CZ 83

Pistols of all descriptions.
chester field

CZ 83

Post by chester field »

Any opinions on this anyone? I was thinking of picking one up but have never fired one.

Wondering about pros/cons, what it compares to. Thinking about upping my capacity from my Bersa Firestorm.
Common Sense... so rare it's like a super power
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Never had the CZ 83, but I did own a CZ 82, which was the surplus version in 9mm Makarov, and other than small sights, it was a fantastic gun.
I used to have a nice collection of East German and Bulgarian Makarov pistols - the single stack PM - and the CZ blew them away in capacity, trigger pull, and general ergonomics. Mine was very accurate and fun to shoot. I even carried it on occasion. I sold it when I started purging my oddball calibers, but I never had any problems or major complaints with it - other than the too-small sights.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

^ Same here, I had a couple in the 9x18 flavor. Had to dig for a pic....it was awhile back.

As far as surplus MAK pistols went, they were the best IMO.

They were pretty complicated inside compared to a true MAK, or P64 / P83 / PA63

I got out of the caliber a few years ago, but had quite a few MAK pistols, and the CZ82 was the nicest of them all. Its a pretty "snappy" round, and the CZ-82 was the most pleasant of the bunch to shoot, held double the rounds, and was a pretty capable sidearm.

I did, however, have one fail pretty badly. The "stop" in the swinging trigger guard (if I'm describing that right) broke off on my second CZ, so the slide would pop off, not cool, but was able to replace it pretty easily. (Hence the modern squared off trigger guard in the pic, from a newer commercial CZ pistol)

Not sure if the mags for 9x18 are the same as the 9mm Kurz.

They make a CZ double stack in 32acp, thats on my list, along with a CZ50 or CZ70 to keep my VZ61 company :D

Either way, I think they're good pistols. Especially for the money they were back then.

Centerfire still has a few for $259

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-598 ... ition.aspx
chester field

Post by chester field »

Thanks both. Nice to have the comparison with the Mak too.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

chester field wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:23 am Thanks both. Nice to have the comparison with the Mak too.
As per the Centerfire email flyer today, the CZ83 is discounted at the moment.

$239 with promo code , PROMO20

singleaction

Post by singleaction »

I have the CZ83 civilian model in .380 with square triggerguard.

All steel, excellent ergonomics, 12+1 capacity, can be carried cocked and locked (sweet) or fired double action (decent trigger pull), VERY accurate due to blowback fixed barrel, no malfunctions, nice build quality, old world craftsmanship.................

I would never sell it, it's A+ in my book. I have the polished blue model with walnut grips.

Excellent for CC but heavier than polymer pistols which aids in shooting accurately.

A Beretta 84/85 (?) or Browning BD (?) may be similar (not sure of those model numbers).
fridlo

Post by fridlo »

The CZ-83 has been out of production for 7 years. They are still available on Gunbroker and others, and Centerfire Systems still has some used ones. A few CZ-83's were made in 9mm Mak, making it the equivalent of the Czech military surplus CZ vz.82's (also called CZ-82's). .380 ACP is also called 9mm Kurz or 9mm short. The 9mm Mak is a better cartridge than the .380 (IMHO) and cheaper. The CZ vz.82 9X18 mm Mak barrels have polygonal rifling instead of traditional rifling on the CZ-83's. The magazines are the same for the two cartridges. The CZ vz.82's had a chintzy shiny black paint finish, but otherwise were the same mechanically as the CZ-83's. The CZ vz.82's were very stout, and the Czechs made a cartridge for them that was 20% more powerful than a standard 9X18 Mak cartridge. Buffalo Bore makes some stout rounds in 9X18 Mak, and Underwood Ammo makes some 115 gr 9X18 Mak cartridges that approach 9X19 Parabellum velocities.

Fridlo
fridlo

Post by fridlo »

AIM Surplus still has CZ-82's for $300.

Fridlo
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

singleaction wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:19 am All steel, excellent ergonomics, 12+1 capacity, can be carried cocked and locked (sweet) or fired double action (decent trigger pull), VERY accurate due to blowback fixed barrel, no malfunctions, nice build quality, old world craftsmanship.................

I would never sell it, it's A+ in my book.
I echo this. Mine is in Mak and has an amazing DA trigger pull. It's also ambi mag release and has polygonal rifling. While the 9mm Mak may not be the preferred round, and an all-steel pistol the preferred carry gun, you can get hopped up Mak defensive rounds, and for the money this pistol can't be beat. If that $239 deal is legit, I'll grab another just to have. PRices sure won't go down.

Edit: just saw the age of the thread, CFS doesnt' even have any left in Mak. The .380 version is 325, but I'd hold out for Mak.
chester field

Post by chester field »

Hey Wakko, welcome back!