Survival "Eats..."

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Survival "Eats..."

Post by firemedic2000 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:49 am

Sorry long post and can't sleep. On pain meds and have a doctor appointment in morning. Prepping for surgery. For something that's been effecting for 4 months. Hurt to much to sleep. [smilie=012.gif] So I'm rambling.

I just tried WISE freezed dried beef noodles with mushroom sauce. I have always prided myself of being able to eat just about anything because of being an ex Army Ranger and I have to say I meet my match today [smilie=011.gif]

But this crap WISE is putting out, at least some of it any ways. It's just not Edible without getting sick or gagging on it. I've got two more to try. Chili with noodles or chili mack as I call it and another noodle dish. But hey I'm gun Ho =:e

I'd read reviews on WISE and so far they are spot on. I tried the lasagna or what they called lasagna. I took one bite and could not eat it. My dog will eat anything and even she ran from it with her tail tucked [smilie=eek.gif]

Now I'm not saying all of their products bad. But come on. I guess when they say survival food they mean it. You have to be near starvation to eat it.

Those commercials where they show families sitting down at a dinner table getting ready to eat Uh WISE food [-( that ain't WISE in those dishes [smilie=011.gif]

Now Mountain house freeze dried foods. I've not tried one I did not like. I love their biscuits and gravy and other foods. =:e =:e But you have to buy it in the #10 cans and on sale.

I'm curious about the Augason Farms stuff  also. :-k

Beans like pinto, black and other beans and white, brown and wild rice and things like that you can buy in bulk. Store in food grade plastic bags inside 5 gal food grade buckets with moisture absorbing packets is the way to go for some protein foods. That's another great idea. Flour, corn meal and other things like that can be done the same way. Don't forget things like lard/cooking grease/oil My brother does this. He's got one helluv food store room

Water storage in food grade 30 gal containers and 50 gal if you don't plan on moving 50 gal far is the way to go.

I actually store at the beginning of hurricane season 220 gals of water of which 2/ 50 and 4/ 30 barrels. I use food grade Hydrogen peroxide as an additive to the water. I had a 30 gal barrel I keep in a cool dark area for 8 year once treated that way.

Had it under a bench and forgot about it. When I went to remodel the storage room I realized I'd never emptied it when I went to move it. When I popped it open it was crystal clear and drinkable. No mold no nothing.

FOOD GRADE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE is a great way to treat and sterilize water for storage. Just be sure to sterilize the barrel properly also before adding water.

I want to get one of those stainless steel water distillers. Where I can distill saltwater into freshwater. I consider in emergency situations water the very most important survival item.

unless you live on propery with a well and hand pump you need some means other than stock pile of bottled water that will eventually run out you need a water source to clean water.

It makes sense for me because of where I live and those units can be gotten fairly cheap and can distill saltwater or even water from any source. Here are two units.

Waterwise WW1600 Non-Electric Water Distiller 
http://www.waterwise.com/productcart/pc/1600.asp

Survival Fire Distiller 
http://waterdistillers.com/survival-fir ... distiller/

Food to can stock pile for short term. For a few months fairly easily. But you must have water and it always seems water is the first to go out or is contaminated. So if it's contaminated you can distill it and not worry about filters or if your getting everything.

Sure you can boil it if you have power or gas. But I really dont like boiling water because when they say boil your water because......WHAT'S it contaminated with. They never tell you everything.

Case in point county was doing work busted water main. Now this may have been just a Conquincidence. But a week after that pipe broke (my drinking water like is on filters) my neighbor next to me collapsed at the supermarket and spent a month in the hospital.

He almost died. He's 68 y.o. my neighbor across the street 67 yr old went bed his cousin said he was not feeling well. He did die........two other people on my street withina 300 yard range all older people ended up sick in the hospital.

My next door neighbor Bob said he did boil the water. His wife told me she did not drink any of the tap water. She drink bottled water.

I'm sure this is all just Conquincidence :-k but Ronnie man he was doing great. I'd go over and sit with him and have a beer and we'd smoke a cigar and talk and watch the water and tell lies about fish we caught. He use to be a write for some news papers and traveled all over the country and world.

I really enjoyed listening to his stories. He grew up here on Shell Point. His family has been here since the 30s. He just told his cousin he'd not been feeling well for a few day. Since he'd been drink from that tap. Laid down and Tom said he'd not gotten and went to check on him at noon. He had passed. He will truely be missed. Ronnie was a really great guy and I'll miss our talks and listening to his stories. Image

That was four people in a week with in days of each other that either died or went in the hospital. About 5 days after that water line broke. Bob went in the hospital and Ronnie died on the same day.

But evetone thought Bob was going to die also. 30 days in the hospital and they never really figured out what caused him to collapse and go into seizures. Something virus, bacterial. I ABSOLUTELY believe it was from the water and effected older people with compromised immune systems. The 4 people I mentioned are just what I know of. I don't know how many it could have effected.

Distilling will take care of everything and you don't have to worry about running out of or replacing filter. This is a long term and great for short term to. Absolutely sterile water

You can always fish, hunt pick fruit off trees. But two or three days without water and you will kill for it. Plus you need to wash yourself ect. So to me water first then food, medical supplies of coarse security and that includes lots and lots and lots of batteries and low draw led lights, night vision motion sensors from harbor freight at a minimum that will last several months on their batteries.

Because if your at the point where your having to live off of your food stocks your in a bad situation and when those that did not prepare get hungry find out you have food and especially water. Especially water and they can get water they will come and take yours. Even your neighbors who did not prepare will feel that they are obligated. That you are obligated to share with them.

But like I said. This is only if you are actually in a situation when you are totally dependant on your supplies and say there's no way out. No stations open for gas ect. I saw a situation like this early on during Andrew when I was working that area after the storm. Let tell you.

If you had something and the have nots wanted/needed it to survive. Guess what happened. The have nots roamed in small gangs. There were signs posted everywhere that read. LOOTERS WILL BE KILLED They were not joking either.

They found dead bodies every day while I was down there. I was there for 6 months helping out. The police could not handle all the crime. They'd rob the same stores every single night. I stayed out of Homestead except during the time we were there doing our jobs.

Those people did not care whst uniform your wore. Especially at night when the crimes, killings took place. L.E. most the time found bodies in the daylight. Unless you were csll to a specific location. You really did not go patroling off the main areas. That what one officer told us.

Gangs come a running into areas like this after storms to specifically loot, rob or do whst ever they can get away with.

That brings up my last advice. Do not tell anyone that lives in your area or who you work with. What you have stored food and water wise. Do not tell any one what kind of supplies to stock pile. Again if you are put into a situation where you actually do have to really use those supplies.

You've stocked piled enough you and your family to last what'd you say, 2 months. If the have nots find out what you have and they cant get anything to eat or drink and they know you hsve food and water. If they are desperate enough. They will do whst ever it takes to get yours.

That includes your neighbors. I had a neighbor once, he's dead now and it's a good thing. Saved me the trouble. Myself and others and he. Were shooting the bull and stock piling for shtf came up. I asked him if he has anything.

His exact words were. Hell no...if it get's that bad where the shtf. He said I know who's stock piling supplies so why should I. I'm going to just blow their asses away take their S@#T and rape their wifes then kill them to.

He then laughed about and went inside his house. The three of us decided right there that F'er was dead the moment anything ever did happen. He cheated us out of the pleasure of frying that perverted %$#@#@#%%&%$#

So do not brag, tell or decuss with people in your area unless it's a group of you that area prepping together. Which is a great idea. Numbers are better than one individual for security reasons
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:01 am

firemedic2000 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:49 am
Sorry long post and can't sleep. On pain meds and have a doctor appointment in morning. Prepping for surgery. For something that's been effecting for 4 months. Hurt to much to sleep. [smilie=012.gif] So I'm rambling.

So do not brag, tell or decuss with people in your area unless it's a group of you that area prepping together. Which is a great idea. Numbers are better than one individual for security reasons
Thank you for such a well thought out treatment! [smilie=cheers1.gif] As stated earlier, I'm probably on a 6 month cycle (Starting June 1st), but it's always good to think "longer term." Hope you're feeling better, BTW!

In that spirit, if you are planning "long term storage" in greater quantities, and you had the acreage on your land, would you prefer to store in your main house, or build a "storage building" on the property and store there (i.e. one of those "pre-fab" storage units) provided you can anchor it properly on a concrete slab, electrify it (thereby making it "climate controlled"), and it's rated to survive any wind storm/damage?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:43 am

FfNJGTFO wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:01 am

In that spirit, if you are planning "long term storage" in greater quantities, and you had the acreage on your land, would you prefer to store in your main house, or build a "storage building" on the property and store there (i.e. one of those "pre-fab" storage units) provided you can anchor it properly on a concrete slab, electrify it (thereby making it "climate controlled"), and it's rated to survive any wind storm/damage?
best bet would be an interior room and climate controlled , if you store in an out building in FL it better be A/C'ed
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Most canned goods are SAFE to eat for many, many years--way beyond the expiration date, which is usually really a "best by" date. Now before they become unsafe, depending on the product, they may become less appealing--texture may degrade, etc. But I could probably survive off a cache of canned goods forever.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

I have some 5 year expired Beef Stew if you wanna be the guinea pig :-k ...on Molivo's old When SHTF forum I posted pics now fuked by photobucket of some expired canned stuff, it develops a yellow sludge like material, kinda like solidified grease on top...even canned vegetables has that, it must be something in the preservative.
thats why your supposed to drain and rinse that water that canned vegetables come in, its mostly preservatives
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm

If the integrity of the can itself has not been compromised, it is usually just a question of how appetizing something is, not how safe.

Some of us are old enough to remember when their weren't bogus "expiration" dates on everything. Milk and eggs, yes--a can of green beans, nope.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:21 pm

tector wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm
If the integrity of the can itself has not been compromised, it is usually just a question of how appetizing something is, not how safe.

Some of us are old enough to remember when their weren't bogus "expiration" dates on everything. Milk and eggs, yes--a can of green beans, nope.
its preservative, not embalming fluid, I'm sure it all expires someday :ham'r

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Back in 1967-68 my father ate a lot of US military C-rations and K-rations which were made during WWII. He said some fresh ones were made during Korean War (1950-1953). He said they were not tasty but it filled your belly and kept you going.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:54 pm

Yep, proof is in the freezer! 🤠
R/Griff

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 pm

rug357 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:00 pm
Back in 1967-68 my father ate a lot of US military C-rations and K-rations which were made during WWII. He said some fresh ones were made during Korean War (1950-1953). He said they were not tasty but it filled your belly and kept you going.
I remember Crations in the late 70s I liked them. The pound cake, john wayne bars, eggs and ham, hot sauce made everything tastes great. Was not fond of pork slices to much but I ate them. Just make sure you had your trusty p38 on your dog chains [smilie=011.gif]
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:30 pm

Bunch of f#;.,/g soccer moms here...Jesus.

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:30 pm

[smilie=011.gif]

ilsrwy27
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ilsrwy27 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:17 am

If you are allergic to Wise, I suggest you try Mountain House. Same 30 year shelf life, only hot water needed.
It is more expensive than Wise but a lot of people prefer it and it has been used by the US military and NASA:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=1582964

You will find tons of videos on Youtube comparing the two and Mountain House comes out on top just about every time.

dld

Post by dld » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:13 pm

I used some beef ramen noodles I had stored that had a 2015 date on them. They had a horrible twang ( taste) to them. I threw away the rest of them, a whole $2.00 worth.
I guess in a emergency they might be eatable but I would not want to try