DPMS LR-308 Stock Replacement Sanity Check/Question

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
itsnunya
Executive Member
Executive Member

DPMS LR-308 Stock Replacement Sanity Check/Question

Post by itsnunya » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:41 pm

I have a DPMS Gen1 LR308 with an A2 stock that I want to make a bit lighter and more practical for hunting. I have already removed the 24" Bull Barrel and replaced it with an 18" SASS barrel. Next, I want to replace the buttstock and have a couple questions for clarification.

1.) I am looking to put a B5 Bravo stock. Does anyone know of any issues using that model (or a comparable model) on a 308 platform? Not sure how it will hold up long term.

2.) I have been doing some checking and if I have interpreted everything correctly, I just need to install an AR308 Carbine Tube, Spring, and Buffer. Is that an accurate statement?

Any other comments or suggestions also welcome.

Thanks,

Bill
NRA Life Member

itsnunya
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: DPMS LR-308 Stock Replacement Sanity Check/Question

Post by itsnunya » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:21 pm

So, after finding a few more threads elsewhere it seems I answered my own question about what is needed.

Is there really any valid reason to spend the extra $$ for the 308 Carbine Buffer Kit (Tube, Spring, Buffer) from HeavyBuffers.com ($180) vs a comparable kit from Aero Precision for much less ($66). It is quite a bit of difference, but are there really significant benefits to the heavier buffer?
NRA Life Member

john in jax
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: DPMS LR-308 Stock Replacement Sanity Check/Question

Post by john in jax » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:30 pm

The heavier buffer slows things down, by slowing things down it is supposed to yield a little more reliability and a little less wear and tear.
I think that upper has a rifle length gas system which will help too.