The Glock thread

Pistols of all descriptions.
Deputydave

The Glock thread

Post by Deputydave »

I carry a Glock 21.3 on-duty. I carry a Glock 26.4 off-duty. I carry a Glock 22.4 as my woods/hiking gun. I have spares for each. I like Glock, carry Glock and teach Glock. I think it's a solid, sound, functional and simple platform.

However, I'm not a Glocktard or fan-boy and have been and are still critical on several points concerning Glock.

First, I think Glocks are overpriced. I get blue label pricing on Glocks and in my opinion, blue label should be what 'Joe Citizen' should pay and BL pricing should be even lower. Why? Because a $500 gun shouldn't come with plastic sights. I feel very strongly about that. I've never actually bought a new Glock at regular or at BL pricing. All of my Glocks are pre-owned and I got them at fantastic deals that were simply 'right time/right place'. My off-duty Glock 26.4 was only 6 months old, came with new Trijicon HD night sights and 4 mags. Three of which had +2 extensions. I paid $400. That's about the price point all of my Glocks, with new night sights, have cost.

Second, and this is personal preference, I don't like the Glock finger grooves. They're okay on the 17/22/31 sized pistol and I don't notice it that much on a 26/27/33 size pistol if it has something like an Xgrip and extended mag. For some reason the 19/23/32 sized pistols just don't hit my hand right.

Third, I've been critical of the 19X. Over on GT the Glocktards defend the 19X like it's made of gold. Too me it's the first place loser in the military trials and Glock is trying to recoup that $ by increasing the price over a regular G19 with night sights and selling it as something special. Oh, it's a Glock which means it's a good gun. But it's a gimmick. Anyone have any real use for a lanyard? If it was important it would be on all Glocks. And that's when it's not breaking off. The main thing I don't like though is that it is limited to G17 mags only. With a G19 you can use G17 or G19 makes thus giving you more options. I like more options that cost less money. That's why I chose the G26 because it can use all of the mags up and down.

Fourth, I don't care for the cut out in the mag well on the gen 5's. Should have been on each side of the mag well like Sig and other brands. And the floor plates should already be similar to the TD or MOAB versions. Personal opinion.

Now, lest anyone thing this is a Glock-haters thread...it's not. Just establishing some issues I personally have with the Glock. On the plus side...it works and works well. It's simple. It's rugged. It was the logical platform to chose for me with all of my pistols and I chose the Gen 4 for all of my Glocks. Plus the Sub 2K uses G17 mags.

So what do you like about Glock? What do you dislike about Glock. Do you carry one? If so, which one and why? If not, why not?
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

I've owned a 17, a 19, and a 26.

The only one I still have is the 26, and she's an oldie. 20 years old this year IIRC.

Not sure why, probably on my end, but I felt the 26 shot better than the larger ones.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Blue label pricing has nothing to do with giving a discount to people who qualify for a blue label gun. The $80 excise tax built into the price of every gun sold to the public is removed from blue label guns. So Glock makes the same profit on retail sales, or blue label sales. It’s the Gov’t who gets the extra $80 on a retail sale. Not Glock. GARY
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 pm I've owned a 17, a 19, and a 26.

The only one I still have is the 26, and she's an oldie. 20 years old this year IIRC.

Not sure why, probably on my end, but I felt the 26 shot better than the larger ones.
Is your G26 a Gen 3 or Gen 2.5? I had one that was manufactured in 1997 (CCW prefix) that was a Gen 2.5. Should have kept that one. But then there are a lot of guns I should have kept lol.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

I believe its a 2.5

Has finger groovers, but no texture in that area.

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Yep, that's a 2.5. Same internals as a gen 3 but no texturing. That was my off-duty for quite a while. Inspected annually and never needed updating or servicing. Very good gun!
chuck17

Post by chuck17 »

Gaston Glock makes an enormous amount of money every day, and could sell the guns for a lot less... but the price of Glock pistols are driven by the market and I do not disparage Mr. Glock making all the money that he can. It is called capitalism.

The military could have saved a fortune by adopting the Glock platform. It is a simple, durable, reliable, low-maintenance weapon. It is a proven system.

I am a Glock fan. I particularly like the reliability and low-maintenance qualities. I don't worry about it getting dirty or wet. It is a work horse. Some may say they are ugly, but I see a utilitarian beauty.

I also like the ability to drop in conversion barrels without any problems. I have 40-9 and 40-357sig conversion barrels that work flawlessly.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Deputydave wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 pm Yep, that's a 2.5. Same internals as a gen 3 but no texturing. That was my off-duty for quite a while. Inspected annually and never needed updating or servicing. Very good gun!
Its really the only "modern" handgun I have anymore. I've been pretty happy with it so far.

A CZ75 compact and a CZ50/70 in 32acp are on my want list as of lately though.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Enjoy the 2.5. It's one of several guns I should have hung on to over the years. It had a lot of holster wear from 20 years of use but that just gave it character.
:D
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

I had all 4 sizes available in 9mm but sold the two in the middle.
G17 & G19 went and I kept the G34 & 26.