Charter .44 Spl. Bulldog

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
Detachment Charlie

Charter .44 Spl. Bulldog

Post by Detachment Charlie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:06 am

It's a little late at this point, since I took delivery yeterday, but what are your opinions of this little belly gun?
I know it won't hold up to heavy loads, but, any .44 caliber is nothing to sneeze at. I figure I should be able to duplicate "normal" 200gr. .45ACP loads.
What says the hive? [smilie=popcorn.gif]
I am old. I am retired. I am a combat veteran. I am grouchy. I am intolerant, and I am judgemental. I am also alive. Thank you. I am off to the range.

The United Nations is a criminal organization.

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Charter .44 Spl. Bulldog

Post by kmagnuss » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:41 am

I have no experience with one... but I want one.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:48 am

The Gold Dots for .44 special are 200 grain at approx 900 f/s, out of whatever barrel length is used for testing.
About the same as the factory 200 grain load for a .45 acp.
Assuming the Bulldog is designed for the load, and it probably is, it should be ok to duplicate these loads.
Shooting it much in a light weight gun is another matter.

stpetejoe

Post by stpetejoe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:27 am

Its total junk,you better let me get it from you for disposal(HA HA )
"My greatest fear is that once I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell all my guns for the amount I told her I paid for them"

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:22 am

I have one--no complaints (it is about 3 feet away from me here at work). A good gun for the price.

I just picked up (2 days ago) a Taurus 445:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=

I think it weighs one ounce more than Charter.

I got it from CTD, which had a better price than Bud's:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/75407-1.html

$329 + $10 and change shipping + $25 transfer, I had it in hand for $365 just two days after I ordered it. Not bad!
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

I've had one for years. Hits about as hard as a .357Mag J-frame (i.e. not fun to shoot unless you're a masochist.) Mine has the skimpy little wood grips so your larger, more forgiving, rubber grips will probably temper that recoil a bit, but it will still be pretty stout.

Hope you like your new acquisition...

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:24 am

tector wrote:I have one--no complaints (it is about 3 feet away from me here at work). A good gun for the price.

I just picked up (2 days ago) a Taurus 445:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=

I think it weighs one ounce more than Charter.

I got it from CTD, which had a better price than Bud's:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/75407-1.html

$329 + $10 and change shipping + $25 transfer, I had it in hand for $365 just two days after I ordered it. Not bad!
What's the size like on the Charter and Taurus compared to a J-frame?

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:34 am

Size:

Taurus > Charter > J-frame.

I pocket carry a J-frame. You could pocket carry a Charter, but they'd have to be big sized pockets. I think the Taurus is too much for most pocket carry. But occasionally I read of people pocket carrying
all kinds of guns I don't expect.

Also, the 44s have to have a wider cylinders just from the size of the rounds.

I'd say the .44s are very good alternative to the micro .45acps, which I don't trust.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:59 am

In case anyone was wondering... here's a pic of a jframe over a bulldog:

If the link dosn't work:

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... id=738&t=1

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:50 pm

You can get a Bond Arms derringer in .44sp if you want to go REAL small!

Detachment Charlie

Post by Detachment Charlie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Quicky range report --
The piece itself is nicely done, cleanly machined and tight. I does have a "No Bullshit" look to it. The stock rubber grips seem a tad thin in the web of my hand, but your hand ain't mine.
The double action trigger is very tactile. A smooth trigger shoe delivers the staging of the lockwork well, making let-off predictable, but not as crisp as single action shots. Single action every thing snapped at the right time and with a certain feeling of decent design. Overall, the pistol feels solid and well designed and built.
Eager to get to the Bang-Bang part, I grabbed up a bag of Georgia Arms 200 gr JHP Speer Bonded Core, supplier rated at 850 fps.
Now, I don't claim to be no Super SEAL, pistolero gunfighter, but the results from this made me look like someone with a guide-dog and a red-tipped white cane. At 12 yds., there was no group. There was, however, a pattern, but not quite as tight as my Ithaca 37 Clone 12 ga.
The target showed symptoms of keyholing on a few shots.
I thought I had tossed a fistful of Winchester 230 gr. Silver Tips in the bag, but didn't. They'll be tried next trip. I hope these produce better results,but I have my doubts. The Winchester bullet mics out at 0.428"; the Georgia Arms Speers gave a diameter of 0.429".
I have some 200 gr LSWC coming from my favorite lead supplier, S&S Casting. More to come. I hope with more encouraging information, because, day-em, this Bulldog carries nice, especially in a crossdraw rig for driving.
So, that's all I got for now. More when Starline, Lee and S&S come through. Till then, Viva La Revolucion! :ber
I am old. I am retired. I am a combat veteran. I am grouchy. I am intolerant, and I am judgemental. I am also alive. Thank you. I am off to the range.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:17 am

Assuming it's not the shooter that's causing this kind of inaccuracy, you might want to check some basics on the gun.
Like if the cylinder chambers are completely lining up with the barrel, at lockup.
Or if there's some kind of restriction in the barrel that might mess up the bullets in their travel through it.
Like a front sight screw or tenon sticking down into the path of the passing bullet.
Or a burr or something in the forcing cone.
Stuff like that.
It doesn't take much to mess up the accuracy.
Just a thought, or two, or more.

PCJim9mm
Life Member
Life Member

Post by PCJim9mm » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Detachment Charlie wrote:Quicky range report --
At 12 yds., there was no group. There was, however, a pattern, but not quite as tight as my Ithaca 37 Clone 12 ga.
The target showed symptoms of keyholing on a few shots.
:ber
Tumbling / keyholing might not be a bad thing at the close ranges the revolver is designed for...

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 pm

The keyholing could be a clue that the barrel is somewhat oversized for the ammo you are using.
But it would be more consistent than just doing it occasionally.
It probably wouldn't hurt to check the barrel or try slightly larger bullets.
I once had a gun that did that and using bullets just .001 larger cured it.

Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Lilwoody » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:59 am

I've had the Charter SS model for about 25 years now with a set of hogue rubber grips. Recoil isn't as bad as a lw j frame 38plus p. We don't shoot it too much (I heard they are easy to shoot loose with 1000 rounds or so) 45 ACP performance in a compact revolver, good alternative to the wiz bang autos for less than 1/2 the price. It does like 240 gr cast bullets with 4.5 grs of tite group for range fun. For defense loads you can't beat Winchester Silver tips.

Detachment Charlie

Post by Detachment Charlie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:32 am

Was back at the range a few days ago; this time with Winchester Silver Tips. No more obvious keyholing. But, it was still more a pattern than a group. I had the proverbial "öne ragged hole" with my Sig 220. But, this d%^&m revolver is gonna cause me fits. Next step is lead SWC...the mail carrier already has the hernia-- will advise (A.K.A. keep bitchin' til I solve the problem.) ](*,)
Thanx, Dooooooods
/:f

Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Lilwoody » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:37 pm

You ain't goning to get that bull dog shooting like that Sig. It' made for putting large holes on a pie plate at under 7 yards. Also try keying on shooting it DA only because if god forbid you need to use it in a defensive situation that's how you'll be using it. It's how I shoot all my J frames and the Bull dog.

Detachment Charlie

Post by Detachment Charlie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:43 pm

It was back to the range today for more "forensic shooting"to determine if I can get the Charter Arms .44 Spl. Bulldog to group. Gents, we have succeeded. The answer was, get rid of the 200gr LRNFP bullets and replace them with 240gr JSPs. Stop using Clays and move uptown to A2400. Not too far up town, this ain't no magnum. But, it does like heavy bullets moving swiftly. Last string of five shots were within a playing card at 12 yds. I can live with this. I don't know how long this lightweight .44 can live with the loads. It is destined to be a "carried a lot, shot a little"gun.
Still have not found the magic combination for the Taurus .44 Spl lightweight snub, but I think it may like the same loadings as the Charter. More later. :ber

onebigelf

Post by onebigelf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Yep, that was gonna be my suggestion, try different ammo. The Bulldog has a reputation for decent accuracy. It also has a reputation for loosening up with heavy loads, so it's definitely a "shoot sparingly". It is also, IMO, a decent compromise between .357 and .44 magnums. It's the revolver for the "big heavy slow moving" crowd if you don't want to carry a .45ACP or .45 Long Colt, neither of which I can recall a single example of in a concealable revolver. I don't consider the Colt Anaconda, the Taurus Judge, the Ruger Redhawk or the S&W Model 25 to be concealable rw:

John