permanent antique plates

Discussions of all things with motors, wheels, wings and ?????
Rebel

permanent antique plates

Post by Rebel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 pm

I have a few over 30 year old cars with Connecticut reg that I want to register in Florida.
I see you can send to Tallahassee for permanent antique plates that only cost $46.50 once and no yearly reg after that.
My question is, do I have to get standard antique plates first, or can I just get a title on each one and send that to the capitol with insurance cards to get these plates?
Thanks,
Aaron
62 Studie Hawk (for sale)
63 Corvair Greenbrier van
63 Buick Rivi
75 Benz 450SL
57 DeSoto Adventurer
outside of a dog, a gun is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to shoot.

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Re: permanent antique plates

Post by boomboom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Definition of a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Florida

Prior to registering an antique car or a custom-built vehicle in Florida, motorists are encouraged to get familiar with the difference between these types of vehicles and the specific requirements that they must satisfy. Drivers can apply for an FL antique vehicle registration and special antique license plates if the car they own is for private use, is at least 30 years old and has been manufactured after 1945. Vehicles that are used for private purposes and manufactured in 1945 or in the previous years will be considered ancient vehicles. Owners of ancient vehicles may obtain special horseless carriage license plates. Custom car registrations, on the other hand, are needed for vehicles 25 years old or more and date from the years after 1948, or for cars that were manufactured with the purpose to resemble such vehicles. Drivers may also apply for a custom vehicle registration when they own street rods. A street rod is a car from the year 1948 or older or manufactured in order to look like the vehicles from that age. Both the custom vehicles and the street rods may be modified from the original model and may have a body re-manufactured from non-original materials. This is the main characteristic that differentiates custom-built cars from antique vehicles.

Steps in the Florida Custom Vehicle Registration Process

Obtaining a Florida custom car registration may be completed by visiting a local FLHSMV office and providing the required requirements. Vehicle owners can register custom cars or street rods by completing the following steps:

Complete a registration application.
Provide payment for the license tax and a processing fee of $3.
Provide a written statement that the vehicle will be used only for occasional transportation, parades, tours, exhibitions and club activities and not for personal use.
The classic license plates for custom-built cars or street rods will be divided into separate series, beginning with either "Custom Vehicle 1" or "Street Rod 1". In addition, vehicles that are registered as custom cars or street rods will be exempt from emission inspection.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 am

I'm interested in permanent antique plates, they are only available by sending paperwork to Tallahassee.
So, I need info addressing my previous question. Can I use just a title, or do I have to get a regular antique plate first?
I ave several cars and would like to keep the fees as low as possible.
Thanks, Aaron

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 pm

ok, went to the tag office today in New Smyrna.
The info lady never heard of permanent antique plates.
She did tell me that I could get a title for $88 but I need a vin check and have to sign that I won't operate the car till I register it, which precludes me driving it home.
So, I need to get vin checks at my home and storage units, then I can proceed without having to get any other type of reg. I may just register the convertible as I don't want to lose this good weather.
Aaron

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm curious about this also. I have an 86 Defender 110 with antique plate... sure would be nice to only pay for the plate once.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 pm

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Eh... my Defender doesn't qualify for that. Bummer.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters