Lots of LE agencies dumping 40 S&W.

Pistols of all descriptions.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Think Jacksonville Sheriffs department is swapping to 9 from 40.
KenH

Post by KenH »

They have had the 9mm for a few months now.
photohause

Post by photohause »

"I always thought it was the answer to a question nobody asked."

Kind of like the 45 GAP?
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
revelation

Post by revelation »

Is there any chance that the price of .40 would go down to be competitive with 9mm?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

I've always felt that the .40 was the "near-perfect" round. It's got great muzzle velocity of a 9mm (1,150 fps) and the muzzle energy of a .45 ACP (485 ft/lbs). I particularly like the 165gr weight.
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

With so many tests showing that .40, 9mm, and .45 have similar effect as pistol rounds,
Does it really matter which caliber is chosen?
Doesn't skill count for far more?
Too many people put emphasis on equipment as a substitute for training and practice.
If poor results occur, it's more likely due to something other than the choice of weapon.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

jaytwillerham wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:54 pm With so many tests showing that .40, 9mm, and .45 have similar effect as pistol rounds,
Doesn't skill count for far more?
Too many people put emphasis on equipment as a substitute for training and practice.
If poor results occur, it's more likely due to something other than the choice of weapon.
It's a lot easier to blame the hardware than to accept their lack of skills.
Back when I was shooting competitively I see guys switching weapons all the time looking for that perfect weapon that never miss and shoots lightning fast...unfortunately they forget that accuracy and speed comes with practice. I used to tell new guys all the time to forget the weapon (within reason) and spend the money on practice ammo.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
chester field

Post by chester field »

rug357 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:00 pm It's a lot easier to blame the hardware than to accept their lack of skills.
Back when I was shooting competitively I see guys switching weapons all the time looking for that perfect weapon that never miss and shoots lightning fast...unfortunately they forget that accuracy and speed comes with practice. I used to tell new guys all the time to forget the weapon (within reason) and spend the money on practice ammo.
The same goes for golf :)
Common Sense... so rare it's like a super power
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

jaytwillerham wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:54 pm With so many tests showing that .40, 9mm, and .45 have similar effect as pistol rounds,
This is exactly why the .40 is falling from favor. If 9mm can be as effective why would anyone want to put up with more recoil and higher ammo prices??
jwperry

Post by jwperry »

45caldan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:18 pm
This is exactly why the .40 is falling from favor. If 9mm can be as effective why would anyone want to put up with more recoil and higher ammo prices??
As well as reduced capacity and more wear/tear on the guns.

I like 40, I do. As someone else mentioned it hits a lot of sweet spots in regards to performance. But, when premium offerings are being dulled down to offer same/similar performance to an item that costs less in every facet, why keep it? I get for the folks who are already invested in 40, but it is really hard for me to actively seek a new 40 for purchase unless easily/cheaply swapped to 9mm.