J.W. Corbett Shooting Range

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Re: J.W. Corbett Shooting Range

Post by 870Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:15 pm

Trouter3 wrote:...hope they blacktop that entrance roadway or it's going to be nasty when it rains ....
That'll keep the nim-nods in Prius' out. [smilie=011.gif]
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 pm

I just think its funny that people are bitching about the place and its not even open yet. Give them a chance. We have been trying to get a nice outdoor range in Palm Beach for as long as I have been shooting and its finally almost done.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:35 am

flashooter22 wrote:I just think its funny that people are bitching about the place and its not even open yet. Give them a chance. We have been trying to get a nice outdoor range in Palm Beach for as long as I have been shooting and its finally almost done.
This right here. We got one and its a pretty good size. With time they will see that it brings in good revenue and they can add more stuff to it.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:25 pm

HuskyHK wrote:
Quint57 wrote:Can anyone confirm what I've been hearing... no plans to host any action pistol matches? No IDPA, USPSA, SASS, or 3-Gun?
I heard this from a lady in the know. They are not going to host carbine classes either. I was shocked, also one second between each shot rule..no rapid fire. This is going to suck.
AKA Markham Park

Hopefully you won't have to shoot geometric shapes too (no silhouettes)

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Is there any ETA about when this is supposed to be done? I've never been to an outdoor range, what kind of etiquette ( besides the normal safety stuff ) is expected at one?

tlturbo

Post by tlturbo » Sun May 14, 2017 11:36 am

Any chance of getting some up to date pictures? Game and Fish sent a few out a couple of weeks ago. Concrete has been poured for rifle and pistol shooting positions and roofs up.

RalphS

Post by RalphS » Sun May 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Concrete has been poured for rifle and pistol shooting positions and roofs up.
Where exactly did you see this? I was out there a week ago to have a look. 3 of the 5 ranges (the 2 handgun and the 100 yd rimfire range) have baffles and roofs over the shooting line completed. The other 2 do not. Those are the 300yd and 200yd high power rifle ranges. So, it's only about 1/2 completed.

There are some nice drone shots posted on ar15.com in the hometown section. Those photos are about 1 month old and it looked to me that nothing has changed since then.

When I was out there on a Monday at about 1pm, there was nothing going on.

tlturbo

Post by tlturbo » Sun May 14, 2017 2:43 pm

This was on the FL Fish and Wildlife site a week or 2 ago. I agree, this only shows one or possibly 2 ranges, not the whole thing so kind of hard to tell. I assumed they would pour all the concrete, put up all the roofs, etc rather than do all of one, then another.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out those drone shots.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:43 pm

The drone shots have been the best I have seen for overalls. Hope he goes out again soon and does them.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm

3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

skltr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by skltr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Anybody have any updates on the opening of this range?

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Last update I saw was that the opening won't be for a few for a more
Months. The existing building that was supposed To Be renovated and made into the check in and bathrooms was in such poor repair it had to be torn down and rebuilt. That had added several months to the opening.

tlturbo

Post by tlturbo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:51 pm

This is an excerpt from an update I got last week from FL Fish & Wildlife Seems like it is dated a month ago??

My main concern is the last paragraph. The rifle and pistol ranges were to be COMPLETED in Phase One and now we are working on Phase 2. And they haven't even awarded the contract (by end of the year) to do the buildings that they need before opening. Also, as we talked about earlier, the 200 & 300 yd ranges don't have baffles or shooting line roofs which the update says are scheduled for "later in the project". I inquired about when "later in the project" meant and they didn't know. So it doesn't appear that the 200 300 yd rifle ranges will be ready until who knows when.

September 2017

Phase II Construction begins at Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Park.

When complete, new park will offer Olympic shooting sports, hunter safety classes and other recreational opportunities.

Progress is being made at the Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Park. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) awarded MJC Land Development of Royal Palm Beach the contract to complete the second phase of construction at this facility. Phase II consists of clearing the remaining 150-acre site, completing the stormwater retention controls, and installing the remaining roads, parking, sporting clays course and major utilities. MJC Land Development began phase II construction Sept. 15.

FWC is on track to release the request for bids for the support structures – admission building, classroom, restrooms and maintenance building – before the end of the year. Construction of these supporting structures will run concurrently with the phase 2 construction efforts.
“As soon as the supporting structures are built, we should be able to open the handgun and rifle ranges,” said Dean Stoddard FWC’s construction manager. “Depending on the contractor’s schedule, this should be during the first half of 2018.”

Phase I construction was completed in June 2017. It consisted of the site work on the west side of the complex, including the rifle and handgun ranges. The shooting lines and safety baffling was completed for the 30-position 10-meter/50-foot handgun range, the 42-position 25/50-meter handgun range, and the 20-position 100-yard rifle range.

Site work also was completed for the 200- and 300-yard rifle ranges; however, the shooting lines and safety baffling for these ranges is budgeted for completion later in the project.

madman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by madman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:46 pm

I smell the progressive politicians of Palm Beach County all over this one.
What, FWC built two or three others around the state, starting about the same time and they're open? Something stinks. [smilie=042.gif]
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"The Constitution cannot defend itself. It is the duty of the People to defend it."
-Robert L. Schulz

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Coincidentally I drove by today and the site looks abandoned, saw some heavy machinery doing work east of the range but that was it.
Overgrown grass and bushes at the pistol and rifle lines.
Saw something weird AF on the dirt road to the range, water was flowing in one section east and west over the road in the same spot..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 pm

madman wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:46 pm
I smell the progressive politicians of Palm Beach County all over this one.
What, FWC built two or three others around the state, starting about the same time and they're open? Something stinks. [smilie=042.gif]
More like entrenched good ol boy families, just ask Audrey. PBC politicians are just puppets, stupid ones at that.

Been fighting for this since the early 90's and when the pitman robertson funds were stolen to build the pbso range which was supposed to be the public range.