Poll ended at Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:54 pm

FiveSeven
70%
PMR-30
30%

Total votes: 10

Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

I have a Five-seveN. Great gun. FUN to shoot. My wife's favorite pistol to shoot, BTW.

It's not my primary HD gun... an FNP-45T is. But, I have the Five-seveN available for the wife, if she's home alone and needs it. Very lightweight. Low recoil. High capacity (20+1 with flush-mount mag, 30+1 with extended mag).

The last thing on my "worry list" if I'm forced to defend myself and family is whether the gun is "too valuable" to be taken in as evidence. I find that very odd.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Racer88 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:25 pm The last thing on my "worry list" if I'm forced to defend myself and family is whether the gun is "too valuable" to be taken in as evidence. I find that very odd.
I’m one of those “odd” people I guess. I will not carry my HK, or other valuable guns for protection. But I will carry my $300 S&W 469 which carries just as many rounds. It’s just as reliable, & no sweat if it sits in the evidence room for a year. GARY
CDI

Post by CDI »

N4KVE wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:23 pm
Racer88 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:25 pm The last thing on my "worry list" if I'm forced to defend myself and family is whether the gun is "too valuable" to be taken in as evidence. I find that very odd.
I’m one of those “odd” people I guess. I will not carry my HK, or other valuable guns for protection. But I will carry my $300 S&W 469 which carries just as many rounds. It’s just as reliable, & no sweat if it sits in the evidence room for a year. GARY
exactly. thats why my edc is a glock 43.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

N4KVE wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:23 pm
No offense intended. 8-) To each their own. My EDC is determined by other factors (than cost)... size, concealability, capacity, reliability, my ability to shoot it well, etc. But, yeah... the LAST thing on my mind when it comes to the hopefully very remote possibility that I'm forced to engage in a DGU, is whether the gun (which will likely be taken into evidence) is expensive. My mind will be on other things. :)

My primary criteria for any defensive gun, including my EDC, is that it is EFFECTIVE. Being cheap is not even on the list of criteria. That said... none of my EDCs are particularly valuable or expensive. But, that's just "happy coincidence." But, I would not sacrifice "quality" for "low cost" when it comes to a defensive firearm. If what worked well in my hands and fit all the favorable criteria for EDC, happened to be particularly expensive, I'd carry it without concern over losing it in a subsequent investigation. Hopefully, I'll just be happy to be alive with my family. :D
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I voted PMR 30 but strictly for the optics option, the FN uses a mount that uses the dovetail on the rear sight, the PMR-30 already has the plate for the optics cutout.

5.7 got a bad rap when you couldn't find the ammo, walmart has always had .22 mag...YMMV
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

I have a PMR30. It's crazy light even loaded with 30 rounds of 22mag. Fun gun to shoot, but the most reliable rounds are the least accurate and the most accurate rounds are the least reliable. Hopefully it will feed better as I put more rounds downrange.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Jimmy wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:36 pm So, apparently, possession of ap rounds are not regulated on a federal level, but instead, on a state level.

Florida is one of the few states that make possession illegal.

Here's the Florida Statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 90.31.html
(a) “Armor-piercing bullet” means any bullet which has a steel inner core or core of equivalent hardness and a truncated cone and which is designed for use in a handgun as an armor-piercing or metal-piercing bullet.

The FNH SS190 round does not have a steel inner core. The inner core is aluminum.

This section could get your tit in a wringer, but it contradicts "(a)" (not an armor-piercing round by definition):

(b) Any person who possesses an armor-piercing bullet or exploding bullet with knowledge of its armor-piercing or exploding capabilities loaded in a handgun, or who possesses a dragon’s breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, or flechette shell with knowledge of its capabilities loaded in a firearm, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Possession is not illegal in FL. It is illegal to have it "loaded in a handgun". Sorta.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
revelation

Post by revelation »

I have seen on the interwebs that the gen 2 pmr-30 has a new feed ramp/barrel and some recoil spring and is a decent carry. With a 30 round mag it seems like a great bug out or car gun. I am being serious, if I am trapped with no means of escape with an armed individual after me would there be a chance I could prosecuted I shot the perp 21 times? I know it sounds silly but how far does the stand your ground rule protect you.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

[youtube]_teY8vwwXvA[/youtube]
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.