Florida hog.

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
Lance C

Florida hog.

Post by Lance C »

Sunday afternoon, I went hog hunting with a buddy and his “pseudo-son-in-law” at Florida Trophy Hunts west of Mims, Florida. I’ve hunted there before and it’s a first-class operation.
We started off in the big buggy at 3:00 and saw pigs right away. They were napping in the shade (it was over 80 degrees) and ran when they heard the buggy or hunkered down if they thought we couldn’t see them. My buddy nailed one that was hiding under the palmettos.
A little after 4:00, I climbed into a stand about 50 yds from the feeder after a 75 yd walk from the buggy so we didn’t spook the pigs. Our guide triggered the feeder and headed back to the buggy. Four minutes later, I had 40-50 piggies swarming around the feeder.
The hard part was getting a good shot without the risk of shooting through the one I wanted and hitting one (or three) on the far side. Since there was no hurry, I held off until I had one in the clear and standing broadside. I zeroed in on the neck behind the ear and squeezed. The hog seemed to move just as I fired and in the pig panic at the shot, I thought I might have missed, but the shot hit dead center in the shoulder and out the other side. The hog went 15 feet and down.
Gun: AR-15 pistol (at least it’s legally a pistol now; ATF might decide something different next week) in 7.62X39 loaded with Hornady Black ammo and wearing a SilencerCo suppressor and a Vortex 1-6X scope.
I’ll pick up the meat tomorrow.
https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=6404726D
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Nice hog - congratulations!
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

Nice hog. Any idea how much it dressed out to?
Lance C

Post by Lance C »

I picked up the meat today (my wife threatened murder if I did any butchering in the back yard again) and it weighed 45 lbs. I wanted roasts and chops and no sausage and the small stuff done as spicy Italian meatballs. I got a lot (A LOT!) of meatballs and the first batch will be going in the crock-pot when they're thawed.
Time to stock up on pasta and sauce.
Central Florida Trophy Hunts is expanding and there's talk of Roe Deer and Blackbuck. I shot a Blackbuck in Argentina 3 1/2 years ago and still don't have the mount. They're still using Covid as an excuse, but still booking hunts. I suspect the head has become the victim of rats by now and they don't want to admit it. My wife's delighted. A head on the wall would seriously contrast with her Florida-tropical decorative theme.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Nice hog, nice shooting

Aldo wondering weight without the guts.

Hunted on your own, or with some type of guide service?

Cost?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lance C

Post by Lance C »

As I said in my posts, it was with Florida Trophy Hunts. Google them for more info.

No idea what the dressed weight was.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

TACC wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:12 pm Nice hog, nice shooting

Aldo wondering weight without the guts.

Hunted on your own, or with some type of guide service?

Cost?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Aldo is not the only one wondering about this. :D

Another question; is the meat processing included in the price of the hunt? Will they ship it out if you don't live nearby?

And of course the most important question, how'd the sausages come out? Any spicy ones?
My posts kill threads.
Lance C

Post by Lance C »

Processing is not included. No idea if they'll ship. I live 20 minutes from the pickup location, so it's no problem for me.
For more info, the number is on their website.
I didn't get sausage, just roasts, chops and meatballs. I had some meatballs (spicy Italian) for lunch today and they're very good.
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

Cost?