My friend's house was hit by a bullet... advice

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Jason

Post by Jason »

Tell your friend it's okay to be confrontational once trajectories of death come in his home uninvited. He does nothing then he is just as responsible for any damage going forward from this point.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Your friend needs to send a certified letter to the neighbor - with an identical copy via regular mail, with proof of delivery (no signature required). Enclose pictures of the bullet, the hole in his house, holes in interior walls, and a photo taken line-of-sight from the hole in the exterior wall, across the trampoline and back toward his neighbor's "range." Pull up an aerial view of friend's property and neighbors property on Google Earth or similar. Draw a line from the entry point of the bullet in the wall of friend's house back to the neighbor's property. Letter should demand full disclosure of the neighbor's home owners insurance info and any other applicable liability policies, so your friend can put in a claim for the damage to his home. As the alternative to providing the info himself, neighbor can just forward the letter and photos to his insurance companies.

Basis of the claim is neighbor's failure to use an appropriate backstop and unreasonably dangerous use of a firearm by firing over residential property (your friend's) which incidentally endangered your friend and his family. See Section 790.15, Florida Statutes. Letter needs to demand the neighbor immediately cease and desist firing guns toward your friend's property. Insist on a response on insurance coverage within 30 days, but the shooting must stop immediately.

CC the Sheriff with the letter, and invite his response, or a response from the office of General Counsel, as to why he thinks nothing can be done.
trouter3

Post by trouter3 »

Odesssaman very comprehensive & sound remedy to the mans problem, all to be done legally by the book, sounds to me like you have a law background ...
To the OP if your neighbor is to passive and won't confront this idiot he deserves what he got and what he is going to get, he needs to take action immediately b4 he has to make funeral arrangements for a family' member and what a travesty that would be ... you have fulfilled your obligation to your neighbor now he has to react ...
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

kmagnuss wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:52 pm The guy has a gate so he can't get near the house to talk to him.
The property appraiser's web site will have the gated property owner's name and mailing address, if different from the address of the gate.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
revelation

Post by revelation »

You should get one of those can cannon uppers and bombard his house with the most sugary 12oz sodas and have the ants do the rest! :D
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

I just find it hard to believe that when a bullet strikes your home from a neighbor's property. That LEOs say there's nothing they can do. That's B.S.

That'd be like someone that did not like you living close to you and shooting at your home.

You call L.E. and they say, sorry nothing we can do.

Somethings not right here. I've seen news reports of this before and police were all over these types of incidents

The mere fact the bullet left the neighbor's property and struck a home is in violation of the law.

For instance. It's illegal to fire your gun into The air because it might come down and hit someone.

They cover this law every 4th of July and New Year. What's the difference here. These are not just laws on these dates. They are year round.

There is no difference here. Somethings up with these cops. I'd contact the local states attorneys office with a copy of the police report and the sheriff himself and local news station. They are all just a phone call away.

I promise you. They will be all over this. If you do this.

This was handled completely wrong and the officers either did not know the laws or did not want to enforce them. Because he's a good old boy. Either that or he knows the property owner

The L.E.O. said it's not against the law if your neighbor shoots your home with a gun. That's utter B.S. call those people above asap.

Tell your friend to call those people above before someone in his home or someone else's homes is shot. That so called idiot cop lied
Last edited by Firemedic2000 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
photohause

Post by photohause »

“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Bang his wife...
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
kmagnuss

Post by kmagnuss »

Thanks guys... really appreciate it.

-Mag
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Paraphrasing from Florida hunting regulations, any projectile crossing another person’s property without the landowner’s permission is a felony in the third degree.
If the defendant is convicted of a felony, especially in violation of a firearms law, well...he can say bye-bye to his guns. I do believe that would alleviate the “neighbor with a gun range” problem you have.

R/Griff