Full implant teeth (not dentures). If you did it please share

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Chris6424

Post by Chris6424 »

Wulfmann, thank you for the compliment. Your assessment of the time involved, complexity of the procedure, downsides, potential problems and costs are spot on.
PM me if you have any other questions.
Chris
photohause

Post by photohause »

What Beretta said. I only had ONE done, and it was for replacing a dead tooth. Had to have some bone grow back. After each visit, every five or six weeks, I was on a fluid diet for two days, soup for two days, some food fo three days. Also ad a retainer. al in all, six months. Terrific oral surgeon team Adventuredome finished with local dentist. 7K total.

BTW, sometimes there are issues with flying and surgeries.

Oh, I lots 22lbs and have kept it off!

Cheers.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
SeaDragun

Post by SeaDragun »

Chris6424 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:54 pm As a retired dentist, and having done a few of these cases, I can tell you that none of these cases are ever straightforward or without complications. It's a lot of prep, culminating in one very stessful appointment (for the dentist) where you HOPE that everything fits. If it doesn't fit, there is the tendency to MAKE it fit. Problems will manifest later(failing implants, fracture of the restoration,etc.) if the case was made to fit, adjusted heavily, and ultimately hammered into place. These cases always require a lot of adjustments and maintenance for them to last. If you have it done in a foreign country, good luck having your neighbourhood dentist here in the US do that for you. In the past, I have been reluctant to adjust or remedy cases done in a foreign country, and have instead referred these patients back to the original restoring dentist. I never wanted to be in the position of another dentist saying I screwed up their work.
I would not have this done at Aspen Dental. The dentists are recent graduates, inexperienced, overconfident in their abilities. The turnover is high, so there is a good chance that you may not see the same dentist as you progress through treatment.

Implant dentures should be an absolute LAST resort. You will be much happier if you can retain a few natural teeth and do a partial or a bridge.

Having had this done in Charlotte NC 4 years ago by a trained and experienced dentist and an oral surgeon to the tune of $45K, I will echo the above. Though I am extremely happy with the appearance, the follow-ups and tweaking and build-ups and shave-downs to REDUCE a whistle or almost lisp with certain words and sounds have been a real pain. They rebuilt the bottom once and though they did make improvements they were minor. I use to teach a lot and have now totally stopped because of the difficulties. Add to that their projected life expectancy is 10-12 years. All in all, if I had known what I live now, I would have never done it. Sign me sorry but with a great smile.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Chris6424 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:34 pm Wulfmann, thank you for the compliment. Your assessment of the time involved, complexity of the procedure, downsides, potential problems and costs are spot on.
Chris
Chris went off this thread and on emails to offer me great advice and I can't thank him enough for talking me through the various options and what I would likely feel with those different choices.
I know how difficult it can be when you know so much and you have to deal with ignorance of which in dentistry most of us abound, I sure do but he patiently explained the how and why from his lifelong expertise and it was so very helpful and will have an impact on my choices for my benefit
Looking back I have to chuckle at some of my assumptions that had no basis in practical reality
tector

Post by tector »

Wulfmann wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:25 pm
Chris6424 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:34 pm Wulfmann, thank you for the compliment. Your assessment of the time involved, complexity of the procedure, downsides, potential problems and costs are spot on.
Chris
Chris went off this thread and on emails to offer me great advice and I can't thank him enough for talking me through the various options and what I would likely feel with those different choices.
I know how difficult it can be when you know so much and you have to deal with ignorance of which in dentistry most of us abound, I sure do but he patiently explained the how and why from his lifelong expertise and it was so very helpful and will have an impact on my choices for my benefit
Looking back I have to chuckle at some of my assumptions that had no basis in practical reality
Being aware of what you don't know puts you ahead of 90% of the population.

This was a very educational thread. Thanks.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
joel

Post by joel »

tector wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:32 pm Being aware of what you don't know puts you ahead of 90% of the population.

This was a very educational thread. Thanks.
+1
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Gmountain RIP was like that when it came to family law. Now we know who the dentist is around here,LOL.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

But, but I thought you could get it all done in one day...
Bobberfishin

Post by Bobberfishin »

Outgunu wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:25 am But, but I thought you could get it all done in one day...
Oh, usually you can, but YOUR SITUATION calls for a different solution
Casual

Post by Casual »

TonyR wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:35 pm Gmountain RIP was like that when it came to family law. Now we know who the dentist is around here,LOL.
The number of proctologists here vastly outweigh the number of other experts :P :shock: