Carry pistol for wife

Pistols of all descriptions.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

chester field wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:04 pm
Maybe I'll just keep buying her guns I like until we hit one that she likes :lol:
That could get rather expensive until she finds one she likes. At the shows, husbands come up to my table saying they want to buy a gun for their wife. When I ask where she is, the reply is “not here”. I then ask if they would ever go out to buy a pair of shoes for the little lady without her being there. Of course, their answer is no, so I ask why should a gun be different? There are many gun ranges/stores that rent guns for this exact reason. Also, for beginners, especially women, I suggest a revolver, because they are not strong enough to rack the slide back. The LCP2 is easier to rack than the LCP by the way. GARY.
chester field

Post by chester field »

Yeah, no. Been married too long to try to buy her guns or shoes on my own.
Just trying to do some of the legwork and also take advantage of others' experiences and knowledge here.

She did like a few of the guns suggested so far -just not for her to carry.

I am lucky enough to have a wife trying to figure out her next gun.
Common Sense... so rare it's like a super power
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

You mentioned she didn't like the recoil of the LCP. I can appreciate that. An option would be to simply put a Hogue Handall grip on it. It substantially reduces the felt recoil and makes it more pleasant to shoot.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
chester field

Post by chester field »

Deputydave wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:22 am You mentioned she didn't like the recoil of the LCP. I can appreciate that. An option would be to simply put a Hogue Handall grip on it. It substantially reduces the felt recoil and makes it more pleasant to shoot.
I may try that for me. It is my EDC, but it is about as fun to shoot as Sister Mary Discipline slapping my hands with the yardstick.

but... just another tool in the box as they say
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Trust me, I know. I had an LCP last year and it just isn't a fun gun to shoot. However, with that Hogue Handall grip it was substantially better. I could run a couple of boxes of 50 through it before having had enough. Inexpensive tweak.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

Did you say someone offered you a carry pistol in exchange for your wife?
Sounds fair to me.
photohause

Post by photohause »

Any chance that there is a range near you that rents handguns? Let her try several and ask HER what she feels comfortable with.
Just a thought.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger »

Carry pistol for wife?

good trade.

Nick
No anchovies?
You've got the wrong man, I spell my name Danger

To anger a conservative, lie to him - to anger a liberal, tell him the truth" Teddy R
chester field

Post by chester field »

photohause wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 am Any chance that there is a range near you that rents handguns? Let her try several and ask HER what she feels comfortable with.
Just a thought.
Yeah, like I said a few times above, I wasn't just going to surprise her with something. We had been going out to different places and looking at different pistols and had already ruled a bunch of different ones out. Unfortunately not every gun is available to rent or demo, so I was just trying to do some additional leg work on what all is out there and take advantage of members' experience here.

She ended up going with an LC380 and loves it. Recoil is minimal and she has no problem with repeated shots hitting the target, and doesn't even need the grip extension. She likes that it has a manual safety and adapted to the DAO trigger right away. Lighter and smaller than the Bersa, it was a winner for her all the way around.

After having an LC9, I was surprised at how smooth the trigger is and didn't have any problems with the reset, which seems to be the major complaint on the webs. Re-acquiring the target between shots is super easy, and the sights are easy to see and maintain a good sight picture. Despite being the same gun as the LC9, it is an entirely different gun to shoot. And she is happy and comfortable with it, which is the important thing.

Thanks for the input guys. We did check out everything mentioned.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Happy wife equals happy life. Glad it all worked out. GARY.