.223 / 5.56 ammo for home defense...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

There's lots of conflicting information in this thread, and some of it is based on conjecture. Take it with a grain of salt and do some research by trusted sources.

And remember the liberal mantra: "You're more likely to have your own gun used against you, so don't have one at all! Just call 911 and let the police handle it! Nothing in your house is worth taking a human life, so just run out the back door!"
jr81452

Post by jr81452 »

Wakko wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:48 am There's lots of conflicting information in this thread, and some of it is based on conjecture. Take it with a grain of salt and do some research by trusted sources.
That is a very diplomatic way to say this thread is filled with fudd lore. :D
Blow out the windows in a sealed house by firing a 556? SMFH.

I keep my SD mags loaded with 55gr FED TRU rounds, and a pair of walker muffs on the stock. Takes me less than 1 second to throw on the muffs, turn the gain all the way up, pick up the rifle, and fire a round on target.
Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities - Voltaire

Zealot: noun 1. a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Yeah. I wouldn't use AR for HD or SD inside the home... especially with standard ammo like XM855 Green tip. That's more an "outdoor" type thing.

Inside, I'd be looking at "hand gun" choices like 9mm 147 HST, or .45acp JHP... something with sufficient stopping power but not much beyond that initial stop. For "shotties," I'd look at 12G 3" 00-Buck, or 1.57" Slugs. Again, stopping power, but not much beyond the first stop.
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

My 'go to' is Speer Gold Dot LE 62 Gr. SP
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

I ended up getting .223 Federal LE Tactical TRU 64gr. SP for my friend. Decent choice?

ArmedPolak (https://vorbrodt.me/)
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

jr81452 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:45 pm
Wakko wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:48 am There's lots of conflicting information in this thread, and some of it is based on conjecture. Take it with a grain of salt and do some research by trusted sources.
That is a very diplomatic way to say this thread is filled with fudd lore. :D
Blow out the windows in a sealed house by firing a 556? SMFH.

I keep my SD mags loaded with 55gr FED TRU rounds, and a pair of walker muffs on the stock. Takes me less than 1 second to throw on the muffs, turn the gain all the way up, pick up the rifle, and fire a round on target.
Agreed!
Most of what has been stated here is absolute BS.
Yes the sound factor is a thing but blowing out shut windows? Did a liberal reporter with PTSD after firing an AR write this???
A .357 or .44 carbine would run way more risk of over penetration than 5.56....
Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher »

most any gun fired indoors has a good chance of penetrating walls. Self defense indoors with a gun always involves a trade off between your chosen round being able to incapacitate the intruder, and going places you don't what them to go if you miss. Like so many other things in life, you pay your money, and take your chances.
jwperry

Post by jwperry »

Mk18 sized guns using mk262 ammo have a great track record of effectiveness in close quarters while not over penetrating. Kinda why they were paired together to work on boats

Small fast bullets don't like barriers and become ineffective very quickly when encountering them. Heavy slow bullets continue to carry a lot of inertia through barriers because their terminal energy displacement is less reliant on velocity.