Glock 40 10mm MOS for hiking security

Pistols of all descriptions.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Casual wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:17 am
Lastrites wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 am Bear = Underwood or similar ammo.
Yeh id order buffalo bore, underwood or lehigh defense.

Theres arguable conflicting articles on whether the barrel length difference from the 20 to 40 really makes much a difference when it comes to velocity...

But my common sense spider tingle is flickin a lil bit
Bwtn a 5" & 6" no real difference in ammo, but the longer length of 40's slide should provide a bit better sight picture. All depends on the main goal, if for protection from 4 legged predators I'd go with the 20, pistol hunting I'd likely go with the 40. Only about a 4oz difference bwtn the two.
41 Mag

Post by 41 Mag »

5532JWK wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:08 pm The G20 with the factory 6 inch hunting barrel with 10mm black talons will do the job on most brown bears. I have one in my den to attest to that fact.
Tell us more about how big it was and how you took it. I'd be afraid to use anything smaller than a 12G with slugs on a Brown Bear, at least the ones I saw while hiking in the North West...
Rodman

Post by Rodman »

When I lived in Alaska I carried a G20 with 6" kkm barrel loaded with Underwood 220gr hard cast. Great set up and honestly up there most people have gravitated to the 10mm up there. Lighter to carry and easier to shoot faster plus lighter. I also carried big bore revolvers if I knew I was going to be in heavy brown bear country. When I head up there this month I will be carrying my new Glock 40 but no optic as I am not a fan of them.

I ran a big gun & ammo shop up there and 10mm ammo was the most popular handgun ammo we sold. Also 10mm glocks were hard to keep in stock.

Here is 2 bears I skinned & defleshed for people. Younger bear that was over 8ft taken 2 miles outside of town top photo. Bottom photo of a 20 plus year old bear that had just come back from being tanned, their claws turn white with age & get shorter, he was taken in Illiama. But I have skinned Kodiak bears that had noses that were as wide as 2 coffee cups put together just for perspective.
Last edited by Rodman on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

How does 10mm power relate to 44 magnum?
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Rodman

Post by Rodman »

10mm is not even close to a 340gr plus p round from buffalo bore. But I can tell you to be seriously efficient with a handgun with that much power you must commit to practicing alot. I know when I carried my 44mag or 454 casull in the woods I shot it 2 days a week at least 200 rounds of standard power and full power. Your wrists and hands take a beating though. The 10mm has adequate power and is easy to shoot fast even with heavy loads that's the benefits. I don't care if you have a 10mm or a 454 if you don't put the round where it needs to go than its useless.

A long time fishing guide on the Kenai put a charging brown bear sow down with a 9mm loaded with buffalo bore hard cast he emptied the mag into her chest and she went down. He said he quit carrying his 44 cause he couldn't shoot it well.

Another guy down in Homer put a sow down that was charging him with a 10mm. He hit her 5 out of 6 shots as he was moving backwards. One was a brain hit and she dropped very close to him. He actually fell backwards after the 5th shot and the 6th shot blew one of his toes off.
photohause

Post by photohause »

Casual wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:40 am Image
https://goo.gl/images/8fUXW3
WOW, nice rig!
“You didn’t finish school, did you?