Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Park

zalfmon

Post by zalfmon »

I can’t edit original post but email stated “open” meeting...

Sounds to me everyone is invited but you can always call the number listed to confirm.
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
- C. S. Lewis
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Skoll wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:35 am Interdashing. Is it open to the public or do you have to be a member of anything to attend? Anyone here plan to attend if its open?
I just checked my schedule and am off. So i will go if outsiders are allowed and see what they have to say.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

FWC had a public meeting last night, and I went. Quite a few people showed up!

Bottom line: PART of the range MIGHT be open by the "end of spring." The part that might be open is the 10, 25, and 100 yards pistol and rifle ranges. So, max range will be 100 yards when it finally opens.

The 200 and 300 yard ranges will be delayed... with no time frame mentioned. On the upside, the 200 and 300 yard ranges will have electronic target scoring!

The shotgun ranges will be even more delayed.

Right now, they're RE-bidding the landscaping, so the first ranges to open are pending for that reason. Also, they're still finishing up the first building with offices and bathrooms.

The question that was not asked (or answered), and I smacked myself in the forehead on the way out to my car for forgetting... the days and hours of operation. Totally forgot to ask that... and neither did anyone else. DUH!

Another concern I have is whether the PBSO range will close to the public as soon as the first couple of ranges are opened at the new park. If so, that would mean the max range we'll have is 100 yards... with the 200 / 300 ranges opening yet unknown. So, I hope PBSO stays open, so we'll still have 200 and 300 yard ranges available on occasion.

New customers will have to attend one-time safety briefing (watch a 10-minute video).

To shoot at the 200 and 300 yard ranges (when they're open), you'll have to "qualify" first at the 100-yard range.

That's all I've got for now!
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
TACC

Post by TACC »

Great info, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Thanks for going! I had completely forgotten about this. Suppose we could email FWC and ask about hours and days.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

Excellent thanks for the update, I totally forgot about the meeting. Cant wait for this to open with it being less then 10 minutes from my door!
Skltr

Post by Skltr »

Thanks for attending and the update!!
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Thank you for that info.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Friends were out last weekend mudding around say the range is over grown with nothing going on.

Just more pissing down our backs and telling us its raining.
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

Latest update from FWC
Update copied and pasted from an email: (sorry for the formatting)

May 31, 2019 Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Park to host job fair A job fair featuring opportunities that will be available at the Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Park when it opens later this year is scheduled for Tuesday, July 16 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Those interested in full-time and part-time positions or volunteering at the facility are encouraged to attend. Job opportunities include range safety officers, customer service staff, safety personnel, and management positions. Please register in advance to attend this job fair. Contractors have completed the range’s two buildings – the administrative building and the restroom. Landscaping is expected to be complete in June. The FWC is working through challenges in obtaining contractor services to complete the potable water plant. When construction of the potable water plant is complete, the FWC plans to open the 100-yard rifle and handgun ranges on the weekends. This will provide some opportunity while allowing contractors to continue working during the week on the 200- and 300-yard shooting lines and the trap and skeet fields. The 200- and 300-yard shooting lines and trap and skeet fields are expected to be complete by the end of the year. Once these are complete, the park can open for normal business hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday. When finished, this state-of-the-art facility will safely support the needs of hunters, hunter safety students, and target shooters. The park, one of the largest shooting sports facilities in Florida, will meet growing demand for target shooting opportunities with five rifle and handgun ranges; five Olympic trap fields; six American trap fields; nine skeet fields; and a 15-station sporting clays course. This project is supported by funding from the Wildlife Restoration program, which brings funding to Florida from the sporting arms and archery industries and the people of Florida who participate in those activities. Additional support and funding for the Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Park are provided by Palm Beach County, National Rifle Association, Fish & Wildlife Foundation of Florida, and South Florida Water Management District. The facility is located at Seminole Pratt Whitney Road – toward the main entrance to J.W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area and Everglades Youth Conservation Center Camp.