Computer questions

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Richard2003

Computer questions

Post by Richard2003 »

I have a three computer networked office. The server is 6 years old. Signs of starting to fail. Time to get a new one. It is a Lenovo.
Looking for Windows 10 pro as I was told not to get the home version. We are running Windows 7 pro now on it.
I have looked at Dell and others. I have no idea what the different processors mean. Like i3-8100 or i3-8500. etc.
Is there a minimum level processor that will work? Do I need 8 g ram or is 4 ok?
Any suggestions on where to buy one besides Dell? Need to keep it under $600 if possible.

Thanks.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

The most important question is what are you using the server for?
Richard2003

Post by Richard2003 »

Using it for a health care practice.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I am prone to Intel based. I build my own PCs so I won't recommend a particular PC vendor.

My recommendation is that for a business server you get a desktop with an I7 but make sure you get one with at least 4 cores - which means 8 processors. There are I7 models that have dual cores (4 processors) but while that might be ok for a old lady surfing the internet at home and has no clue and wants the cheapest on possible it would be vastly under-powered for a business.

The other important part is to get a solid state boot drive, and you can add any other hard disks you need. Most come with 256GB which is enough for home use but you might run out depending on your apps so go with a 500GB SSD for boot. I do NOT like the Samsung SSD myself as I had bad experiences with them. Most of the modern motherboards come with a M.2 or similiar right on the motherboard, some MB have duals.

For memory, 4GB is minimal, but it will run good with 6GB. But I have no idea what software you are running and depending on that you might need more.

Funny, I would have thought that a healthcare business would buy their software turnkey, including hardware?
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

I haven't shopped for a while so not up to speed on latest processor numbering terminology.

Ram is one of your best bang for buck, it's cheap and helps things run quickly, I've got 16 Gig on my laptop.

And the newer solid state (vs conventional) hard drives are really good, no moving parts. My laptop is few years old and it has what was called a hybrid hard drive, part solid state part conventional. Some of the industrial computers are all solid state now, now worries about vibration damaging drives.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
macattack321

Post by macattack321 »

Is it a web server? Database server? File server? Application server?

I also assume that it has to undergo some sort of HIPAA compliance process...?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

You ain't getting a decent server, with drives, ram & software, for under $600. You can go the "ghetto" route and use a PC as a server, but it's not a true server.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/ct ... 5686207322
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Synaptic Misfire

Post by Synaptic Misfire »

This is what I do for a living, would be glad to give a few minutes of advice. PM me if you'd like.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 pm You ain't getting a decent server, with drives, ram & software, for under $600. You can go the "ghetto" route and use a PC as a server, but it's not a true server.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/ct ... 5686207322

^^^ This ^^^
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
photohause

Post by photohause »

Whatever you do, stick with DOS
“You didn’t finish school, did you?