Tac-14 to Full Size 870 Legal?

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
GreyShark

Tac-14 to Full Size 870 Legal?

Post by GreyShark »

Just a thought I had recently, would it be legal to put an 18.5" or longer barrel and a full stock on a TAC-14 so you could switch between full size shotgun and short "firearm" according to whim?
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

I'm no attorney but called the ATF years ago to confirm that very thing. I was told that yes, you can do that. SBR AR15 (which is what I asked about) was no longer an SBR once a 16" upper was put on it, and could be transfered without issue to another party. Slap a shorty on top, and it's back to where being regulated. I was told if an SBR was sold in 16+ configuration, just mail (email?) the ATF requesting the rifle be removed from the registry, but it was not a concern if you did not.

Again, I'm no attorney, so take it for what you will.
GreyShark

Post by GreyShark »

Cool, thanks. I was thinking that might be the case, kind of like the carbine conversion kits they make for pistols that are legal as long as you use a 16" or longer barrel. Most likely I'll just get a Shockwave grip for my existing 18.5" 870, all I want is a compact shotty I can discretely travel with. Up to now I've been using a slip-on recoil pad on a conventional stock so I can easily remove the stock for transport with a screw driver. Too bad Remington brazes the mag tube in place, if it was threaded we could make takedown 870's. Folding stocks are an option but side folders are bulky, top folders look awesome but aren't actually very comfortable to shoot.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Yes/No. Once you install a stock (and an 18" bbl) on the Tac-14, you're making a "shotgun" from a "firearm". The Tac-14 is "built on a receiver that never had a stock installed" (PGO). Once you install a stock, it loses its' classification.

So, you can go forward (Firearm ---> Shotgun)...but you can't go back (Shotgun ---> Firearm).

Now...who's gonna know? Nobody. So just do it and stfu about it. :lol:

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/non-nfa-firearm/
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

That's a good point. The box even says firearm instead of shotgun or anything else.
GreyShark

Post by GreyShark »

The ironic thing is I can remember a number of years ago the ATF was floating the idea of turning PGO shotguns with 18"+ barrels into contraband.