Why don't we have Red Flag laws for other rights, too?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Odessaman

Why don't we have Red Flag laws for other rights, too?

Post by Odessaman »

Since the due process rights of gun owners are apparently now expendable for the greater good of society, according to Red Flag law proponents, why don't we have Red Flag laws for other so-called rights that actually ARE abused to our detriment?

For example, I think we should be able to get a gag order entered against any member of the media based on a credible allegation that a "journalist" is likely about to write a story or file a report that is factually inaccurate, inflammatory, outright fabricated, or purely opinion but represented to be "news." ("I know he was about to lie, your honor - his lips were moving.")

I believe that for the duration of their term in office, any politician who has more money in accounts owned by or attributable to them than what they report on their tax return as actual income should forfeit the excess to the jurisdiction they represent until they can prove it came from a legitimate source - just by virtue of the fact that they're politicians.

I think we should be entitled to prosecutorial immunity based on prima facie evidence of political corruption that "tarring and feathering" is NOT cruel and unusual punishment.

Any others?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Fat girls in short-shorts should be red-flagged...

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:07 pm Fat girls in short-shorts should be red-flagged...

No one asked to see your girlfriend.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
gforester

Post by gforester »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:07 pm Fat girls in short-shorts should be red-flagged...

Hey, I happen to like fat girls in short-shorts.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

What it is going to take is a Red Flag law against a person with guns who did no wrong and was falsely accused. The person will have to be rich and has money to get a lawyer and fight it in the state of Florida then take it to the Supreme Court. To me, it seems once a law is made to get the government to undo cost lots of money regardless if it is wrong and violate the person's rights.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

gforester wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:32 am

LIKE BUTTON PUSHED!
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Religions need a red flag. Heaven's Gate and Rev. Jim killed how many?
ab4ka

Post by ab4ka »

P5 Guy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:15 am
gforester wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:32 am

LIKE BUTTON PUSHED!
I wouldn't throw her out of bed for eating crackers! :P :P :P
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

lakelandman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:45 am What it is going to take is a Red Flag law against a person with guns who did no wrong and was falsely accused. The person will have to be rich and has money to get a lawyer and fight it in the state of Florida then take it to the Supreme Court. To me, it seems once a law is made to get the government to undo cost lots of money regardless if it is wrong and violate the person's rights.
You get as much "justice" [sic] as you can afford to pay for.

What's really needed is sanctions against false reports. Fat chance, as that is legally possible in other contexts, but rarely is done. Think "domestic violence" when a divorce gets started.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Allme

Post by Allme »

They have had Civil Asset Forfeiture laws on the books for decades, millions of dollars stolen by our beloved boys in blue because someone couldn't prove their money was theirs and/or wasn't gained "illicitly". It is loss of due process period dot com, the masses are fine with it so long as it isn't theirs and it does the greatest good (eye roll). Nothing to see here, just the death of liberty... One tiny cut at a time. :(