Any Compelling Reason To Get A Black Powder Firearm?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
GreyShark

Any Compelling Reason To Get A Black Powder Firearm?

Post by GreyShark »

I've been thinking this over lately. I'm mostly interested in a percussion revolver but would also consider a musket or rifle. Originally I thought this might be a way around ammo shortages but it ends up there's also an ongoing percussion cap shortage. Casting bullets is easy, making your own black powder is easy from off the shelf ingredients and harder but still possible to completely homebrew according to processes and recipes from centuries ago. It is possible to make your own percussion caps but you're still reliant on commercial sources for primer compound ingredients. Flint locks get around the cap issue but in Florida you're still mostly reliant on commercial sources for flints, suitable stone is only found in some areas of our state and I'm not in one. The old matchlocks and Medieval hand cannons are the least dependent on that kind of stuff, they were created by pre-industrial civilization after all, but at that point archery might be a better option. Finally all black powder firearms are very vulnerable to rain/water which obviously is kind of an issue in a subtropical environment. It'd probably cost me $600+ to gear up for black powder shooting and that would buy a considerable amount of ammo for my modern guns even in today's market. On the other hand black powder firearms are pretty cool in their own right. So, what are your thoughts?
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Pointy stick...always goes bang.
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

Unless you plan on hunting during blackpowder permit time, I see no reason for one, IMO.

That said, I do have an actual flintlock and if I am ever reduced to using that, I'm truly and deeply screwed.
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

I have a Pietta 1860 Army .44 Revolver that belonged to my late FIL - I've had it nearly 20 years and have never fired it.
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Any compelling reason to get a black powder firearm ? Boredom
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette matches.

Shooting metal silhouettes of chickens off hand at 200 yards, turkeys at 300, pigs at 400 and rams at 600.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

and cleaning,then cleaning again just because,LOL
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

A flintlock might be a good idea as a "Just In Case It Gets THAT bad" kind of deal.

They made a lot of black powder using urine in the civil war, and lead isn't hard to get.
Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog »

I have several bp long guns and a couple of revolvers. They are just a fun change from the ordinary although i have taken a few deer and pigs with the long guns.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Always wanted to get into the long guns,just never did,this was back when I had the farm.