My friend's house was hit by a bullet... advice

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
kmagnuss

My friend's house was hit by a bullet... advice

Post by kmagnuss »

Hey guys. Looking for some advice. My neighbor's house has some woods behind it. On the other side of the woods, less than 1000 feet away a guy has a range set up on his property. It's directed straight at my friend's house. He shoots out there once or twice a month and it's never been a problem aside from the sound. Well this past weekend a bullet went through his wall (wood frame house), through an interior wall, and lodged into the wall in his bedroom. The trajectory of the bullet brings it right over the trampoline outside, and straight towards this guy's house. Cops say there's nothing they can do because it's not against the law. Now I fully understand that you can shoot on your own property as long as it's a bigger lot (this one is 6 acres I believe)... but once the bullet leaves the property isn't it against the law at this point? My friend doesn't really know what to do at this point aside from to hire an attorney. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
-Mag
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Did he go try and talk to the guy and let him know there's a problem?

Seems like that would be the first thing to do.
trouter3

Post by trouter3 »

Hire a lawyer there's gotta be some ordnance or technicality to protect this family b4
Someone gets hurt badly ....what is the attitude of the gent who has this range, is he sympathetic to person or is he just being a jerk... If so go over to his place one day late at night and set his car on fire, he'll get the idea, nah, only kidding, I get carried away when I hear BS like this, I get very radical, don't have the patience after Youve informed the person to cease before he kills a member of the family, eye for an eye stuff ..you ask the wrong person get an attorney best advice ....
kmagnuss

Post by kmagnuss »

The guy has a gate so he can't get near the house to talk to him.
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

Shoot back?
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

I bet it IS against the law and the cops that told your buddy it wasn't are jackasses! I be crashing through his gate if that stupid **** shot toward MY house!
trouter3

Post by trouter3 »

He's gotta have a name and a phone number or a mailbox, if he can discharge a firearm it's gotta be a rural area ....did the cops tell him that the bullet hit the house and what was his reaction? Don't set his car on fire, bad idea, set his f#*kng house on fire if he's got a bad attitude the dumb shit ....shooting toward someone's house you gotta be nuts to do that and know you are, this guy needs a padded room
Last edited by trouter3 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wcontratto

Post by wcontratto »

Having a range on your property may not be against the law, BUT, IIRC, you must confine the shots to your property.

Firing over a right of way, or into an occupied dwelling can be a problem for the shooter.

That being said, IANAL
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

kmagnuss wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:52 pm The guy has a gate so he can't get near the house to talk to him.
Seriously? A gate?

Oh My God!

He might as well just let the guy continue shooting at his house! :roll:
kmagnuss

Post by kmagnuss »

TC6969 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:51 pm
kmagnuss wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:52 pm The guy has a gate so he can't get near the house to talk to him.
Seriously? A gate?

Oh My God!

He might as well just let the guy continue shooting at his house! :roll:
Lol I know, I know. If it was me I'd sit out there all day until he came home and talk with him... but my friend isn't like that.