NRA Fading Away?

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
P5 Guy

NRA Fading Away?

Post by P5 Guy »

As the NRA fades, a more zealous US pro-gun group rises as a lobbying power.

Last year the Gun Owners of America (GOA) spent $3.3m on lobbying, a record sum for the hardline foe of gun control that now claims over 2 million members and activists, and has previously operated in the shadows of the larger NRA.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

The NRA has been fading away for the past 5 years.
It is now a shadow of it's previous self; as its membership is down, and donations are way down.
GOA is on the rise, and will surpass NRA in membership numbers in a few more years.
George W

Post by George W »

There's a lot of overlap between NRA members and other groups. In my small sample of people I've talked with, it feels like there are three distinct groups.
1. Is the 60+ y/o NRA only members. The proverbial Fudds.
2. There's the under 30 group that wouldn't dare to breathe the same air as the NRA members. They're the hardest of the hard core "All gun laws are infringements" and blame the NRA for being the sell-outs they are.
3. The middle group are members of both the NRA and at least one of the more aggressive groups like the GOA, FRC, GOA, etc. Some are just as hard core as Gen Z, but hold on to their NRA memberships for some personal reason like already a Life Member, requirement to compete, or just to hedge their bets. Others are more moderate, but want to see Constitutional rooted court victories secure freedoms instead of relying on the NRA's Old Boy's Club bribes to stop repeal or legislation. I fall into this group. All gun laws are infringements, but I hold onto my NRA Life Membership because.... well, I can't bring myself to cancel.

Lapierre fucked the NRA for a lot people, me included. When he dies (he'll never step down), the NRA may resurge, but the longer it takes, the fewer people will be members.
Last edited by George W on Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

AT this point, I've pretty much given up on the NRA as a positive force for gun owners. It's just too compromised and corrupt to get anything consequential done. The only thing that I really worry about is what's going to happen to the museum. As far as I know it still hasn't opened up since being closed down and I've heard some bad things about LaPierre's group actually selling donations to continue propping up their activities (though I don't know how true that is). I'm really hoping some other organization buys it and reopens it.

I will admit, I do worry about what will happen if it ever goes down as far as coverage. You just know the press will love harping on it as a major victory for the anti-gun cause which shows how the public supports their cause. Ugh.
My posts kill threads.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

I left the NRA years ago. Corruption and wasted membership funds. That's what happens when you have a hardcore Dem running the organization.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Interesting that their mailings have dropped off. (Thankfully)

Member only because I have been a Life Member for 50 years.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Just renewed my GOA membership today.
Have not donated a penny to the NRA in at least the last ten years.
Still, I've been a NRA Life Member since 1969, and a Patron Life Member for at least the last 30 years.
tector

Post by tector »

Life Member, but haven't sent them a dime in many years, and will not until the current regime is out and a better one is in.

Member of the Second Amendment Foundation and just joined the Firearms Policy Coalition this year given their fine work on the brace issues (where the NRA, again, shit the bed). So both got my money this year.

Never joined GOA because Larry Pratt was a fucking douche. I think the real person in charge there now is Erich Pratt, which is a plus and a minus. It's a plus because he probably can't be as big a dick as Larry Pratt. It a minus because I'm not really in favor of hereditary leadership in these types of organizations. It really shouldn't be "the family business." That said,I willing to keep an open mind.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

tector wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:50 pm It really shouldn't be "the family business."
Agreed. Too many issues could pop up that way.

And yes, until the NRA stops with the current nonsense and current regime I won't support them in any way, shape or form. I've had this discussion on other forums with NRA-forever type individuals. They are usually very vocal about this and that until you actually pin them down to 'how do you feel about your membership money going to private vacations, travel, suits, food and lawyers?'. Then they get real quiet and leave the thread until the next one pops up. Then they get really vocal again that you aren't a 'real' 2A supporter if you talk openly about the current status of the NRA.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
jr81452

Post by jr81452 »

Is there no way for the membership to force LaPieceofShit out? I've been a life member for 25yrs, but I haven't donated since he took over. He always seemed like a smarmy POS, so my money has been going to NAGR instead. If they got rid of pompous fuck and his supporting board members, I'd consider donating again.
Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities - Voltaire

Zealot: noun 1. a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.