Gunbroker First Time

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman

Gunbroker First Time

Post by lakelandman »

Hey Guys,
This is the first time using Gunbroker I have just a few questions about how the transaction should go I pick up a rifle the seller is asking me to email my FFL which seems odd because I picked one from the list that Gunbroker has. Also, he made it sound like he wants to do the transaction via email and not go threw Gunbroker I filled out everything on Gunbroker and it says pending I'm thinking maybe he needs to add the shipping but he said it was 45.00 for shipping on the sale. Also, I plan on paying with a credit card does the info I put in go through Gunbroker? I just don't want to send him an email with my credit card info is all just want some input.
Thanks, Lakelandman
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Yeah, the seller is going to need a copy of the ffl from the file directly if they don't have it on file. The Gunbroker list is more for advertisement than actual facilitation. Most places have it down to a science and besides spelling the email address carefully (or fax number if the store still has the coming soon 1911 posters) it should be rather hands off.

The seller may or may not be integrated with gunbroker payments. When I sold something I tried to set it up, but eventually gave up. You need your own merchant processor that hooks into gunbroker system and I couldn't get one working quickly. It would let the buyer type in all the info and 'save', but it wouldn't charge the card. I offered the buyer PayPal + cost and they went money order instead. It's possible that the seller has the same sort of setup, but they'd be able to run a 'card not present' transaction with the card number over the phone.

Most of my purchases on there have gone just like this.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Thanks Taco.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Yep have your dealer send a copy of their license, confirm how you can pay, we only accept usps MOs due to fraud. We often take it off the GB mail server , just too much to go wrong and you cant send attacents or pics thru their mail server.
When in doubt pick up the phone and ask if possible, Id rather speak to the person and berate them over the phone for not going back and rereading the auction description and how to pay when they call to double and triple check versus typing emails at all hours of the day-night.

Dont hound the guy , with did it ship yet, did it ship yet , ask for tracking, but after that it's up to you to coordinate with your dealer when they got it and when it's available for pickup
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Give him your cc over the phone vs Gunbroker checkout. After my last transaction using their checkout system, someone charged three plane tickets totaling over $1,200 to my credit card.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Jimmy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:21 am Give him your cc over the phone vs Gunbroker checkout. After my last transaction using their checkout system, someone charged three plane tickets totaling over $1,200 to my credit card.
If I used a system like that. Id use a credit card that I added money to as needed. Then use it specifically for each transaction. That's what I do with paypal. I have what I consider a paypal bank acct. When I buy something and pay for it using pp. I just log on to bank and transfer funds to that acct and send money. I do not get charged a fee for the acct because I have a large sum of money in a savings acct. Linked to the bank accts.

Plus I get texted immediately if any charge on my cc or withdrawal from accts exceed 25.00.
I never use debit cards. Pay all my bills with cc I'll be in the checkout line at publix and right after paying using my cc get a text telling me a charge exceeding authorized amount was just charged. If I did not make charge click here to stop charge.

I've got it set up to notify me if charges of just one dollar are made also. You can also set up to not allow any out of country charges be made. Depending on the card you'd not believe what type of security settings you can setup.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Yeah he wants me to use a Cash App to send Bitcoin which to me gives me no protection so will see I told him no on that.