Trouble with RCBS Hand Primer

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
Bobberfishin

Trouble with RCBS Hand Primer

Post by Bobberfishin »

Just got this & had to change over to the small primer holder. Quick easy process to change from large to small.
Problem is that the pin that seats the primer doesn't move down low enough for a primer to slide into the channel. You can see that the pin is blocking the opening in the plastic feeding channel that the primer would slide thru.
I changed back to the larger primer holder & the issue is still there. The gate safety (the long curved black guide?) doesn't seem to be long enough for the slot in the gate to allow the primer to fall into the opening. It's not even partially blocked, completely blocks the opening.
Any thoughts, suggestions? Anyone else had this problem?
RCBS Model # 90200

Thanks, Bob
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Bob, if you can’t get it sorted on your own, here is the warranty contact info for RCBS...give them a call. They will make it right.
mgunner

Post by mgunner »

is the round side of pin facing down so flat side is facing primer ?
Bobberfishin

Post by Bobberfishin »

Pin only goes in one way.
The shaft changes out completely from large primer to small primers.
Spring goes over the shaft and stays in place because the bottom of the shaft is larger than the top portion.
Bottom of shaft has concave area the handle pin fits into.
Bobberfishin

Post by Bobberfishin »

Just spoke w/ John in RCBS's customer service.
He told me some of the bodies were drilled incorrectly. This resulted in the primer seating pin to obstruct the channel that the primers would feed thru.
At first he was just going to send me a new body for the hand primer & I would have to take it part to place the new piece. I told him that wouldn't work. I'll send it back to Midway for a refund. I'm not going to take it apart & put new pieces with old pieces that may or may not have been mis-drilled. He then said they'll send me a new hand primer. It'll take a week or so to get here.
A this point I'm not thrilled with RCBS (or their shipping time frame)
Bobberfishin

Post by Bobberfishin »

My new RCBS hand primer directly from RCBS arrived as the replacement for the one I purchased from Midway.
RCBS did mis-drill (or cut) the pivot point on the body of the hand primer so it would not accept primers thru the channel.
It's apparent from the moment you take it out & look thru the port. Either there's an opening or it's blocked like the first one I received.
The area that was mis-drilled didn't allow the primer seat pin to lower far enough down and leave an access port for the primers to slide into from the tray.
How quality control didn't see a number of these as defective we'll never know. It's a very obvious defect.
New one works like it should
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Glad it got sorted out, Bobber.
Whatcha loading, lately?