CLEO receives the required notice of a proposed transfer, they must "make a reasonable effort to ascertain within 5 business days whether receipt or possession would be in violation of the law, including research in whatever State and local recordkeeping systems are available and in a national system designated by the Attorney General."

SCOTUS ruled that the Federal Government cannot force states to enforce Federal law.

Founding era Acts of Congress imposing obligations on state judges are not evidence of federal power over state officials because, according to the Court, the Madisonian Compromise had agreed to leave the creation of lower federal courts optional. The Court rejected the Government's argument that Federalist No. 36, Federalist No. 45, and Federalist No. 27 anticipated that Congress would "make use" of state officials. Rather, the Court viewed “almost two centuries of apparent congressional avoidance of the practice” as strong evidence that Congressmen did not think they had the power to command state officials.

Immigration sanctuary cities are operating under the same legal authority that Second Amendment Sanctuary States and Counties are operating under.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:43 pmImmigration sanctuary cities are operating under the same legal authority that Second Amendment Sanctuary States and Counties are operating under.
So let me get this straight....

Sanctuary City = OK

2A Sanctuary City = OK

Grady Judd enforcing the laws of the state of Florida = Not OK?

Maybe if Florida had competent lawmakers we wouldn't be having this discussion. You can shit on Judd all you want, the problem is higher up the ladder.

If its not him enforcing these, it will be someone else.

A guy above me asked as well, is Judd the only FL Sherriff who's enforcing this law?
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:59 pm
Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:43 pmImmigration sanctuary cities are operating under the same legal authority that Second Amendment Sanctuary States and Counties are operating under.
So let me get this straight....

Sanctuary City = OK

2A Sanctuary City = OK

Grady Judd enforcing the laws of the state of Florida = Not OK?

Maybe if Florida had competent lawmakers we wouldn't be having this discussion. You can shit on Judd all you want, the problem is higher up the ladder.

If its not him enforcing these, it will be someone else.

A guy above me asked as well, is Judd the only FL Sherriff who's enforcing this law?
All the Sheriffs are.... but you notice most don't blovate before the cameras making false claims of being Pro 2A and then having the highest gun confiscations on record.

Or being against open carry or openly calling for gun control.

Judd is a "I support the 2A, but..." kind of guy. It is window dressing to attract voters and nothing more.
The talkative sheriff said, that in an active-shooter situation, law enforcement officers rarely arrive before the shooting is done. He said to openly carry a firearm would make that person a prime target of the shooter, not a solution to the problem.
https://www.theledger.com/article/LK/20 ... ate=ampart
created.As Sheriff of Polk County, and as a father and grandfather, I am calling on Congress to outlaw devices designed and manufactured, imported, or possessed, for making any firearm simulate or function as or in the manner of an automatic firearm.
https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-county-s ... ntrol/amp/

Judd flat out is against 2A Sanctuary and said so himself.
Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd told The Ledger last month, "State and federal laws always supersedes a county ordinance. What I would do as a law enforcement officer is enforce the laws of the state of Florida and the United States of America."
https://www.newschief.com/business/2020 ... ate=ampart

He's basically saying if Biden tells him to round up gun owners, he'd do it.

And our entire system of government is based on a simple principle.
...whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...
We the people are the final arbiters of freedom. Not the government.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

Is Judd perfect? Maybe not but how many Sheriffs talk like this?

Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Judd uses gun rights as a carrot for voters. He's a "I support the Second Amendment, but . . ." kind of guy.