Gov. DeSantis signs HB-1, the "Anti Riot" bill into law.

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Miami_JBT

Gov. DeSantis signs HB-1, the "Anti Riot" bill into law.

Post by Miami_JBT »

Gov. DeSantis has signed the "anti-riot" bill into law and I have a number of issues with it.

HB1 is a bad idea.

1. Rioting and Looting is already a crime.
2. The use of lethal force is allowable if you are in fear for your life.
3. Local Cities should be allowed to disband or defund their police departments.

This was nothing but political show boating for 2022 and 2024. It does absolutely nothing. Additionally, granting government MORE AUTHORITY is never a good thing. There will be a time where the "other side" is in power and they will use this law to silence their opposition (Constitutionalists).

The pro-gun protests in VA for example will be squashed under this law if such an event was held here in FL.

If Po' Dunk FL wants to disband their PD because they can't afford it and instead save the taxpayers some money by simply contracting with the Sheriff's Office. Under this law, they can't do it without the state's approval because that could be seen as "defunding the police".

If a violent mob blocked traffic and I was in fear for my life since they were trying to gain entry into my vehicle, I'd already be covered under the law to defend myself. Thus, this law added nothing.

The only good thing from this law is making local government officials accountable if they order the police to stand down and not enforce the law during a riot. But that could have been pushed by itself.

Furthermore, this bill and its supporters is a huge problem. The biggest issue with it is that people claim they're for liberty and freedom when in reality, all they're for is their side wearing the boots of oppression and curb stomping their political adversary. They never think how the idea of giving government more authority will always in the end be used against them.

Worse though, this bill first went through House's Criminal Justice & Public Safety Subcommittee, chaired by Rep. Cord Byrd. It did not have a Senate companion bill. Yet Rep. Byrd brought it up for a vote in his committee. When he said he would not bring up HB 123, Constitutional Carry up for a vote in the very same committee for the very same reason.

Why did this bill advance and Constitutional Carry did not?

1. Gov. DeSantis was politically showboating for 2022 and 2024. he spent political capital on on HB1 but not HB 123.Rep. Byrd, running for the State Senate in 2022, also politically showboated.
2. HB 1 grants the government more authority, HB 123 lessens it.

And people think that Republicans actually care about the Constitution or Liberty. HA!
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Taco

Post by Taco »

Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:57 pm Additionally, granting government MORE AUTHORITY is never a good thing.
So strange to see this level of sanity on the internet, especially here. I've leave before I start talking about Amendment 1 again- seems some folks here only support Amendment 2.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Taco wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:29 pm
Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:57 pm Additionally, granting government MORE AUTHORITY is never a good thing.
So strange to see this level of sanity on the internet, especially here. I've leave before I start talking about Amendment 1 again- seems some folks here only support Amendment 2.
It is an issue I see with people that label themselves as Republicans, Conservatives, and Patriots as a whole. I recall during the TEA Party movement, so-called Patriots were openly protesting Obama's tax hikes, but holding up signs that said "protect Medicare Part D" and "don't raid my social security". I laughed all the way back to my truck.

Most on the Right are just the same as those on the Left. They support big oppressive government since it is their side controlling it and they get to benefit from it.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Removing liability protections from officials was a win. They should be accountable for their actions.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Deputydave wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 pm Removing liability protections from officials was a win. They should be accountable for their actions.
That could have been pushed by itself. I'm fine with that, everything else attached to it is a problem.
GreyShark

Post by GreyShark »

One thing's for sure, there's an actual attempt at Marxist revolution going on right now. They've successfully seized strategic targets like mass media, big tech, educational institutions, significant portions of the judicial system, entire cities, counties and states. They're completely comfortable using violence and the threat of violence to advance their agenda, they're completely comfortable with attacking court houses and police departments, seizing control of neighborhoods, etc. This is an actual and present existential threat, I'm grateful our state hasn't fallen under their control yet and we need the legislative tools to effectively combat them.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Okay Ronnie D - so you signed a meaningless piece of fluff that guarantees you another half dozen appearance on Fox Network. I'll give you that.

Now, show us the hair on your balls and put some pressure on your politically self-serving counterparts in the legislature to get some legitimate gun-rights-protection bills brought to the floor for a vote. Only THEN will I be truly impressed.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I'm shocked we still have red Flag law in Florida.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

lakelandman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:03 pm I'm shocked we still have red Flag law in Florida.
You're shocked?

The current Senate President, Wilton Simpson (R) is the guy that penned the Red Flag Law in 2018. He was elected to be the Senate President by the Republican majority in the State Senate.

It was passed by a Republican Supermajority and most of them are still on office.

If you think the RPOF is pro-gun, I have a bridge in Tampa to sell you along with some land in the Everglades.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Odessaman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:38 pm Okay Ronnie D - so you signed a meaningless piece of fluff that guarantees you another half dozen appearance on Fox Network. I'll give you that.

Now, show us the hair on your balls and put some pressure on your politically self-serving counterparts in the legislature to get some legitimate gun-rights-protection bills brought to the floor for a vote. Only THEN will I be truly impressed.
Session ends in less than a week and a half. Unless you demand that he calls a special session. Nothing will happen.