What's the consensus on PSA 100-series AKs?

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
tector

What's the consensus on PSA 100-series AKs?

Post by tector »

“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I still read about problems with USA made AK's from all vendors.

Zastava is looking a lot better than they used to. 1.5 mil receivers and chrome-lined barrels. Of course, they don't make 5.45 ones yet.
FloridaMan

Post by FloridaMan »

It’s probably a fun shooter but nothing to trust your life with. All the AK boards I have trolled have regularly shown examples of failures from American made AKs. Most aren’t dangerously catastrophic but many are plain catastrophic. For whatever reason we just don’t have that Cugir sauce. Perhaps there’s fundamental differences between American psychology and the Slavic hall of mirrors. I own a Century made milled AK and while it’s heavy duty, has tighter tolerances and many parts have been replaced with Hungarian and Polish ones (headspacing issues from melting American bolt), it will ultimately meltdown in a sustained SHTF scenario. Not an if. That said, it is a tack driver and very smooth for targets but I keep my rattling, stamped Romanian within reach at night.
“The further a society drifts from the truth the more they will hate those that speak it.”

— George Orwell
tector

Post by tector »

Thanks for input, guys.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I don't know anything about them, that might be an AKfiles question
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

The only good new ones I see are the Zastava’s, or the Romanian’s. Gone are the $300 Chinese, Egyptian, or Hungarian guns. It seems AK’s have gone way up in price, while the AR’s have gone way down in price. GARY.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

FloridaMan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 pm has tighter tolerances
I think that's the fundamental problem with trying to make AK's here, it was a gun designed to be made on 80 year old machines and lax tolerances. Of course you want to be able to just churn parts out on CNC machines. From my understanding, they were all hand-fitted to a certain degree during assembly. Hard to find people with those skills or the capacity to learn them in the USA in the 21st century. It's made to be reliable and made in mass quantities, not to be particularly accurate. I remember how hard it was just trying to get on paper with my brand new Arsenal Bulgarian AK. Best you could buy in 2009, still terrible. They are what they are.
FloridaMan

Post by FloridaMan »

I have a Wasr with pretty good accuracy. I’ve only shot about 50 yards with it but it’ll hit centered on paper targets fine. Not sure about the X rings on them though.
“The further a society drifts from the truth the more they will hate those that speak it.”

— George Orwell
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Do these guns use the thin stem bolts the Saiga’s use, or the standard size bolt like the Romy guns use? GARY.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

N4KVE wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:23 am Do these guns use the thin stem bolts the Saiga’s use, or the standard size bolt like the Romy guns use? GARY.
I believe the 5.45 one's do use a thin stem bolt. I've only seen one in person once, and it was a little while back so its a little fuzzy but I believe it was a thin stem bolt.

I don't know if that applies to all "gens" of those though.

Not sure if the 5.56 are thin stem or not, ive never handled one of those.

The 7.62 version was AKM pattern for sure, not 74 style like a Saiga would be.