The Days Of ‘Concealed Means Concealed’ Increasingly Coming to an End

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Miami_JBT

The Days Of ‘Concealed Means Concealed’ Increasingly Coming to an End

Post by Miami_JBT »

https://www.shootingnewsweekly.com/2024/05/21/the-days-of-concealed-means-concealed-are-increasingly-coming-to-an-end/
As a gun owner in Florida, I grew up with the mantra, "concealed means concealed." Meaning that if a place banned the carrying of firearms, but is legal under the law, what they don't know won't hurt them.

That was the way things were (and still are frequently) done. I recall plenty of places that had signs stating they were a gun-free zone. But the thing about Florida is those signs don't carry the weight of law. We just shrugged and kept right on carrying.

It was much like the street corner and the brown paper bag. Public drinking is illegal. But a civic compromise was made. As long as an adult beverage was in a brown paper bag, there was no issue. The authorities looked the other way as long as the guy on the street corner holding the brown paper bag wasn't acting the fool.

That's been the way of things regarding concealed carry. Corporate establishments like Dadeland Mall in Miami or even Disney used to post signage stating they're gun-free zones. But as long as you were civilized and didn't act the fool, they didn't care if you carried as long as they didn't know about it.

Prior to the pandemic, I carried multiple times at what is now Disney Springs, back when it was originally known as Pleasure Island and later, Downtown Disney. That was all legal at the time, of course.

Because I was a permitted license holder and while they had signs, they never checked me, told me to secure my piece, or told me outright that I wasn't allowed to carry there.

With the pandemic, that all came to an end. Disney turned the area to Disney Springs and they closed off all the various pedestrian paths that allowed you to simply walk in and enjoy. You now have to go through a screening location for "public health" screenings.

Part of that is a weapons check. But it isn't a standard metal detection system. Oh no, it was a fancy new AI driven system called Evolv Express.

I bring this up because it isn't just Disney any more that's using this kind of scrutiny of the public. As a gun owner, I'm seeing these systems spring up everywhere. Local governments are getting trigger happy with them. In fact, the City of Orlando has set up a similar system on public streets, screening law-abiding people who are simply going about their business.

The Mayor of Orlando says that the system is "voluntary" and complained about Florida's state preemption laws that restricts him from declaring the entire city a gun-free zone. But in reality, when the system was enacted, it was enacted wasn't voluntary at all. If you wanted to enter the downtown Orlando area, you had to walk through the checkpoints and be scanned.

I take that as a huge affront to my Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights. Orlando Police now have a reason to stop you if you trip their system and they want to determine if you're carrying legally.

This is what our future is becoming places where you're recorded, scanned, digitally analyzed, cataloged, and electronically searched without any practical consent. The days of concealed actually being concealed are increasingly over.

With the United States Supreme Court stating that you and I have the inalienable right to keep and bear arms outside of the home, gun-grabbers have thrown anything and everything against the wall in an attempt to see what will stick constitutionally regarding limits on the right to keep and bear arms. We've seen New York practically declare all of the outdoors a gun-free zone, including Times Square.

But since forever, people had the mindset that "concealed means concealed" and kept right on carrying while not drawing attention to themselves. As technology and AI become cheaper and more widely available, that will be coming to an end. Expect more and more locations to electronically violate your personal space, track you and possibly even have you banned from locations you used to visit freely.

Private property owners, of course, have that right. City and other government entities can expect court challenges based on violations of state preemption laws, where applicable, not to mention individuals' civil rights.

The goal here, of course, is to ensure that more people are disarmed more of the time. This will also inevitably lead to more gun thefts as individuals are forced to disarm and store guns in their cars in order to enter certain venues. Criminals are smart enough to know that people entering and leaving those well-established "gun-free" zones will be disarmed and make easy targets, as will their vehicles.

This currently is likely our future as the Fourth Amendment gently weeps. If you want to minimize this, be loud now with local businesses and government authorities and tell them you oppose this.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

So if I accidentally enter Orlando's no-gun zone and it trips this new scanner, what happens?

Is there somebody at the scanner ready to check for my carry permit?

If I'm "legal" to carry can I continue on or will I be turned back to put my sidearm in the car/motorcycle all the while some bad guy who is watching just casually follows along until I'm back inside the twilight zone of safety?

Scanners on public streets or is this privately owned by the Disnoids?

AD
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

No carry permit required. So, what will "they" do? Stop and interrogate? For what cause? Sounds like pieces being put into place for some longer term objective.

Can't carry in this zone? Take back to car? Someone follows you as you posit. Steal the weapon from the car, or follow you?

What they need are signs saying something like "To protect everyone's safety..." Sounds like an implied warranty. If something happens...lawyer time.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Guess I will not be attending those areas

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Gee, the Orlando Kommies could not have placed that system to the other side of I4 where it would capture crooks? Paramount needs that a lot more than the tourists do. But that would be RACIST to deny people of color the right to carry without a permit and kill each other...

It would not surprise me if funding for this came from the Feds. Seems like the Kommies have learned that it is easier to go to the local / state level to get 2A eliminated.

So let me get this right - on private property, like a store, the "newcomers" are free to loot (up to a some limit) and must be left untouched. But a concealed carry citizen gets a criminal trespassing violation.

Maybe this system should be suggested to the Kommie in Charge, his holiness the Mayor of Chicago and install it in the Chicago South side?

The wife wants to go downtown to place like Lake Eleanor but I refuse as there are too many bums, and druggies and other dregs of society, like our mayor.

So since this is "voluntary", I assume that if one refuses you get a free ride to the pokey?
Last edited by Flame Red on Tue May 28, 2024 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Not a shocker at all Florida is not so friendly when comes to guns anymore will see more and more of this I'm sure.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

lakelandman wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:07 pm Not a shocker at all Florida is not so friendly when comes to guns anymore will see more and more of this I'm sure.
Certainly in the "blue" cities like Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, etc.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:27 am
lakelandman wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:07 pm Not a shocker at all Florida is not so friendly when comes to guns anymore will see more and more of this I'm sure.
Miami is Republican run.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

ADulay wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:57 pm So if I accidentally enter Orlando's no-gun zone and it trips this new scanner, what happens?

Is there somebody at the scanner ready to check for my carry permit?

If I'm "legal" to carry can I continue on or will I be turned back to put my sidearm in the car/motorcycle all the while some bad guy who is watching just casually follows along until I'm back inside the twilight zone of safety?

Scanners on public streets or is this privately owned by the Disnoids?

AD
The goal is to make it as much of a hassle to where you don't go places. The scanners have been placed on public sidewalks. If you're legally carrying, the police won't arrest you. But they will hassle you. Again, the goal is to make people not carry due to the hassle. As the saying goes, the process is the punishment. You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Miami_JBT wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:39 am
FfNJGTFO wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:27 am
Miami is Republican run.
"True" Republican, or "Uniparty" Republican? I mean, with my living in Pasco County, I feel safe (to an extent) and comfortable carrying concealed. I can "Wally Walk" without much apprehension at all. I would not feel as safe or comfortable in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete, as well as Orlando, anywhere in Broward, and Monroe County. Are you saying I could feel as safe as I do in Pasco County, in Miami-Dade County? Safe, in re a LEO hassle context (as opposed to being the victim of a crime)? Isn't Miami-Dade where Janet Reno had her base of operation? Where a lot of LEAs are still reacting to the big federal Miami Bank Robbery? Perhaps, the Rep. party might still be alive and well, but I think the LE sentiment there is not.