Traveling to Alaska

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
cal45

Traveling to Alaska

Post by cal45 »

Will be flying into Alaska for a week in June.
Looking at the Alaska.gov site and it does state they do have a Reciprocity Agreement with FL for each state's CCW permit holders.
Has anyone traveled to Alaska recently with their firearm in their checked bag (following all TSA rules)? If so, any issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

cal45 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:54 pm Will be flying into Alaska for a week in June.
Looking at the Alaska.gov site and it does state they do have a Reciprocity Agreement with FL for each state's CCW permit holders.
Has anyone traveled to Alaska recently with their firearm in their checked bag (following all TSA rules)? If so, any issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks
One of the guys I know from another forum has vacationed there (from Michigan). He brought two firearms, one for him and one for the wife. Don't recall which models but both were big bore as they intended on going hiking and such. He reported no issues with transporting them on the plane according to the airlines policy.

I'd check the specific airline, but generally speaking I believe the firearm(s) are unloaded and locked in a container inside of the luggage and the ammunition is separate and (IIRC) also locked up in a container inside the luggage. These would be checked bags of course.

On YT there is a channel by 'Patriot Nurse' who travels all the time as she teaches courses. She has a video on this topic.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
cal45

Post by cal45 »

Deputydave wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:38 am
cal45 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:54 pm Will be flying into Alaska for a week in June.

Thanks
One of the guys I know from another forum has vacationed there (from Michigan). He brought two firearms, one for him and one for the wife. Don't recall which models but both were big bore as they intended on going hiking and such. He reported no issues with transporting them on the plane according to the airlines policy.

I'd check the specific airline, but generally speaking I believe the firearm(s) are unloaded and locked in a container inside of the luggage and the ammunition is separate and (IIRC) also locked up in a container inside the luggage. These would be checked bags of course.

On YT there is a channel by 'Patriot Nurse' who travels all the time as she teaches courses. She has a video on this topic.
Thanks, Dave - yes, just taking the one pistol, one mag, and one box of ammo.
They will all go in a locked case in my checked luggage bag. Flying Alaskan Airlines and have their policy printed out, too.
George W

Post by George W »

Flying in and out of Alaska with guns will be the easiest trip you'll take. I would wager that 40-50% of travelers there are taking guns. The airlines and TSA know the drill well.
cal45

Post by cal45 »

George W wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:38 pm Flying in and out of Alaska with guns will be the easiest trip you'll take. I would wager that 40-50% of travelers there are taking guns. The airlines and TSA know the drill well.
LOL - I was thinking the same. Even though I'm not hunting, I just want to avoid being easy prey. ;)
cal45

Post by cal45 »

Just picked up a S&W M&P 2.0 10mm Compact for the trip.
Will have it loaded with Underwood 200 gr Flat Nose 10mm.

*** 5/19 Edit
Came across a SW 629 PC snub that I had to have.......so that will now be traveling with me on my Alaska trip.