Language. Always a tough subject

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
better2have&notneed

Post by better2have&notneed »

trouter3 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 pm "cunt"
trouter3 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:45 pm bullshit
fuck this place"
better2have&notneed

Post by better2have&notneed »

It seems to me that the phpBB forum software that so many forums are using should have the profanity thing pretty well figured out by now...like just check a box in the control screen or something simple like that.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Honestly I’m over it already. Everyone try to start posing more in the sub forums and let’s talk guns for once
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Xeeoneyx

Post by Xeeoneyx »

I don't post much, but I've been around for a few years.

It's my opinion that firearms owners are losing the battle. For that reason, we need to make sure that this website is does not serve as an example to the world of "racist", "nazi" and "white trash" gun owners.

I hate to say it, but I agree with ar15.com. Swearing is ok, since this isn't a place for children anyways, but hate speech and racism needs to be avoided.
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

As we have all seen, banning anything is a bad choice. Banning guns doesn't make anyone safer. Teach your kids to handle firearms safely. Banning swimming pools doesn't ensure your kids won't drown - teach your kids how to swim. Banning swearing doesn't "protect" anyone's kids from learning how to swear. If a kid doesn't know how to swear properly by the time he's 9 or 10 he's in for a real shock when he has to deal with other kids. When was the last time you ever saw a movie where there was no swearing or nudity? How about the "music" these kids listen to? Almost all of it is swearing, but that's OK somehow or would you ban that too?
We are all adults here & adults talk this way. Some of us swear more than others but what the fuck - get over it. You can't ban free speech because your kids might hear what Real Life is sounds like. Teach your kids how to deal with life, don't try to shelter them from it.

/rant
"Biden/Harris 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Bmup wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 am You can't ban free speech because your kids might hear what Real Life is sounds like.
While I agree with you 100%, I do wonder how free speech applies at a privately owned and operated website.
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

TC6969 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 am
Bmup wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 am You can't ban free speech because your kids might hear what Real Life is sounds like.
While I agree with you 100%, I do wonder how free speech applies at a privately owned and operated website.
Obviously, it doesn't. I just assumed this thread's purpose was to ask for comments and suggestions from forum users as to how to proceed. I have stated my opinion. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not, it's an opinion. Just like yours.
"Biden/Harris 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Whoah!

A little testy this morning aren't we?
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

As a former English major in school, I do appreciate well written prose.
And that would include good grammar and spelling as well as the omission of foul language.
Poorly written articles and replies suggests to me an associate lack of knowledge.
OSD

Post by OSD »

In reality this isn't about kids. It's about the perceived impression the overly rough language gives the forum. While the words may not bother most of us, I bet you wouldn't like it if someone constantly used rough language around your wife and I'm betting she wouldn't appreciate it either. Gun owners in general are getting bashed from all angles nowadays. We don't need to give anyone the impression that we are just a bunch of white trash/rednecks on this forum. Plus we want to grow the forum not chase prospective members away. I'm not saying to ban all curse words, but a few of them wouldn't hurt. Also the racist type of comments need to stop too. It's not whether or not the members here are too sensitive to the language, it's what other people see when they visit the forum and are thinking about joining or maybe using something they read to forward their cause against gun owners.

JMHO-YMMV
Jim