What happens if you have an oops moment at the TSA checkpoint?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wakko

What happens if you have an oops moment at the TSA checkpoint?

Post by Wakko »

Bad things, boys and girls. Bad things. I recently had the opportunity to find out how the process works with the TSA checkpoints in regards to firearms. Apparently, if you attempt to deliberately, or accidentally, get a firearm (of ANY type) through a checkpoint, and you do NOT have a CWL, you get carted off to the pokey, no questions asked. Have a permit? Either you'll get issued a court summons for later, or the case information is sent to the district attorney for possible prosecution. The firearm gets taken either way, of course. Then the TSA will send you a bill for services rendered, possibly in the thousands of dollars. It's a sliding scale based on if the weapon was loaded or not, or chambered or not. Have pre-check status? Extra fine. Flying international? Oh boy, now Customs is gonna lock your tail up. "But it's just gun parts! But it's just one round of .22!" Yep, doesn't matter. I usually travel with my 5 day pack (Got it from @Flashooter22 years ago) and it has also been a range bag on occasion, but not anymore. Just not worth the risk of an accidentally missed shell casing or something.

Edit: It wasn't me, nor was it anyone I know. Just was able to get a window seat for the process.
Last edited by Wakko on Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casual

Post by Casual »

It's repeated everything I work at a nuclear facility .... range bags and job bags do not mix...... to easy for oops... and the boots have nicer kit than the TSA trash....
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

so probably not elaborating due to pending charges, sorry that sucks.....but Im guessing a .22 conversion upper for either a Glock or a 1911.

I know an old Dead Air rep who had a silencer tube that for all sakes and purposes is a silencer according to ATF :roll: , his argument .....it wasn't allowed to be out of his possession, because that would constitute a transfer blah,blah,blah, so he decided to put it in his jacket pocket for a flight because he was stubborn and didn't wanna declare and check a firearm :shock:
tector

Post by tector »

Sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out as best as possible. Thanks for the info.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Using range bags and as luggage is bad mojo. Just ask my BIL.

Long ago, we were in-line with the family to go through the gate on international travel. And he kicked his luggage forward in line. And out flew a nice 45ACP live cartridge. Luckily, I stepped on it and he recovered it without being noticed and made a dash to the bathroom to flush it. :lol:
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Wasn't me!
tector

Post by tector »

Wakko wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:31 pmWasn't me!
Good news!
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
frenchkat

Post by frenchkat »

My office is in a large County building in south Miami. On a Wednesday, I was entering the building. They installed TSA style x-ray and screening techniques. I went through without a problem, but it seemed the guy behind me had an issue.

Screeners got all excited by something they say on the x-ray. Made the poor guy almost strip, checking him out.

In the meantime, my book bag had not come out of the conveyor. So, I'm standing there waiting for my bag, watching the show. LEO comes over and gets involved.

I come to realize that the bag they are looking at is mine. I go over to ask what the problem is. They tell me they found one (1) round of ammunition.

I had used the bag over the weekend to carry some extra pistols to the range. Somehow, 1 round of .45 ACP had come out of a mag and was laying in the bottom of the bag. After everyone had a chuckle (mostly me) (the guy behind me was pissed) I had to take the one round back to the garage to store in my car.

Just glad it was a local security company instead of TSA. Thing is, I had been thru security twice before with the offending object.

Be careful
George W

Post by George W »

I know a guy..... a Mail man no less that found out what happens as well. He too used a range back for a carry on. He was headed to Canada with his wife. He left two full mags and a dozen lose rounds in his bag and tried making his way through TSA at Tampa International. He was pulled from line and held until TPD came in to interview him. After a couple of hours, he was allowed to continue on. He got a notice that the TSA may fine him. This was in 2008, so the threshold of hang 'em may have changed since.

In the end, he never got a fine, nor was he charged. The real kicker....... they missed 4 loose rounds. He found them in his bag when he got to his in-laws cabin in remote Quebec.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

I used to do a lot of family hunting trips. My brother left a choke tube in his jacket one trip on the way home. Security made aa fuss but in the end they made him throw it away but that was twenty years ago prior to all of the theater. I guess it would have turned out differently today.