Is 9 MM ammo worth $1 a round?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

Looks like we will be leaving FL to to to an unfriendly gun state. Depending on how we get there I can take my primers, powder and ammo or have to get rid of all of it and buy new. That's why I was looking at prices if I have dump what I have I wanted to see what it would cost to replace.

If I dump it won't be for .30 a round.
redeagle

Post by redeagle »

Well, you have a sellers market right now. I think you should be able to buy replacements cheaper later on but depends on your timing and how much and what caliber you shoot.

For example 1k rounds for the M1 could last me years with 2 or 3 vintage matches a year, while that many of 9mm won’t get me past 2 months of drills and IDPA events. Also, primers seem to be the worst problem. Not too hard to find powder or projectiles. Luckily, primers take very little space so I’d look to sell the heavier stuff you can replace at your destination but hold on to the primers. Also, you might have to drive it there yourself. I think moving companies can’t/won’t take ammo or hazmat items.

In the meantime, in the spirit of neighborliness and forum community spirit, consider me your friendly neighborhood disposal service. We pickup door to door :D :lol:
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

redeagle wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:58 pm Well, you have a sellers market right now. I think you should be able to buy replacements cheaper later on but depends on your timing and how much and what caliber you shoot.

For example 1k rounds for the M1 could last me years with 2 or 3 vintage matches a year, while that many of 9mm won’t get me past 2 months of drills and IDPA events. Also, primers seem to be the worst problem. Not too hard to find powder or projectiles. Luckily, primers take very little space so I’d look to sell the heavier stuff you can replace at your destination but hold on to the primers. Also, you might have to drive it there yourself. I think moving companies can’t/won’t take ammo or hazmat items.

In the meantime, in the spirit of neighborliness and forum community spirit, consider me your friendly neighborhood disposal service. We pickup door to door :D :lol:
Thinking about renting a class C RV one way would give me enough room for 2 dogs, 2 cats , powder , primers and ammo
redeagle

Post by redeagle »

Sounds like a good way to go. If space gets tight, just toss the cats :lol:
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Ger42 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:59 pm
Thinking about renting a class C RV one way
I tried that with a car across the state and the fee for doing it was... eye opening! :shock:
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

A lot depends on the destination. One drop off city can cost a lot more than another based on supply-demand and the VIG. For example, I was looking into rates for a friend. His intended destination was western NC. The cost was TWICE the cost for the same type vehicle as it would be to Iowa, a much greater distance.

My suggestion is to pick a vehicle, and play on the rental websites with dates and destinations. Sometimes a city a hundred miles away or less can cost less.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

How long before $2 for 9mm ball?
sakotrg

Post by sakotrg »

zeebaron wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:00 pm How long before $2 for 9mm ball?
A friend of mine just picked up 400 rounds of Winchester 9mm at Academy Sports for $34.99/100, or .35 per round.

There are places still selling at reasonable prices.
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

REDinFL wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:49 am A lot depends on the destination. One drop off city can cost a lot more than another based on supply-demand and the VIG. For example, I was looking into rates for a friend. His intended destination was western NC. The cost was TWICE the cost for the same type vehicle as it would be to Iowa, a much greater distance.

My suggestion is to pick a vehicle, and play on the rental websites with dates and destinations. Sometimes a city a hundred miles away or less can cost less.
We ae heading West can't say where or when just yet.
tector

Post by tector »

Damn, it sounds like the old days of the Oregon Trail--good luck.

There is a place out west I have my eye on after retirement. Now I just have to tell my wife....
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”