Found my unicorn rifle. How would you proceed?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

BerettaRacer wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:45 pm
tcpip95 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm I just called a local dealer in Mobile. He said that as a FL resident I can go there, buy the gun, put it in my trunk and drive back home. No FFL required, so I may take a drive next weekend and look at it. I know that when a buddy came down from PA, he bought a shotgun off of me. The state of PA required him to transfer via FFL.
Only if you actually tell someone you bought it, wink wink. What happens between two people is nobody else's business.
The issue there is that if I go and kill someone or commit a crime with it, unless the seller has an audit trail that shows it was transferred to me, even a bill of sale may not be enough. The last known owner of that weapon would only trace back to him. I know that's a bit of a stretch, but that could be a reason.

I would love for it to be just me handing him $1,000 and have a nice day. It sounds like that's the case. If I were him I'd get a Bill of Sale showing my ID, CWL showing who I sold the rifle to, date, and copies of all the documentation - including who I bought the rifle from.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

tcpip95 wrote:
BerettaRacer wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:45 pm
tcpip95 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm I just called a local dealer in Mobile. He said that as a FL resident I can go there, buy the gun, put it in my trunk and drive back home. No FFL required, so I may take a drive next weekend and look at it. I know that when a buddy came down from PA, he bought a shotgun off of me. The state of PA required him to transfer via FFL.
Only if you actually tell someone you bought it, wink wink. What happens between two people is nobody else's business.
The issue there is that if I go and kill someone or commit a crime with it, unless the seller has an audit trail that shows it was transferred to me, even a bill of sale may not be enough. The last known owner of that weapon would only trace back to him. I know that's a bit of a stretch, but that could be a reason.

I would love for it to be just me handing him $1,000 and have a nice day. It sounds like that's the case. If I were him I'd get a Bill of Sale showing my ID, CWL showing who I sold the rifle to, date, and copies of all the documentation - including who I bought the rifle from.
This unlikely to be an issue. I have a number of firearms I have handed a guy cash and received the gun and most of those owners had done similar to get it in the first place. Beyond the first sale outside of a 4473 or registration, guns just can't all be traced.

Oh, don't kill anyone either. :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Hope it wasn't in a storm surge area...
TACC

Post by TACC »

Good luck, tell us the outcome, I'm curious

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

UPDATE: It was not meant to be with the guy in Alabama. He went quiet on me when I offered to drive to Mobile and pay cash.

Yesterday I heard that Browning is doing a limited run of Grade II BAR MK III in LH in 30-06, .308 Win and 300 WM. I contacted Browning directly and they confirmed it. They will be doing the run in the spring of '21. I got the product numbers from them and contacted a local Browning dealer and placed the order. Pre-orders get first priority then the rest go out on first come first served after that.

Now the wait...
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Sometimes, it all works out for the best. Here's the real trouble. I got a unicorn rifle (my Henry in 44), now I want another unicorn rifle (a Henry .22), which will open the door to another. It' a sickness. Could be worse, I suppose.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

REDinFL wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:16 pm Sometimes, it all works out for the best. Here's the real trouble. I got a unicorn rifle (my Henry in 44), now I want another unicorn rifle (a Henry .22), which will open the door to another. It' a sickness. Could be worse, I suppose.
For some of us it is a sickness, one grail/unicorn gun only leads to another, and another, ad nauseam.
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

I would be super careful on arms list 99% of the ads on their scams I can't tell you the number of times people have contacted me because someone saw something I was selling on GunBroker listed on arms lists through a different seller using my pictures