J.W. Corbett Shooting Range

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Re: J.W. Corbett Shooting Range

Post by flashooter22 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 am

Went out there last week checking on my property...there is now some landscaping on property (big palms at entrance) and the trap area ranges seem to be leveled out. What is disappointing is absolutely no work on any structures yet. The existing ranges all look like s';t, they are overgrown, and the berms are washed out a little from not being maintained. Typical government project.

EDITED TO ADD...Just took a look at the permits on the public county building website (you can look too use Leisure construction as the company in search) and the permits are in process. Now I dont know crap about permits but there are a ton of "issues" with plans that have come up in the permitting that I see that seems to be extending the process. Permits for the buildings have been in progress since January.
Last edited by flashooter22 on Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 am

flashooter22 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 am
Went out there last week checking on my property...there is now some landscaping on property (big palms at entrance) and the trap area ranges seem to be leveled out. What is disappointing is absolutely no work on any structures yet. The existing ranges all look like s';t, they are overgrown, and the berms are washed out a little from not being maintained. Typical government project.
They're gonna use MSD to drag their feet on it since our Mayor is super anti gun.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:07 am

Skoll wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 am
flashooter22 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 am
They're gonna use MSD to drag their feet on it since our Mayor is super anti gun.
Look at my edit...the project is stuck in permits right now. Could that be on purpose? It looks like there are a numerous issues with the plans that is being held up in the permits stage.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:12 pm

Nothing but beaurocratic bs, the legitimate tax payer in this country gets nothing but double talk, I got a bad feeling on this project being completed anythime soon, I can see a private company buying the land and taking it over ...

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:40 am

Based on everything that still has to be done, I think it's going to be another 12 months or more before they are ready to open.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:56 am

Held up in permits....in Palm Beach County?......the hell you say.

Every time anyone has to deal with PBC permiting, just hire a lawyer from the outset. Learned after two rental remodels that dealing with the county is like dealing with someone who is deaf, dumb and blind.
But it is Ironic that a county project is caught up in the county permit process. Or is it? Monkey and football are the poster for PBC's ability to do anything.

Skoll,
The road to a public range in PBC has been a long corrupt political trip that still hasn't come to a conclusion filled with theft of public funds( but since that happens everywhere, no one cares), broken promises, lies and tax funded public servants afflicted with the God syndrome. Been fighting for it since the 90's when Pittman Roberston funds were set aside to build a range and public owned land was donated back to the public(irony).

Enter the typical slight of hand political two step.

PBSO needed a decent training spot. I'm all for that. I believe the police need the best training we as tax payers can provide thru our tax dollars.
The typical kill two birds with one stone back room hand shake took place and it was decided to build a PBSO range instead and ALLOW the public to occasionally shoot there, rifles only, run by PBSO range masters.

Tried it for 6 months. fought to allow silencers, as first was told negative along with others. At one of our shooting clubs matches one of the PBSO range masters water headed kid decided to play behind the berm on a cold range. Everyone came back, PBSO range master called the range hot and a number of shooters approached to fire. All of a sudden this tard kid pops his head up and the range master screams stop. Then proceeds to call the shooters a bunch of irresponsible, etc, etc. We all packed up and never went back. I hear its some what better, but Okeechobee aint' that much farther and they have a great steak house out there after a day of shooting.

Bunch of us went to the next packed county range meeting to complain about how these deputies kids were left to roam free on a gun range and being under age, drive county owned 4 wheelers which if one would have been injured the PBC tax payers would have had to pay out big time.

Basically ignored by the corrupt system who's representative at the meeting did not seem concerned in the least what the tax payers had been promised was not delivered.

The money that we as shooters, gun owners and hunters pay thru the PR tax was diverted (read stolen) plain and simple.

Let PBSO have their range, but give the tax payers of PBC what has been due them and NO LAW ENFORCEMENT unless off duty at the new range.

GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:34 am

Water Rat, maybe a call to the State Attorney's Office ( that the money may have been mishandled) or a class action lawsuit from you guys/girls up in PBC would get the ball rolling on SOMEBODY putting their foot up someone's ass!

racer88

Post by racer88 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Water Rat wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:56 am
The typical kill two birds with one stone back room hand shake took place and it was decided to build a PBSO range instead and ALLOW the public to occasionally shoot there, rifles only, run by PBSO range masters.

Tried it for 6 months. fought to allow silencers, as first was told negative along with others. At one of our shooting clubs matches one of the PBSO range masters water headed kid decided to play behind the berm on a cold range. Everyone came back, PBSO range master called the range hot and a number of shooters approached to fire. All of a sudden this tard kid pops his head up and the range master screams stop. Then proceeds to call the shooters a bunch of irresponsible, etc, etc. We all packed up and never went back. I hear its some what better, but Okeechobee aint' that much farther and they have a great steak house out there after a day of shooting.

Let PBSO have their range, but give the tax payers of PBC what has been due them and NO LAW ENFORCEMENT unless off duty at the new range.
Hmmm.... I've been a semi-regular out at the PBSO range for the last couple of years. I can say that it is a WELL-RUN operation. At least in my experience... they run a good show. So well, that I really enjoy it there. The RSOs have all been great, and the range is as safe as any I've been on.

Okeechobee is 1 hour 15 minutes from me. So, that's 2-1/2 hours of driving. The PBSO range is 20 minutes away from my location. A trip to Okeechobee ends up being a full day event. I wish the PBSO range was open more often. But, it's MUCH more convenient.

While I have been looking forward to the new range being opened (for YEARS), a part of me worries that it won't be run as well as the PBSO range. I fear it will attract a bad element (as certain other public ranges have been known). I think the presence of LE at the PBSO range dissuades that certain element, if you know what I mean. :) And, the PBSO crew really does a great job, IMO. The PBSO range is kind of a "best kept secret," so it's rarely crowded. And, most of the time, it's the same "cast of characters" shooting there. So, we get to know each other. It's almost like a private shooting club.

Our current outdoor range situation in PBC pretty much sucks, especially if you want to do any rifle work. The PBSO range is great, but it's 100 yards on Saturday. 200 yards on Sunday. Once a month. Then 300 yards on a Sunday, once every three months. Ugh! Otherwise, you're looking at HOURS of driving to the next nearest outdoor range.

I hope they can get their **** together on this new range. But, it's not looking good, eh?

chuckusaret

Post by chuckusaret » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:55 am

Never had a problem at the PBSO range except the limited number of days for civilian use. Okeechobee is just too far to travel, about 140 round trip for me. The New county range is slowly but surely becoming a reality, but I'm sure County management will screw it up when it opens.