Problem with Ghost upper.

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Problem with Ghost upper.

Post by N4KVE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am

I was at the WPB gun show this past weekend. I purchased a Ghost 7" upper from Southern Guns. The price was right, & I had no problem with the Ghost 10 1/2 "Commando" upper I purchased from them last year. Tried it out at SS yesterday, & the gun wouldn't cycle at all. Gun shot fine if I cycled it by hand. Showed the upper to the store managers, & they laughed. The gas block was totally loose, sliding on the barrel. Rather then send the upper to the MFR, I'm having Sid the smith at SS fix it. The "Commando" upper has a fixed front site, so the 2 pins holding the site prevent it from moving. On this upper, the barrel is supposed to be "dimpled" so the set screws get a good grip on the barrel, preventing the gas block from moving. Guess they forgot that step. Here is the upper. GARY
https://www.ghostrifles.com/collections ... -5-56-nato
PS. Sid just called. The gun is ready. The MFR did not dimple the barrel, or use loc tite on the set screws. It is correct now.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Problem with Ghost upper.

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:15 pm

another Ghost horror story [smilie=011.gif] , I've fixed a few, over the last couple of years, just another low cost AR manufacturer with a bunch of internet hype

their skeletonized lowers look cool tho
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Well, they are a stand up company. They are refunding me the $35 it cost to repair the gun. I was told they do not dimple the barrel, or use loc tite to secure the gas block. Sid @ SS did, & tested the gun, & so did I when I picked it up. GTG now. Merry Christmas Rent. GARY

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 pm

And the check arrived. So remember, if you buy an AR from Southern Guns, or Ghost, the uppers are not dimpled, so the gas blocks are not properly held in place. GARY.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:42 pm

No one dimpled gas blocks 10 years ago....what if you wanna change gas blocks at a later time :-k ....the dimples are NOT gonna line up....so why do it [-(
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:42 pm
what if you wanna change gas blocks at a later time
Funny, that's what the boss at Ghost said. I replied I have no reason to change the gas block. And if I wanted to change anything, I'd buy another upper for $200. That's the beauty of the AR. There must be a reason people dimple them. GARY

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:56 pm

N4KVE wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 pm
That's the beauty of the AR. There must be a reason people dimple them. GARY
Because the same cool kids on Arfcom that like KNS anti walk pins think they are cool =:wvr

Keep buying that bargain basement crap and spouting off about how great it is..... if you looked at their stuff on Instagram that wonderful Ghost company. Is 5 Millennial aged skateboarder kids in a 2 K warehouse assembling ARs from bottom basement parts......but I'm not gonna continue with you because it's only $ 200....and that's your mentality.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:59 am

Cool, or not, dimpling the barrel fixed my upper. It works now. But thanks for the tip about Ghost. GARY.