Pros and Cons of being an EMT/Paramedic

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Saintnick001

Pros and Cons of being an EMT/Paramedic

Post by Saintnick001 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:51 pm

I've been working as a graphic artist for over 10 years now. Currently working at a newspaper. I am no longer happy doing what I do. I don't feel I'm making a difference or being appreciated and most of all, when he grows up I want my son to be proud of what I do. I've been seriously looking at going back to school for EMT cerification and perhaps Paramedic training after that.
Before I jump head first into this, what are the pros and cons of this profession?

ger42
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Pros and Cons of being an EMT/Paramedic

Post by ger42 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Having had the local EMT called 3 times on my behalf I'd say putting up with people like me. The hours have to suck 24 hour coverage everyday of the year just like firemen and policemen.

If you go for it you'll get a big thanks from me. Everyday I'm thankful to the police, fire and EMT for the effort they give.
NRA Life Member
Get Strong Live Long
"Lord, I seek your wisdom and guidance in making me the person my dogs think I am"

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:15 pm

I was considering the EMT basic school just to boost my knowledge and give it a test to see if I'd be into it, all this while I have been laid off, there is still Gov money available under that Recovery and reinvest act program where the Gov will pay for you to go back to school, I'd say let them pay for it [smilie=011.gif] , there are usually night programs available at the local Comm College or Tech schools.

worst case if you hate it and stay where you are, you might learn something to help a loved one in a major accident :-k
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

mkh100

Post by mkh100 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:55 pm

I am a Paramedic here in Orlando. Graduated Medic School a bit over a year and a half ago. It was sort of a childhood dream that I decided to fulfill almost on a lark. I got my EMT while a a Volunteer Firefighter. The Emergency Medical Technician Basic (EMT) is essentially the basic level of EMS provider in Florida. It takes just a semester to attain your EMT, about 13-15 weeks, usually 2 days a week plus around 100 hours riding along on an Ambulance and another 40 or so hours in a hospital. This class prepares you for entry into the EMS workforce. The EMT-B (basic) is the guy who usually drives the ambulance. The EMT also attends to Basic Life Support or BLS patients. BLS patients are non critical and their wounds or illness should not be life threatening. EMT's around Tampa/Orlando make $8 -$10 bucks an hour to start. An experienced seasoned EMT (which there are precious few of IMO) will top out around $14-$15 an hour. Expect to spend around $1000 to get your EMT-B. You have to pass a relatively easy State or National exam after you graduate to get your EMT license. Most folks work as an EMT for a year or more before taking on Paramedic School.

Paramedic School is TOUGH. It takes 3-4 semesters of school, essentially a whole academic year. You will spend 2 or more days a week in class and the rest of your time either in the ER, on an ambulance, or studying. There are those gifted people tha seem to get it easier than others, but that was my experience. The main bitch you will hear from your classmates is that they "don't see their friends and family anymore". Its not really the academics that make it hard....its the incredible commitment of time. If you have to work full time while going to school I pity you. Once you graduate you still have to take and pass a state exam before you can practice. You must pass within a year of gaduation.....or you get to take the whole class over again. I have seen some smart EMT-B's whom I respect finish Medic School and still not pass their State Exam within time. THAT WOULD SUCK !!! Once you have passed your exam and have your Medic Cert. Expect to start out around $12-$14/hour.

Typically an Ambulance has 1 EMT-B and 1 Paramedic. usually they work 24 hours on then 48 hours off. Sometimes you will get to sleep through the night, often you will not. Indeed there are difficult patients and their families, lovers, kids, parents, gogs, arresting officers, etc... to deal with.....thats half the fun !!! You really will not believe the stuff you will encounter till you have seen it for yourself. You get the very best of society, and the very worste.

Around Tampa / Orlando about 75-80% of EMS is handled by your local Fire Dept. You can get hired as strictly EMS at a Fire Dept. but thats rare. So you may want to consider Fire School as well......thats another 4-6 months and its pretty physical. Its smart to start EMS though as most guys/gals can muscle through fire school if they want it bad enough. But EMT/Paramedicine takes a certain amount of booksmarts that tends to weed some folks out.

If you don't want to ever fight fire there are still jobs available. EMS only services like Rural Metro and AMR run both 911 calls and interfacility transfers. They typically work in concert with the local Fire Dept. These agencies are where many get their start in EMS and they provide a valuable service. With perseverence just about anyone who is certified will find a job at oneof these outfits if they want it. Some people will love the atmosphere and make a career right there. Others will use it as a stepping stone to other things.

Several Counties around here have EMS and Fire seperated. To me this is the very best way to do it.......but many don't agree with that. Nonetheless Counties like Lake/Sumter, Citrus, Escambia, Polk (for now), and others provide 911 service to their respective citizens. I like this approach alot and it provides a chance to do the work most think of as "paramedic" without being Fire Fighter Certified.

I have been involved with Fire/EMS Since about 2004. There are jobs out there right now, but its the tightest I have ever seen it. Not unusual for there to be dozens of qualified applicants for a single job. And some places like Orlando and Tampa Fire or Reedy Creek (Disney) may see hundreds of applicants whenever they post positions. It can be tough finding your "dream job" even with all the credebtials and experience.

With any EMS job you also need EVOC to drive an Emergency vehicle. Nearly nobody fails the 16 hour EVOC class (though I know a few who took it twice).

Also, if you don't have a pretty good driving record gettinghired may be very challenging, especialy as an EMT-B. Insurance companies just don't allow them to bring you on.

fel free to PM me with anything specific. I have even taught EMT and Paramedic students so I can likely answere most questions.

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Im in my 12th year working in EMS now. Right now is a bad time to become an EMT or paramedic as a full time career... mainly because of the budget cuts. If you dont mind working for a private ems provider being treated like a slave and getting paid crap.. then go for it. If you want to become a paramedic.. go for it.. but stay away from being a firefighter. Thats like asking your mechanic to do your gardening because they both work with handtools...it just doesnt make sense. There are plenty of county ran EMS providers in florida that pay quite well ( i make approx 60k a year) and you dont need to be a firefighter.

Some of the pros... well.. I work 10 days a month as a full time job. we do 24 hours on and 48 hours off. The pay can be decent. I get free health insurance and a free retirement after 25 years of service.

Some of the cons.... you get treated like crap by patients sometimes. You get to see the worst that people are capable of. If you're working a 24 hour shift there is a very real possibility that you can be awake for 24 hours straight running 911 call after 911 call...
Also, as i said, you might end up finding that the only EMS job you can get is with a private ems provider.. doing transfers from hospitals to nursing homes and hospitals to hospitals.

If you want a rewarding career...and you have a strong stomach and can keep calm under most any circumstances.. then i say go for it. Just make sure you're very science and math orientated.. and be ready to study your @ss off.. because EMT school is fairly simple.. but medic school is not easy. Also, shop around when it comes time to go to school.. stay away from private schools.. and stick more with the accredited colleges that offer EMS degrees... you tend to get a better education. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I can answer most of your questions. Ive been a medic in some of the worst places imaginable.. detroit and flint, MI for example... and ive worked in many different agencies.. private EMS, government EMS, and volunteer EMS. Depending on where you live you're also welcome to come visit me, and I'll give you a tour of the ambulances, and our stations. Hope this helps!
Without guns, we'd be british!

mkh100

Post by mkh100 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Must say I agree with this quote 100%
FLEMTP wrote:If you want to become a paramedic.. go for it.. but stay away from being a firefighter. Thats like asking your mechanic to do your gardening because they both work with handtools...it just doesnt make sense. !
Its absolutely right on the money in my experience. The exception is that there may not be any of the "good" jobs in EMS without going Fire in some areas. I would much prefer to work in a strictly EMS envirement, let the Firefighters cut up the cars and go into burning buildings.....thats important work too. Unfortunately the trend in Central Florida these days is towards consolidation. For example for as far back as I can remember Rural-Metro ran the EMS in Orange County. Orange County Fire has now hired a mess of medics and now does there own transports. One can argue that this means service to the community will suffer (I mostly feel this way myself)........that isn't going to stop the consolidation.

If your lucky enough to live in a county like Lee then its quite a different ballgame. In fact much of South Florida seems to keep a good seperation......and I think its arguably a good thing. If it comes down to it the choice here in Central Florida may be either Fire-Medic or drive Miss Daisy from the Hospital to the Nursig Home and back. Since I cannot move right now I will choose Fire-Medic and make the best of it.

please note that while I don't agree with the consolidation of Fire and EMS I do know some excellent Fire Medics. Not a personal thing......more of a way of doing business thing I have an issue with.

SaintNick......you oughta drive down there and check it out since FLEMTP offered. Lee County has an excellent reputation.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:50 pm

If you want to go the Fire/EMT or medic route, expect to test along with 400-500 other people every time a position comes available. About 10-12 local departments local to central florida hire every year and lately they only hire a few every time. It is very difficult to get noticed and to get into an interview even.
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:11 pm

Gregh181 wrote:If you want to go the Fire/EMT or medic route, expect to test along with 400-500 other people every time a position comes available. About 10-12 local departments local to central florida hire every year and lately they only hire a few every time. It is very difficult to get noticed and to get into an interview even.

You're not kidding.. when I applied for my position.. they had three paramedic positions open.. and just over 600 applicants.. they hired 12 EMT's.. and they had approx 1300 applications.. not even kidding... so it helps to get some face time, know people in the Dept..and be the best you can be... and get some good experience,and be at the top of your game!

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:35 pm

You are correct in that it seems now the way to get hired is to know someone in the dept you are testing for. Or for the fire side, a thing I despise, but the son of a firefighter almost always gets hired and the majority of the time their the dumbest ones of them all.
FLEMTP wrote:
Gregh181 wrote:If you want to go the Fire/EMT or medic route, expect to test along with 400-500 other people every time a position comes available. About 10-12 local departments local to central florida hire every year and lately they only hire a few every time. It is very difficult to get noticed and to get into an interview even.

You're not kidding.. when I applied for my position.. they had three paramedic positions open.. and just over 600 applicants.. they hired 12 EMT's.. and they had approx 1300 applications.. not even kidding... so it helps to get some face time, know people in the Dept..and be the best you can be... and get some good experience,and be at the top of your game!
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Gregh181 wrote:You are correct in that it seems now the way to get hired is to know someone in the dept you are testing for. Or for the fire side, a thing I despise, but the son of a firefighter almost always gets hired and the majority of the time their the dumbest ones of them all.
FLEMTP wrote:

Well i have this theory.. and no offense to any of our firefighting members on here.. but im convinced that the first day of fire school.. they line you up.. take you out back.. and vacuum the brains out of your head...

and then go next door to the medic class and give em to them! [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=011.gif]

mkh100

Post by mkh100 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 am

On Firefighters.......

So you put three Firefighters in a sealed room with no windows.........

You give them two steele balls.......

Seal the room up so there is no way in or out..........

Came back the next morning : 1 steele ball is broken, 1 is missing, and none of them know what happened !!! [smilie=011.gif]

I'm a Firefighter......and a Paramedic.........but not at the same places.

IraG2362
BANNED

Post by IraG2362 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:50 am

I have been an FF/EMT since 1996 starting in NY and now here in Florida, in south florida just being a medic or emt is not worth crap if your married and have kids unless your working in a decent paying Hospital, other wise you will work for a company like Medics, AMR or American. All of which pay crap and you will get minimum experiance. In PBC you will run BLS for the County as you will in Miami Dade , but it is still for crap pay. Despite some other opinions on being a Firefighter that have been posted, if you do decide to pursue this in My area, you will NEED to be a Firefighter as well as a Medic since very few if any Depts hire EMT's any more in the current job market which is the worst since the 90's. FF/PM's avergare pay starts at 45-55K compared to the average of $12 -15 dollars an hour here in South Florida for one of the formentioned ambulance companies.
If you are going to do this I strongly suggest you go to the Fire academy first to see even if you like or can do the job, then if you succeed go to EMT school then on to Medic school, this will take you about 2 years if you go full time for all 3 schools.
12 weeks for full time /6 months for Part time Nights for the Fire Academy , 3 months either way for EMT school and I am not 100% sure on Medic school but I believe it averages about 1 year give or take on the school.
As I mentioned the Jobs here in South Florida are tight to get into, wether it is a Fire Dept or a Hospital as you would be competeing with 100's if not 1000's of other applicants. The ambulance companies are always hiring which is again due to their pay and working conditions..

I have taught many students over the past few years who still havent been hired so now isnt the time unless you can be patient.. And in regards to EVOC , I have failed people in my class ... The other side of this too is untill you get ghired your responsable for keeping up your CEU's for your lisences which costs money and if your not working or volunteering with a Fire Dept within 3 years you have to retest to keep your certs active.

Good luck on your choices and feel free to PM with any questions..
Ira G
FTM PTB EGH
Never Forget 9/11/01
"You show your enemies your Glock. You show your friends your 1911."

guado

Post by guado » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:27 pm

FF/Medic here.

I love the Job. Keep in mind Being a Medic isn't always glorious. Sometimes it plain sucks. Other days you really feel as if you made a difference. The hard part is getting in with a good dept that has enough pull and money.

You can be a standalone medic working for an EMS agency but IMO that blows goats. You work more and get paid less.

If you are interested. Take the semester of EMT. If you like it then move forward. If you thought it was really tough...choose another option. I thought medic was pretty easy...then again I love things dealing with the body. You do use A LOT of time in school and out of school. Fire school-EASY but you need to be able to be very physical have endurance and claustrophobia is not your friend.

IMO it is great to have the job with a GOOD fire dept. I would never do it with a stand alone agency. I Work 9 days a month and get vacation and sick days and benefits.

There are some EMS agencies with good schedules and pay out there but they are few and far between or are being absorbed.

That is my take on it.
~Eddie
NRA member
Cigar Connoisseur

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:29 pm

guado wrote:FF/Medic here.

I love the Job. Keep in mind Being a Medic isn't always glorious. Sometimes it plain sucks. Other days you really feel as if you made a difference. The hard part is getting in with a good dept that has enough pull and money.

You can be a standalone medic working for an EMS agency but IMO that blows goats. You work more and get paid less.
Really? i work for a stand alone EMS dept.. and i make about 70k a year..and ive been there less than 5 years.. thats more than 99% of the fire depts in the state of florida...
guado wrote: If you are interested. Take the semester of EMT. If you like it then move forward. If you thought it was really tough...choose another option. I thought medic was pretty easy...then again I love things dealing with the body. You do use A LOT of time in school and out of school. Fire school-EASY but you need to be able to be very physical have endurance and claustrophobia is not your friend.

IMO it is great to have the job with a GOOD fire dept. I would never do it with a stand alone agency. I Work 9 days a month and get vacation and sick days and benefits.

There are some EMS agencies with good schedules and pay out there but they are few and far between or are being absorbed.
I have just as good of a job with the Dept i work for. I work the same schedule as you, pay nothing for my health care, which is TOP notch ( I might add, that all the fire depts in the county pay for their health care out of pocket. our dept is the only one that does not pay a dime) and I get my state retirement paid for by the county 100%. Our dept is in no danger of being absorbed as our county commission and our Dept administration recognizes that patient care and EMS operations suffer when you let a Fire Dept run things.

I would never work for a fire dept.. because if you are passionate about medicine, its very typical that EMS operations are "brushed aside" and that makes it very hard to be the best you can be as a paramedic when your dept has no real interest in it.

Plus as I stated in an earlier post.. its not a smart idea to ask a firefighter to be a paramedic, or a paramedic to be a firefighter. They are both very time consuming and demanding jobs, with completely different skillsets, goals, and education. Like I said, it would be like asking an auto mechanic and a gardener to do the same job because they both use handtools. I've seen many many many many many examples of poor medicine from fire personnel.. who just dont know any better either because they dont care to do EMS, and only are doing it because they HAVE to in order to be a firefighter, or dont receive any or very little continuing education in medicine because they are too busy doing hose and hydrant checks.

If you want to be a paramedic, then be a paramedic, and find a dept that is stand alone ems, with good benefits and pay. There are MANY of them out there, the firefighters would have you believe otherwise because the fire depts and fire unions want a monopoly on EMS... it keeps their jobs secure in a time when the number of fires are down due to improved building codes. They've basically prevented themselves out of a job, and are now scrambling to justify their existence!

IraG2362
BANNED

Post by IraG2362 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:48 am

I held my tongue in my earlier post, but in all honesty you sound so ignorant to the reality of the job of a FF and yet even more a FF/PM. I would go so far as you sound more like someone who couldn't make it as a FF. The FF/PM's in south Florida Dominate Clincon and competitions like it year after year, ya know why? because they train hard, have great resources and have the REAL experiance to count on for their training. I have worked with stand alone agencys supporting PBC fire depts and couldn't depend on them for crap when needed. I will let know you that In Most depts that use FF/PM's , more training goes into their EMS schooling daily then most other training , sometimes hurting their fire training time.. again you wouldn't know this because of your close minded attitude.

I come from NY where Fire and EMS are separate many cases and my thought process was not that much different then yours way back when BUT I have found that by having a Medic on board and engine or having FF/Medics responding to all calls saves lives , not only for those we protect but for ourselves and PD officers who may be in the need , instead of having to wait for a stand alone unit coming from god only knows where..
I really do not think you ever went to the fire academy and if you did I doubt you made it thru .Cuz if you didnt I am sure you wouldn't be so ignorant to the realty of the majority of Florida fire depts.. The combination of both skills has nothing to do with unions, it is what Cities want, the most bang for the buck from who they hire but again you wouldn't know this I believe because you have been listening to others who have never Been in a Fire Dept or couldn't last . This may seems like a personal attack but in all honesty all you have done is spout your uneducated views .. Granted the Fort Meyers area can be very active, but it doesn't compare to Miami Dade areas, parts of Lauderdale and Lauderhill and Riveara Beach by any means in what they see in trauma, geriatric calls and just the shear volume of calls. Do some more homework before you attack others ...
Ira G
FTM PTB EGH
Never Forget 9/11/01

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:58 pm

IraG2362 wrote:I held my tongue in my earlier post, but in all honesty you sound so ignorant to the reality of the job of a FF and yet even more a FF/PM. I would go so far as you sound more like someone who couldn't make it as a FF. The FF/PM's in south Florida Dominate Clincon and competitions like it year after year, ya know why? because they train hard, have great resources and have the REAL experiance to count on for their training. I have worked with stand alone agencys supporting PBC fire depts and couldn't depend on them for crap when needed. I will let know you that In Most depts that use FF/PM's , more training goes into their EMS schooling daily then most other training , sometimes hurting their fire training time.. again you wouldn't know this because of your close minded attitude.

I come from NY where Fire and EMS are separate many cases and my thought process was not that much different then yours way back when BUT I have found that by having a Medic on board and engine or having FF/Medics responding to all calls saves lives , not only for those we protect but for ourselves and PD officers who may be in the need , instead of having to wait for a stand alone unit coming from god only knows where..
I really do not think you ever went to the fire academy and if you did I doubt you made it thru .Cuz if you didnt I am sure you wouldn't be so ignorant to the realty of the majority of Florida fire depts.. The combination of both skills has nothing to do with unions, it is what Cities want, the most bang for the buck from who they hire but again you wouldn't know this I believe because you have been listening to others who have never Been in a Fire Dept or couldn't last . This may seems like a personal attack but in all honesty all you have done is spout your uneducated views .. Granted the Fort Meyers area can be very active, but it doesn't compare to Miami Dade areas, parts of Lauderdale and Lauderhill and Riveara Beach by any means in what they see in trauma, geriatric calls and just the shear volume of calls. Do some more homework before you attack others ...

Couple of things.. one.. my statements are based on the behavior and attitudes of the fire depts in which i work with in this area.

two.. i've seem more in my 12 years in EMS that you will in a lifetime of working in palm beach county. I worked in detroit, and flint, you want to tell me about trauma and call volume? I had to carry a gun and wear kevlar to do my job and eating was something you did OFF duty. Funny.. the fire depts there wouldn't TOUCH EMS. DFD STILL keeps their ems division separate, and well.. flint FD? they went broke and the first thing they did was SLASH out their EMS division and left it to whomever.. Flint didnt have anyone to pick up the slack.. they brought in units from as far as two counties away to cover it.

We are in the same house as the fire units in our county.. and I watch as day after day after day these fire guys go out and check hydrants, check hoses, run drills, and never once do they practice an intubation, or an IV... you know when they practice? on my patient! If the fire depts want to do EMS fine, you get BLS equipment and skills and leave the medicine to the REAL paramedics.

Where I work the "stand alone" units.. come from the same f*cking fire station the fire units do... so dont tell me they come from "god knows where"

You're right, i did not go to the fire academy.. I have NO desire to be a hose monkey. Instead i went to the POLICE academy!

By the way.. all of IraG2362's statements are right out of the mouth of the fire unions... just thought you'd all like to know! and dont tell me otherwise.. we are IAFF for our dept.. and I hear the arguements all the time.. problem is they wont screw with EMS here, because we hold the voting majority over the fire depts.

Oh, and clincon? yeah.. well.. FD no longer dominates clincon.. go watch one for once... and btw.. anyone can memorize the NREMTP skill sheets and go into a competition and recite it back.. problem is .. they claim to know how to do it in clincon.. but out in the real world they bend over, stick their heads up their @ss and run around in circles... until a real paramedic helps them! [smilie=014.gif]

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:00 pm

oh and one more thing.. i talk to quite a few of the private EMS medics on the east coast.. i dont think any of the FF/PM's in Miami-dade, broward and PB counties would know an ALS patient if it walked up and slapped them across the face.. but then again.. ya'll are in too big a hurry to finish eating and go play who's got the biggest dick in the apparatus bay to care about the patient.

Manatee

Post by Manatee » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:12 am

Rad Tech is an easy cert to obtain in FL and would be a little less painful than EMT/paramedic if it interests you:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/rad-tech/rad-faq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IraG2362
BANNED

Post by IraG2362 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:40 pm

FLEMTP. you still sound like a child who would never and could never make it as a Firefighter.. The FF's whom you observe checking their hydrants are not only doing as they are told I am sure but ensuring that they have a solid and viable water source to protect the public with. You also state you went to the PD academy? so why aren't you a Cop? couldn't hack it? If Detroit is so bad ass for EMS then why come to LEE county ? I cannot speak for those you share quarters with , but your comments still come off as the same i have heard from those who work for the stand alones here who hate FF"s because they couldn't do what the FF's do. It is the same bitching I have heard from the FDNY EMS side of the biz when they complained about the Fire side.
I will also tell you this .. I am not a Union member and have never been one. The depts I have worked down here for were not Union and In my current capacity as a Fire Instructor , I have no need for union representation. My views come from 12 years plus as a FF/EMT , both here and in NY having been a Volunteer FF as well as a Career FF. In a Combination Dept. as well as being a Solo FF on shift to being an officer in charge of Special Operations In one of the Depts. I am also sure those FF/PM's would love to see how you have disparaged their skills while your working for big bad LEE county.. I would also like to see you talk yoru crap to the guys in your station when they are extricating a victim if your in the car doing your thing..
As I said before you sound like a lil kid who doesn't like the fact that The Fire side gets the bigger toys and the better headlines.. Grow up .. The last thing EMS needs is another whiner like you because you bring shame to all those who do their jobs with pride in being part of a team.
Ira G
FTM PTB EGH
Never Forget 9/11/01

Saintnick001

Post by Saintnick001 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Um, ok. Well this isn't helping anymore. I do appreciate all the advise given so far though. I can tell that you guys take your work personally. I'll say this:
The firefighting side doesn't interest me much. No offense to the them, I just think I'm getting a little old for that. Maybe when I was 20 but that was 10 years ago. I'm also now fully aware that I'll be making crap for money until I become a Paramedic or Firemedic. It sounds like I already make more than a 1st year medic too so this somthing I'll have to think about. Wish I could just start as a flightnurse.
Based on the advise given here and through PM's I will attend EMT-B classes at the community college. It's only gonna cost about $1k and I'm going to see if I can't get the man to pay for it. Figure this will give me a good idea weather or not I really want to do this. That or some good first aid learning.