Open & Campus Carry Bill filed as of Jan 9 at 8:54am

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am
Be ready to counter the argument that, "Not everything is doable at 18." You can't drink or buy alcoholic beverages at 18, you can't have a medical/dental license at 18, etc. etc. etc. Personally, I don't have a problem with 18+ folks owning guns and I thought it weird that there was that restriction. Even in the PRNJ, the restriction applied only to handguns when I was living there (maybe it's changed, now, dunno). But I'm sure the antis will counter with the "maturity" argument. Yes the person is of "legal age," but are they mature enough at that age to do everything?
The state’s argument is that someone under 21 isn't of mental reasoning to own and purchase firearms. Yet the state says someone under the age of 21 is of mental reasoning to become an armed agent of the state and be entrusted with the legal authority to enforce law and detain someone, with deadly force if necessary.

The state’s argument collapses on that premise alone.

The antics can't counter that 19 year olds are given guns and the authority to use said guns against them in their own neighborhoods. They hate it when I bring that up.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Repealing Under 21 Ban passed House. Senate refuses it.
Repealing FDLE's abuses of the background check system passed House. Senate refuses it.
Open Carry refused by both House and Senate.
Governor DeSantis silent on entire issue.

Only "pro-gun" bill that will reach the Governor's desk is SB 1286. Which passed both the Senate and the House. Arrestees can now petition to get their guns returned to them after 30-days if the firearm wasn't seized as evidence and they aren't barred from possession of a firearm.

This is "good" in the sense that we (GOA) as an organization experienced a member being wrongfully arrested (FL PATRIOT ARRESTED FOR EXERCISING 1A RIGHT TO PROTECT 2A RIGHTS ) and he had to fight to get his gun back. But the reality is, out of the hundreds of thousands of arrests, very few are in that situation.

SB 1286 is stale crumbs being thrown at gun owners. And Governor DeSantis has broken his promise to gun owners. He said he'd back a bill if it was introduced. He's done jack shit.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Today on the Bob Rose Show, the host questioned Sen. Blaise Ingoglia about the failures in the legislature regarding the Second Amendment. The host used all my talking points from yesterday's interview.

https://www.audacy.com/podcast/bob-rose ... 32fcc622d4

Sen. Ingoglia admits that Republicans are weak and leadership only wants to maintain the supermajority. So they kowtow to the weakest Republicans and keep them happy.

He also claimed that DeSantis works behind the scenes. Which further solidified my stance that DeSantis doesn't lobby for gun rights since nothing is happening on gun rights, but other bills are moving forward.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

tector

Post by tector »

I appreciate your frustration, but we've had the same conversation over and over the past couple of years. Our state legislature GOP is not like other state GOP legislatures because, in large sections of the state, our GOP voters are not alike GOP voters elsewhere. They are refugees from up north where, so aside from basic 2A issues (i.e., the right to concealed carry), they just don't care about our issues. They care about taxes, business regulation, and not having their kids turned into trannies. So they are unlikely to punish these clowns harshly, at least not in sufficient numbers to put the fear of God into them. Ironically, since 2020, our state has imported many more GOP voters, making it much more reliably Republican at the polls (contrast the 2018 and 2022 elections), but less hardcore on 2A issues. The same may be true on other issues (abortion might be one).

There is no easy fix to this, since you have to persuade voters to change, not legislators. Sorry.
Last edited by tector on Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

tector wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:58 pm I appreciate your frustration, but we've had the same conversation over and over the past couple of years. Our state legislature GOP is not like other state GOP legislatures because, in large sections of the state, our GOP voters are not alike GOP voters elsewhere. They are refugees from up north where, so aside from basic 2A issues (i.e., the right to concealed carry), they just don't care about our issues. They care about taxes, business regulation, and not having their kids turned into trannies. So they are unlikely to punish these clowns harshly, at least not in sufficient numbers to put the fear of God into them. Ironically, since 2020, our state has imported many more GOP voters, making it much more reliably Republican at the polls (contrast the 2018 and 2022 elections), but less hardcore on 2A issues. The same be true on other issues (abortion might be one).

There is no easy fix to this, since you have to persuade voters to change, not legislators. Sorry.
Well, that's the beautiful thing. The more I make it an issue, the more they can't ignore it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. The legislature thinks they'll outlast me. Jokes in them.... ;) We'll eventually succeed.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Yes, keep up the good fight

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

People are only responsible for things they can control.

With things they can not control, there is no failure.

Capisce?

:)
Let's Go Brandon
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Permitless carry happened because I spent three years hammering the legislature for being failures and made it a campaign issue for DeSantis' failed 2024 rub. He needed a feather for his campaign cap. And now that he's crashed and burned. The game is afoot again.