Scot Peterson arrested for inaction at Parkland

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
BerettaRacer

Scot Peterson arrested for inaction at Parkland

Post by BerettaRacer »

Ex-school cop Scot Peterson fired, arrested for actions during Parkland massacre

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex-sch ... li=BBnb7Kz

PARKLAND, Fla. — Scot Peterson, the school security officer branded a coward for his inaction during the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, has been arrested for neglect of duty, Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony announced Tuesday.

Peterson, 56, had been nationally heckled and vilified for failing to confront the former student who gunned down and killed 17 students and staff at the Parkland school on Feb. 14, 2018.

“It’s never too late for accountability and justice,” Sheriff Tony said.

Peterson has been booked into the Broward Main Jail on 11 criminal charges, including child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury. He also was fired.

“My heart is just beating because we’re over a year here and this is just now happening," said Gena Hoyer, mother of 14-year-old Luke, who died in the shooting. “This is long overdue.”

“He needs to go to jail and he needs to serve a lifetime in prison for not going in that day and taking down the threat that led to the death of our loved ones,” said Lori Alhadeff, whose daughter, Alyssa, 14, also died that day. “It was his duty to go into that building and to engage the threat and he froze and he did nothing.”

Peterson’s arrest comes after a 15-month investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Broward State Attorney’s Office.

The investigation showed Peterson refused to investigate where the gunshots were coming from, retreated during the gunfire as victims were being shot, and directed other law enforcement who arrived on scene to remain 500 feet away from the building, FDLE spokeswoman Jessica Cary said in an emailed statement.

“The FDLE investigation shows former Deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers ad staff and injured 17 others,” said FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearingen. “There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives.”

Also terminated was Sgt. Brian Miller.

“[Peterson and Miller] were found to have neglected their duties at MSD High School,” Tony said in an emailed statement.

Peterson was arrested Tuesday afternoon after an administrative discipline hearing at the sheriff’s office headquarters on Broward Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale.

If convicted as charged, Peterson could face a maximum of nearly 97 years in state prison. His bond has been set at $102,000.

“We cannot fulfill our commitment to always protect the security and safety of our Broward County community without doing a thorough assessment of what went wrong that day,” Tony said. “I am committed to address deficiencies and improving the Broward Sheriff’s Office.”

Peterson is facing seven felony counts of child neglect, three misdemeanor counts of culpable negligence and one misdemeanor count of perjury, according to the Broward State Attorney’s Office.

The investigation included 184 witness interviews, review of countless hours of video surveillance and resulted in 212 investigative reports and more than 800 hours of investigation, Cary said.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

“FINALLY”!
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

In no way shape or form am I justifying his behavior, but some of those charges seem a stretch to me. I'm curious how they will play out.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

probably off himself before the trial
MadMan

Post by MadMan »

Schools used to be a good place to put retiring cops out to pasture. The problem is, schools are gun free zones and vulnerable.
I know one thing, four months from retirement, Peterson was begging the good Lord not to let it be the day...not this day. Not for four more months.
CDI

Post by CDI »

This is interesting. I'm not saying he does not deserve a punishment. But didn't the supreme Court say leo did not have a duty to protect people? This will be a interesting case. But like rent says he will probably kill himself as soon as he makes bond.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

No way. He doesn't feel the remorse that would lead to the suicide, it seems.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

hopefully the thought of prison and losing his $8400 a month
pension will push him over the edge
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

The 9th district court already said that cops dont have a duty to protect. Based on this i dont see this case going anywhere. I think this is a waste of taxpayers money. They want someone to hang for this. This is a public hanging.
Is it messed up that he didnt charge forward? Ofcourse it is. But the school, police department and fbi had knowledge of this and didnt do anything. I would put the blame on them then this deputy. Just my opinion.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

I don't think there is much doubt that he COULD have done more but I don't think he will ever be convicted.