What kind of red-dot?

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
REDinFL

What kind of red-dot?

Post by REDinFL »

I'm thinking of putting a red dot on my Mossberg 930 JM Pro. It comes with just a front fiber and I'm not sure how that will be with slugs. I checked it with a laser boresighter, but that was in the house at maybe 30ft. (was right on at that). Do you think the enclosed type, such as a Bushnell tr-25 or some Vortex models, or a Burris Fastfire, open type sight has some advantage? I don;'t want anything as big as an Eotech.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated, no sense re-inventing the wheel.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Don't really see the point of a dot on a shotgun, honestly, but I would go with a reflex sight by either Vortex (dat lifetime warranty), or Burris. Holosun seems to be all the rage nowadays as well.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Vortex Venom with 6 MOA dot.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I use the term red dot as a generic, as they all have red dots. Main issue was whether the open ones, such as the Vortex Venom have advantages over the "closed tube" type. One of my problems is I am farsighted, needing glasses for things which are close; don't want the dot to distort, and don't want to depend on glasses. Some such as the Vortex Strikefire claim to minimize that. I don't know if they have focusing capability.

Thanks, dammitgriff, for the Vortex Venom suggestion. I just looked at them on Midway, I like the small size. I'll consider that (they also have them on sale with a gift card promotion). They better than Burris?
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

I’ve read tons of reviews on both, and they’re neck-and-neck with each other. The Vortex was $220 most places I saw it, the Burris seemed to be $20 less everywhere. It really comes down to personal choice. The Vortex just seems a bit more streamlined...?
R/Griff
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Thanks. Midway has a $40 gift card with the Vortex, makes the choice a bit easier.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Keep in mind they’re offered with either a 3 or 6 MOA dot. Two different part numbers.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Yes, I saw that. Originally, I was automatically thinking of 3 moa for accuracy, but then woke up to “a shotgun is different than a rifle” (duh). Yes, 6 moa is better pickup, and 6 inches @ 100 yards is not a problem. I’m glad you mentioned it to get the old wheels turning.

Thanks
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I know the Burris FF 2 touted it was rated for 12 gauge , and the FF3 was said to handle even more recoil, never seen Vortex make those claims, better look around and see what the recoil rating is, or call them and ask...no way that Busnell Tr-25 can handle 12ga...my son made the mistake of putting one on an 870 and later swapped it to an AR, wouldn't hold zero for shit....lesson learned
Greg

Post by Greg »

rentprop1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:41 pm I know the Burris FF 2 touted it was rated for 12 gauge , and the FF3 was said to handle even more recoil, never seen Vortex make those claims, better look around and see what the recoil rating is, or call them and ask...no way that Busnell Tr-25 can handle 12ga...my son made the mistake of putting one on an 870 and later swapped it to an AR, wouldn't hold zero for shit....lesson learned
Yep the 12 gauge is a true test of product durability. That’s why I keep my setups as light as I can. No need for a red dot when you can have rifle sights
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009