Belted Magnum Rifles

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Casual

Belted Magnum Rifles

Post by Casual »

Given the choices for today's modern Bolt action rifles.

Which would you argue is the best based on its merits.
A bolt action chambered in a belted magnum cartridge.

Rugers variety
Winchester action?
Remington?
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I've always had this thing for Winchester control feed action...despite only having Remington, Ruger and Savage bolt action rifles right now. My experience with Riger bolt is limited to 2 rifles and one was good and one was poor so it's a iffy thing for me.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
GreyShark

Post by GreyShark »

I think there's a good argument to skip the belt altogether and go with a cartridge like the 9.63x64 or .375 Ruger, assuming you're interested in big/dangerous game. Working with a 12ga pump has shown me the utility of ejection port loading so I can see the value in being able to jump a singly loaded cartridge's rim but that's more of a sustained fire kind of thing that shouldn't really come up in the context these mid or large bore magnum hunting rifles are used. I think the case against pushfeed has been made a bit too strongly, unless you're working an action slowly while tilting the firearm at weird angles pushfeed is reliable. If I was buying an M70 of course I'd want CRF because it's part of the classic formula but the Model 700 is beyond well proven at this point.
Casual

Post by Casual »

GreyShark wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:14 pm I think there's a good argument to skip the belt altogether and go with a cartridge like the 9.63x64 or .375 Ruger, assuming you're interested in big/dangerous game. Working with a 12ga pump has shown me the utility of ejection port loading so I can see the value in being able to jump a singly loaded cartridge's rim but that's more of a sustained fire kind of thing that shouldn't really come up in the context these mid or large bore magnum hunting rifles are used. I think the case against pushfeed has been made a bit too strongly, unless you're working an action slowly while tilting the firearm at weird angles pushfeed is reliable. If I was buying an M70 of course I'd want CRF because it's part of the classic formula but the Model 700 is beyond well proven at this point.
375 H&H
458 win mag

Are both on my wants list
TACC

Post by TACC »

Why not a 300 PRC?

And forget about the belted part.

Or go with a 30 Nosler?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk